New
Find
Notify
Tools

digital scale . . .
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
am looking to get a digital scale - don't need bell's & whistles, just an accurate digital scale (preferably can be set to both grains & grams, but grains alone is fine).

looking to balance price (inexpensive) and quality - cheapest reliable scale available.

troy

Posts: 285 | Location: arlington, tx | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PACT, they make the RCBS sclaes, but with their name on it, they cost less. Go figure.

I use the RCBS digital scale, not the most expensive one either, and it seems to be very accurate,...and with all of the requirements you listed.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Delta Hunter>
posted
I would not buy the PACT BBK II (or the same one with the RCBS label) if I were you. It needs recalibration far too often if you ask me. I've got one and I can't load 10 rounds with it before the displayed weight starts drifting a few tenths from the true weight. I now use a Redding No. 2 Master beam scale to weigh powder charges and couldn't be happier.

I suspect the more expensive PACT digital scale is much better. This is basically what PACT says on their website.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Suggestion, and comments

Don't buy a battery powered digital scale without an AC adapter. Constant, consistent flow of power is necessary for accurate operation. Weakening batteries are not sufficient power sources for dependable weighing.

A digital scale works by measuring electrical flow changes across a cell or "plate" as the plate changes dimension by bending due to the weight placed on it. Obviously, any change in the in-put power may cause a change in the reading if it contributes to a change in electrical flow across the cell.

Higher priced PACT scale with AC/DC converter power source works very well.

Most digital scales are very sensitive to wind currents and other drafts, such as created by the going on and off of the forced air furnace in your house. A practical draft shield can be made by putting the scale inside a large carboard box, lying on its side (the box, not the scale), open side toward you. If there is a door into your loading room, close it.

Many times (but not always) "drift" of scale readings come from not letting the scale "warm up" before using, from changes in temperature of the ambient environment, or from drafts.

Some folk think beam scales are more accurate. They are not, if equal quality scales are used.

Digital scales sometimes appear less accurate because they are often more sensitive, show their readings in ways that variations are more easily read, discriminate between weights in finer increments, or are not set up properly for use.

Beam scales are also sensitive to temps, dust on the bearings, and all sorts of other friction varying phenomena.

"Pays yer money, takes yer cherce"...

AC

[ 04-01-2003, 00:20: Message edited by: Alberta Canuck ]

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently got the Dillon digital scale and I'm only moderately happy with it. It seems to lose zero very easily. It doesn't lose calibration, I can re-zero, drop the cal weight on and it's right on the money. It just loses track of it's starting point. After a load or three, It'll start reading -0.2 or -0.4 grains with an empty pan. I have to re-zero and re-check the last load I measured. Can be frustrating at times. I still have the RCBS 5-0-2 beam scale that I got with my Partner Press loading kit 10 years ago but I really don't want to use it.

Ruger#1

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
I have the Dillon and I like it. Mine had a tendency to wander off zero until I realized just how sensitive these are and found the draft that was blowing on it. Geez, I even have to dope the wind in the fargin' garage!

The Dillon also comes with a plastic dome that may help stabilize matters, IIRC.

Since they are made of inexpensive plastic, the dimensions of the legs and the four holes they fit in may vary too. I spun the platform around until I found a position where none of the table legs touched the sides of the holes in the scale's base. I marked the platform with a Sharpie pen so it always goes together the same way. It's much simpler than my explanation might make it appear.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I bought the Pact pro. No regret's , and no problems with it.
I like the fact it can be used with the powder dispencer if I feel the need to upgrade from the Bonanza powder throw I use now.
80.00 to 100.00 will buy you a nice scale, 150.00 will get you the Pact shipped to your door.
I did wish it had the battery option, we went 7 days with out electricity from a storm, what a great time to reload! Good thing I had a beam scale for back up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
check out the lyman le 1000 you can pic it up at cabelas and not a bad price. $159.00 or close to that. good luck

Posts: 88 | Location: waterloo iowa | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Rusty>
posted
I have the electronic RCBS with the IR connected powder dispenser.
I still use a beam balance to check my loads just in case. I think I would like an electronic dispenser into a beam scale. That to me would be the best to be safe and comfortable. Just my opine.

Rusty
We band of brothers!

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Do a "Search" here. This one has been hammered to death several times. You'll read a lot of opinions and experiences, all conflicting.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Redial, Thanks for the hint. I'll give that a whirl as well as shutting the central air vents in that room when I'm loading.

Ruger#1

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
<Wayne McD>
posted
I like my Lyman LE-1000, $139.10 at Natchez. Weighs in grains or grams, 9v battery or AC, comes with AC adapter.
Wayne