Find
Notify
Tools

Crimp die for cartridge 300 Weatherby Magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted
Hello, I'm going to reload soon 300 Weatherby Magnum cartridge, and I bought a second hand set of Hornady dies which consists of two dies. I have consulted on a Spanish forum if the die is placed in the shell is also made of the crimp, and there are shooters who have said that I need another specific die for crimping and other shooters have told me that no cartridges do not need crimping. What advice would you give me?, Do I have to buy the third-specific crimp die?, Is the 300 Weatherby Magnum cartridge needs to crimp?. I will inform you that the cartridge will be fired in a bolt action rifle (a Weatherby Vandguard). Just that, thank you very much.

Oscar.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Almost all rifle seating dies can be adjusted to apply crimp. Read the directions, that come with your dies or, consult your reloading manual.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To crimp or not to crimp? Not all cartridges need crimping. I don't crimp my loads for the 7x57, .270 or .30-06. case neck friction is adequate to retain the bullet without slipping. Crimp may be required for heavy recoiling rifles to prevent slipping of the bullets or bullets being forced deeper into the case in the cartridges in the magazine and crimping may be required for reliable functioning in some semi-automatic rifles. Almost all pistol cartridges need a crimp.

Your seating die should be able to provide a crimp. To use the die to seat the bullet first screw it in with an empty case in the shellholder with the ram at the top of the stroke. You should feel the crimp ring in the die contact the mouth of the case. Back the die out so there is no contact and set the die up for seating the bullet. After all the bullets are seated with a loaded case in the shellholder back the seating stem out screw the die in till the crimp ring contacts the case mouth. Back the case out and screw the die in about 1/2 turn and then raise the ram to crimp the case. If it is satisfactory lock the die in place and proceed to crimp your cases. Some people adjust the die so it seats and crimps at the same time but this can result in shaved metal off the bullet.

Does the 300 Weatherby need crimp? I guess the answer is maybe. I'd probably try without first and see how it behaves and then crimp if necessary.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
You probably don't need to crimp a 300 Weatherby. To find out, measure cartridge length, load it in the magazine, shoot several rounds and see if the cartridge length of the cartridge in the magazine has changed at all after several shots. If it doesn't change, you don't need to crimp.

Jerry Liles explained very well how to set up your die for crimping. Some choose to crimp in a separate operation and, in fact, with some cartridges you have to crimp in 2 operations to avoid case deformation. Another excellent way to crimp that will give a heavy crimp without case deformation is with a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
OK I'm going to copy into the Google translator, the text is in the manual so I dies saving unnecessary expenditure. Thank you very much.

Oscar.

I am Spanish

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Delighted to help Oscar. Let us know how it works out.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't crimp my 300 Weatherby loads but if I did, I would get a Lee Factory Crimp die. I use them on 458WM, 458 Lott and 416 Rem and Rigby.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Scarboro:
I don't crimp my 300 Weatherby loads but if I did, I would get a Lee Factory Crimp die. I use them on 458WM, 458 Lott and 416 Rem and Rigby.

Thanks Ed, I might buy the crimping die to have it and if I buy a bullet to crimp band. Thank you all again.

Oscar.

I am Spanish