Notify
Tools

Wanted: 7 x 57 R reloading data
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted
Dear Sirs!

I own a Ferlacher BBF ( combination gun with rifle barrel under shotgun barrel ) in 7 x 57 Rimmed.

I know Norma data ( with URP it looks good ).

Does anybody of you have any ( personal or general ) reloading data for this round?

I want to replace the RWS 173 grs H Mantel load, I would like to start with Hornady´s 175 grs RN IL, but please furnish all data you have!

Thanks in advance, Hermann

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 339 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What make of powder are you going to use? You can find data for Viht. powders on www.Lapua.com
I can give you the data for Rottweil powders from my RWS manual.

BTW If you're considering a heavy bullet, I would go for the 175 grain Partition.

Posts: 98 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
Data for Hornady 175 RN:

Norma 204: Min.- 42.0gr yields 2307 fps
Max.- 44.0gr yields 2395 fps

Norma MRP: Min.- 46.0gr yields 2280 fps
Max.- 48.2gr yields 2415 fps

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
Juggernaut, are those "R" data?

Looks good, keep it coming!

I want to use the RB Bullet, as this is close in appearance to the H mantel bullet and I don´t want to have much different POI, as the scope has no side adjustment, the scope itself has to be bent ... regrettably!

Also I had excellent results with ( S & B ) SPRN bullets - they simply kill! And as the rifle is a short range woods affair, I don´t need a spitzer type bullet.

Greetings, H

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 339 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our very own "Gerry" loads the 7x57R, maybe he'll chime in, or you can write him a PM. I'm not sure what powders he uses - but it will be something generally available in Germany.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
In my Ruger 7X57mms, a No. 1A and an M77, I use 54 grains of Re22 or MRP with the Nosler Partition 175-grain bullet for 2720 FPS MV. This is with either Remington, Norma, or Winchester brass.

Therefore, I see no reason why 46 to 48 grains of either of these powders wouldn't be a good load for a combination gun in 7X57R.

IMO, in a strong bolt action or single shot, it is not possible to get TOO MUCH RE22 or Norma MRP into a 7X57mm case with any bullet of 175 grains or less. You run out of case capacity before dangerous pressure levels are reached.

Some combination guns are a lot stronger than others. I have a Heym 55/77 with a .30/'06 under a 20-ga. This rifle will handle any sane .30/'06 load I care to use in it.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Lapua manual 1st edition (now reprinted in at least 2nd edition) lists 1 load for a 7 x 57R. It is "R" data!

Bullet is 170gn Lapu and either "Lockbase" or "Mega" styles.

Vihtavuori N160

Start load 39.2 grains or 2.61 grams.

Velocity 2000fps or 625 m/s

Intermediate step 41.3 grains or 2.72 grams

Velocity 2100 fps or 650 m/s

Max load 43.4 grains or 2.83 grams

Velocity 2200 fps or 675 m/s.

Ditto for Vihtavuori N165:

Start load 41.1/2.74

Velocity 2000/625

Intermediate Load 43.4/2.87

Velocity 2100/650

Max load 45.8/2.99

Velocity 2200/675

Given that you want to use 175gn and these are for 170gn I reckon the start loads would be ok and use the intermediate loads as a max.

Posts: 197 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out www.reloadersnest.com

I did'nt find my 6,5x65R there, but I am sure you'll find yours.

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arminius,

Here's some loads I use with either RWS or Geco brass and Federal 210 Large Rifle Primers.

Barnes 120 gr. TSX - 50.0 grs. VV N-160

Nosler 140 gr. Ballistic Tip - 48.0 grs. H-4350 (outstanding accuracy but explosive on Roe Deer)

Hornady 154 gr. Round Nose Interlock - 49.0 grs. VV N-160

RWS 177 gr. TIG (now Brenneke) - 47.0 grs. VV N-560

The TIG & the Hornady are both fantastic short range, deep woods thumpers; either load will anchor the largest Red Deer and shoot from stem to stern through a Wild Boar. Although I haven't tried the Hornady 175 grain Round Nose Interlocks yet, my positive expereince with their 154 grain bullets would suggest they ought to be every bit as good - if not better.

I use a modern Blaser K-95 not a Ferlacher BBF so I'd advise load reductions to start.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Incdentially, I am looking for data for "popular" powders ( read also: "cheap" ;-)), data for Rottweil Powders I have!

But IMR, H, AA ( and "stronger" VV data ) are what I seek!

WH H

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hermann,

Rottweil powders may be popular & available in your neck of the woods but they certainly ain't cheap. Even here in the Fatherland they are one of the most expensive available; so I haven't bought any although they are obviously VERY good powders. Those I know who do elect to pay the premium consider them excellent.

The velocity from these loads are by no means immpressive by today's standards but the penetration from the heavier, longer bullets; is EXCELLENT but the 7X57 is noted for this forté with longish, heavier bullets.

IMHO any of the IMR4350, H-4350, VVN-160 & 560 powders should eventually offer fantastic accuracy and solid killing power in the old 7X57R. Also Accurate 4350 is being currently offered here in Germany at a pretty good price.

Good luck in finding the odd load or two that may shoot to the same point of impact due to your scope constraints.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Tips!

I think I´ll start with VV N 160, which is exactly half the price of Norma propellants ... or maybe I find a half full can of AA 4350 ...

Then the Hornady bullets, Primers I have some stored, a LEE die set ( ?!?!? ).

I think I use my old RWS cases, buying new ones only, when successful!

But maybe I buy a LEE Factory Crimp die, just to have one more Variable, which to try!

Good shooting! H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think crimping can introduce inaccuracy, but have never done it as I cannot see any value to the process. VIT N160 will give you around 2300 f/s when using 43 grains and 175 grain Noslers or Hornady. If your rifling will let you use lighter bullets, then 140 grain Barnes, Noslers, Hornady,etc. can be used. There are tons of info out there. Use the AR reloading info and see about it first.

Posts: 1077 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hermann,

There's a couple of ways to go with the Sizing Dies. You can purchase a set that are marked 7X57R like mine are from RCBS; but I bought them years ago when the price was reasonable. Today you pay a premium for the Rimmed versions.

Or you can simply purchase the less expensive vanilla-flavored 7X57 Sizing Die set and use with the correctly sized rimmed shell holder. I use a Lyman 7X.

Yes, do purchase a Lee Factroy Crimp Die, I forgot to mention that I use one. Lee claims you can use them for all bullets regardless of whether or not they have a cannelure (also Saeed has done some testing that supports their use for both accuracy, velocity increase and uniformity) but just color me old fashioned; I only use it with bullets tha have a cannelure. Works great with the Hornadys, TIGs and the Barnes TSX's.

Cheers,

Number 10

One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
Gerry, I´ll take a regular 7 x 57 Mauser die set with a LEE # 5 ( Magnum case head ) shell holder.

I could use also RCBS # 4 or # 26, which both will work with Magnum case heads.

I want the LEE factory crimp die to include one more variable, and because the factory RWS rounds are exactly so crimped, so if I try to copy, I WANT that option! Because of a chance more to get the same POI, not beacause of accuracy issues.

H