New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pact Digital Powder Dispensers and Scales
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone had an older model Pact (or RCBS) digital powder dispenser upgraded to the new higher speed and if so, was it worth the cost and how much did it speed up the process (most of my loads are 45 grains or larger)? I called Pact today and they said it was $75.00 for the upgrade and I just wanted to know some real life experiences with the upgrade before I decided.

Thanks

Dennis

Posts: 321 | Location: Tulsa, Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good question Dennis, I'm in the same boat...was wondering if the Lyman unit was a better way to go as well...

Roger

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post

Dennis, I use the PACT version for my big bore loads. Most of these take 90+ grains. Rather than waiting for the thrower, I use a Lee powder dipper to get the charge up to 90% and then let the thrower trickle in the rest. This keeps load densities and weight uniform.

By the time I funnel the powder and seat the bullet, the next charge is ready. The Lee dippers cost about $8 VS $75 and the dipper is much faster...

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Recently purchased the Lyman 1200. Very nice unit. Love it. It dispenses powder at the rate of 1 grain every 0.4 secs which is much faster that the older PACT units. The upgraded PACT unit is faster that the Lyman for heavier loads. The disadvantage of the PACT is that you have to calibrate the unit and must fill the powder hopper very full otherwise the accuracy can suffer. The Lyman can be run without attaching the powder hopper if you are not dropping heavy charges.

For those that throw a rough load into the pan and then top off with the electronic measure, this is the way to go for large loads.

One trick that I have backed into for keeping the unit calibrated is to determine the weight of the powder pan. (example 68.8 grains) When you remove the pan to charge a case, look at the negative weight shown on the scale. If it reads the same 68.8 grains as the pan weighs, no need to re-zero. The Lyman will read to negative tenths of grain; this lets you see when you need to tap the re-zero button. PACT does not show tenths when negative; thus the scale can be off without knowing. The Lyman also counts the throws so you can see where you are.
Ron
Charleston, WV

Posts: 85 | Location: Charleston, WV USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote