Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Loading Dies= Confused!
 Login/Join

posted
I want to upgrade several sets of my loading dies to the bushing type made by Redding. The ammo loaded will be used in hunting rifles, not match guns. However, these rifles are very accurate and I want to load the best, most uniform ammo I can to wring out every last bit of accuracy from the rifles.
Redding makes their Type S bushing dies in a neck size only and a FL model.they also make their Competition series with bushings. Which would I be better off buying, and why?

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I like the FL sizer and Competition seating die set.......................

posted Hide Post
John,
I use the Type S bushing neck die set and a body bump die for my custom .243 Ackley Improved and my Winchester/H-S Precision Classic Sporting Sharpshooter 7mmSTW.
Unless you intend to full-length resize your brass every time, you don't need the FL dies. The body bump die will move the shoulder a few thousandths if you feel it's necessary after chambering the brass.

I don't see the need for the Competition dies personally. I establish maximum COAL (based on my magazine length), and move back from there if accuracy is not what I want it to be.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote