New
Find
Notify
Tools

Berger cartridge cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently bought 100 rounds of once fired brass in anticipation of using them in my 7mm Remington Magnum. Although they were listed as a mixed lot, I expected them to be predominately R-P manufacture. Much to my surprise, when I separated them out by manufacturer, there were almost as many rounds of Berger brass as R-P. As a former competitive shooter, I was very familiar with Berger bullets, but I had never heard of Berger brass.

Out of curiosity, I weighed ten R-P cases and ten Berger cases, and found the Berger cases to be more uniform in weight than the R-P. I also checked the neck thickness with my tubing micrometer. The Berger cases proved to be more uniform, averaging .013" +/-.0005". The R-P deviation was slightly greater.

Has anyone had any experience with using this brass, and does anyone know who is manufacturing it for Berger? The only cartridge cases I have encountered which exhibit this degree of uniformity were made by Lapua or RWS.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Berger is owned by NAMMO. They also own LAPUA.

I'd bet the brass is LAPUA, and just headstamped Berger...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That merger just took place recently. You think they were in "cahoots" beforehand?

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Berger is owned by NAMMO. They also own LAPUA.

I'd bet the brass is LAPUA, and just headstamped Berger...

Just as I suspected! Elementary, my dear Watson,