New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accurate Arms 2520
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have heard of significant MV variations from lot to lot with Accurate Arms powders. Has anyone had experience with recent batches of AA 2520 in this regard?

Also, how temperature sensitive is this powder compared to a stick powder like Varget?

one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
I use AA-2520 in my .308 win, 30-30 and 32 Special. I have not seen any big diffrence lot to lot on the powder I have purchased to date, though I cannot clain to have used hundreds of diffrent lots. Velocity is quite consistent out of the .308 and I can achieve max velocity out of my .32 Win compaired to the other powders I use. It's clean and meters very well, I like it.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scout Master 54:
I use AA-2520 in my .308 win, 30-30 and 32 Special. I have not seen any big diffrence lot to lot on the powder I have purchased to date, though I cannot clain to have used hundreds of diffrent lots. Velocity is quite consistent out of the .308 and I can achieve max velocity out of my .32 Win compaired to the other powders I use. It's clean and meters very well, I like it.

Thank you.

I have read of users experiencing up to 200 fps reduction in MV for the same charge from one lot to another. But that was nearly four years ago.

I wonder if Western Powder's purchase of Accurate Arms had increased consistency.

I guess I can try it and see.

posted Hide Post
Several years ago Accurate did have some problems with lot to lot variances. It really hurt them so far as reputation. Some of that had to do with them buying Chinese powder which they currently do not do.
The purchase of Accurate by Western will not change any of their products. All manufacturers will remain the same. Basically, it is just a different company importing and marketing the powder.
As with any ball powder you will see more temperature sensitivity than you will with one of Hodgdon's extreme powders. The only powder company who claims that ball powder can be temperature insensitive is Ramshot. I've heard good reports but haven't used any of it myself.

Posts: 16 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote