New
Find
Notify
Tools

primer choice
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am wondering what is the general consensus (or is there one) as to primer choice for the 300 Win Mag? Powders to be tried will likely be H4350 or H4831 or RL19/22/25. I have generally used CCI 250 magnum primers but have heard recently that perhaps a standard primer (CCI 200 or Fed 210) would be plenty hot and may give lower extreme spreads in velocity. Thanks, Rufous.

Posts: 224 | Location: Walla Walla, WA 99362 | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
<George Foster>
posted
rufous,

I don't know if it will be applicable to your gun or loads but I have always had the best accuracy out of my rifles using the Fed210M primers.

Good Shooting,
George

one of us
posted Hide Post
Federal 210M is the best choice, maybe at a nice warm day at the range the standard primer would work better, but what about when the temp is around zero?

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fed. 210 or 215, try them both and use the one that works best...Mostly I use 215 in Magnums and 210 in non magnums, but not always.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
For any powder from The fastest to 4350, the standard primers are fine. From 4350 to 4831 and similar powders the the large rifle magnum powders are ok. For large cases and very slow powders I use the federal #215M primers. All other primers are CCI.

------------------
BigBob

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
WLR

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote