New
Find
Notify
Tools

need help forming 6x284 brass from 284 Win
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is my problem. 6x284 win w/ a .268 neck. I FL resize case down w/ a Redding 6.5x 284 FL die. Then I run them through a 6x284 Redding FL-Sdie w/ a .269 bushing. Now I put them in my Forester neck turner and turn the nechs down to .264 outside neck dimension. Problem is now there is a burr on the bottom of the neck right at the shoulder junction, and when I try to close the bolt there is significant resistence. Is ther an easy way is fix this? Should i do something different? I darken the case w/ black felt tip pen and after I pull the case out there is a bright shiny ring where that burr is so i know that is my problem. Help!

Posts: 94 | Location: Tri-Cities, WA | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
This is probably not the answer your looking for, but as long as they will chamber they should be ok after being once fired.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Contact Sinclair International www.sinclairintl.com
They have a tool for just about everything in reloading. Maybe a Forester inside neck reamer just big enough to remove the donut at the bottom of the neck?

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the "burr" is inside, ream as mentioned above.
I suspect your talking about the ridge at the junction of the turned/unturned area of the neck, and my suggestion would be to cut just a tad further down the neck (until your just touching the shoulder)

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try some 6.5X284 brass.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
do you think it would help if I neck-turned these cases before I resized the necks? The burr is on the outside, but I've thought about reaming the inside to the same diameter all the way, althoughthe bullets I'm using(Sierra 107gr MK) are just barely seated in the tops of the necks maybe 3/32 of an inch. I assume my best accuracy will be w/ fire formed cases, but i want as good as I can get from the first firing.
Has anybody used Redding case forming dies sold specifically for the 6x284. I thought just a 6.5x284 FL and an 6x 284 FL-S die would suffice. One more thing than could be screwing me is the bushing doesn't size the whole neck completely. It stops just short of the neck-shoulder junction.

Posts: 94 | Location: Tri-Cities, WA | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote