Find
Notify
Tools

.30 30 loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted
i was wondering if anyone has had good results with some 170g or 180g flat point projectiles out of a 30 30. i got a marlin 336 shoots the win power point 150g real nice and i have only tried the serria in 170g fp that sprayed badly. i was thinking the cor loct 170g remingtons or something like that.
any results you can share?
thanks greg

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greghud:
i was wondering if anyone has had good results with some 170g or 180g flat point projectiles out of a 30 30. i got a marlin 336 shoots the win power point 150g real nice and i have only tried the serria in 170g fp that sprayed badly. i was thinking the cor loct 170g remingtons or something like that.
any results you can share?
thanks greg
IMR 4895 powder, Hornady 170 gr. FP bullet no.3060. Try the Sierra 170 gr.FP bullets no.2010 with the IMR 4895 first. See if that helps.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Since Sierra bullets are pretty accurate, I am thinkling your problem with them may be due to the powder, rather than the bullet. What load did you use with them?

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One that works great for me and was somewhat of a surprise is 34 gr RL15 with a 170 Hornady. Shoots never more than 1.5 at 100 yards with a peep sight and velocity is 2130 fps. Velocity variation from shot to shot is under 5 fps.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want a real nice load for your 30-30 and it makes it like a different gun as well, load up some 130gr Sierra FN in it! My 94 shoots right on with 150gr.Then i shot the 130grs at the same distance(100yds) it shot perfect in every respect but it was 11" high.Thats the difference in the cartridge. Try it. The load is 37 grs of Bl-C=2610fps

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Nosler 170 grn. roundnose bullets (which are safe to use in a 30-30). I have done a ton of research with my 30-30 and one day I discovered a load out of an old handloader magazine using Hodgdon 322 (and later found it listed in the Sierra manual as an accuracy load). I now only shoot two loads:

150 Sierra RN with 30.5 or 31.5 grns H322(2300fps)
170 Nosler Par. with 29.5 grns H322(2150fps)

Both loads shoot around 2" groups with a 2.75 scout scope (I have a Marlin 30TK). All other powders and factory ammo I've used shoot roughly 5-6" groups. I figure a 2" group could give me an extra 50 yards in an emergency situation. I don't really need partitions for deer but selected the bullet because it is the only 170 roundnose that I know of. Also, the H322 burns very clean (is a benchrest powder). Anyway, that's my .02. Just wish it wouldn't have taken me ten years to find a couple good loads.

Posts: 247 | Location: Oz | Registered: 19 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If a 30/30 is inaccurate, 18 to 19 grains of SR 4759 will also tighten up groups pretty dramatically...with either 150s or 170 grainers..

Velocity is lowered to about 1850 fps for the 170s... but it will tighten up groups real well...enough for me to use it as my standard load...

However, as the gentleman above jnemmers points out... H 322, RL 10 and IMR 3031 are also very accurate powders in the 30/30...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
thanks for the responce, where i live it mite be a little hard to get some of the powders you mentioned but i will keep an eye out.
is there any use trying to go biger than 170g in a projectile? i see you can get 30 cal projectiles quite heavey but will the 30 30 handle the extra weight?
its just i am looking for something with a bit of whack for donkeys and wild horses, i was hopeing to get reasonable accuracy as alot of the shots are close range (sub 100 mtrs)
thanks again
greg

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
thanks for the responce, where i live it mite be a little hard to get some of the powders you mentioned but i will keep an eye out.
is there any use trying to go biger than 170g in a projectile? i see you can get 30 cal projectiles quite heavey but will the 30 30 handle the extra weight?
its just i am looking for something with a bit of whack for donkeys and wild horses, i was hopeing to get reasonable accuracy as alot of the shots are close range (sub 100 mtrs)
thanks again
greg

In a word, yes and no. Ok, that was three words. There used to be a cartridge named the .303 Savage which was a 30-30 class round that shot a 190 gr. Silvertip bullet. There were quite a few old timers that felt that old .303 Savage was a much better round than the 30-30 due to it's heavier bullet. Gun writer Sam Fadala wrote in his excellent book on the 30-30 Win., that he felt Winchester made a serious mistake in not loading that 190 gr. bullet in the 30-30 or selling the bullet as a component for reloaders. About as close as you can come to that today is either buy some .303 Savage (Winchester brand)and pull trhe bullets, (extremely expensive) or buy the RCBS bullet mold (#30-180-FN) and cast your own. In wheel weight metal, they'll run right at 190 grains and will do 1950 FPS with 28.0 gr. of W-760, IIRC. That velocity duplicates the .303 Savage round as advertised with a 26" barrel from my 20" M94 Winchester or Marlin. They worked well on the two deer I shot with them, but as both shots were broadside, both bullets were complete pass thoughs and not recovered.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:
thanks again
greg
Steves loading data for 30-30 The trouble with heavy bullets over 170gs is you loose velocity and the 30-30 does not have a lot to start with. The 30-30 head spaces on the rim of the round, you may want to try backing you full length die out a little, .005" to get a better fit to your chamber. This might help accuracy. Also, i never crimp the rounds as i have never had a bullet move under recoil, or pressure from the magazine spring pushing on the bullets. I would guess the bullets designed for the 30-30 are not as heavely constructed as other .308" dia. round nose bullets that are not listed for the 30-30 win.

One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
i found some 180g win power points at my local these are the round nose style.

these were going cheap and i figure i will load them in the .308 if there no good in the 30 30.

im wondering if these will be too heavy for the 30 30 and if the bullet is made to be driven harder, if the 30 30 will get it to open up. its another 10g more than listed on steves pages.

is it worth a try?

thanks greg

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:
i found some 180g win power points at my local these are the round nose style.

these were going cheap and i figure i will load them in the .308 if there no good in the 30 30.

im wondering if these will be too heavy for the 30 30 and if the bullet is made to be driven harder, if the 30 30 will get it to open up. its another 10g more than listed on steves pages.

is it worth a try?

thanks greg
The round nose may not be safe in a tube magazine, the nose riding on the primer. To be safe you may want to stay with the Flat Nose bullets. I would guess the 180gr would be a heaver construction for calibers of a higher velocity.