New
Find
Notify
Tools

Necking up 3006 up to 9.3x62
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I havent done this one before so,... I necked up 3 pieces of 3006 brass useing just a 9.3 expander on my hornaday 9.3x57 die. Then trimmed the neck back just about .020 so the empty brass would chamber and bolt close on a 9.3x62 chamber.

Now the shoulder on these is still abit shorter than a 9.3x62.

Anyone fire form 3006 brass to 9.3x62 this way?

Im thinking the proper way would be neck up with a bigger expander ball than 9.3, then size back down to 9.3 so there would be a small shoulder for beter headspaceing.

I am ordering some 9.3x62 dies and graf brass after the holiday

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Or seat the bullet into the lands so the case is supported. Ive only gone upto 338.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've taken 280 brass all the way to 416. I normally now stop at 375 and use cylinder brass for the larger calibers. I form brass both ways false shoulder and jambing the bullet into the lands. If you have a larger expander I prefer it.

But either one will work fine.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been making 9.3x62 brass from .35 Whelen brass. I run it over a .375 expander, then a .416 expander. Then I run it through the 9.3x62 die set so that the bolt will just close with a little resistance. They seem to last well in my rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
GSP,

I am sure nothing untowards will occur but in the tome Big Bore Rifles it is advised against using 30/06 brsss for 9.3 & 7x64 cases since each is constructed otherwise in the case head area.

Appears plenty of folks do it though.

Like Fred said ensuring the bullet is into the lands to support the case during the fireforming is prudent and also using a load that gives enough but not too much pressure to form the case to the chamber.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems like too much trouble- the Grafs brass is good (and cheap).

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote