New
Find
Notify
Tools

barrel cleaning??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
for years i have used barnes cr-10 copper solvent as the last stage of each barrel cleaning--to remove copper fouling & assure good life of my rifles. I shoot four 5 shot strings while working up loads. i use about 4 to 6 passes with usp bore paste about every 200 rounds. i am curious...anyone do it differently & if so, why?? chaz

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerMan there have been a bunch of posts concerning barrel cleaning and about a million different ways to do it. Go over a few pages and you will find them. I started using a foam cleaner and copper fouling remover this year. I get it at Walmarts. It has saved me a bunch of time and work. When I get through shooting and come home, I insert the plastic nozzle in the breach and spray a shot until it comes out the end of the barrel. let it set 30-45 minutes and run a few patches through it. The run an oiled patch through it and you are finished! It really cleans and is easy to use.

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Outer's Foul-out II cause I hate brushing and getting splattered with caustic agents.

With the Foul-out system it's like Ron Popeil says:

Just set it and forget it!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the foaming bore cleaners. Once you use it and figure out how to use it and not get foam all over everything, it's great. Takes about a minute to foam a rifle and set it down with a rag under the muzzle and either do another one or do something else. Run a patch through it after an hour and if you feel like you need to do it again.

I don't mind the work with the other cleaners and brushes but don't think they do as good a job of cleaning.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`m another foam cleaner user. I`ve used Wipe Out and Foresters foam and you just can`t beat the ease. They aren`t the best on carbon though IMO. I follow up with a light scrubbing with Butches to get the little bit of carbon they missed.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of flutedchamber
posted Hide Post
I use the Foul Out II system. It works great, and gets out fouling from otherwise "clean" barrels.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

You can trust the government. Look how well they took care of the American Indian...

Posts: 425 | Location: New Jersey The state sucks, but it's better than living in France. | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gents/ thanks..i'm new to this forum. appreciate the info..doew the foam product remove copper buildup as well??

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
chaz

the foaming bore cleaners are best at cleaning copper. That's what they are advertised to do and the blue color you get will tell you when you have gotten all the copper out. I've found that guns that have never been cleaned with Wipe Out will need 3 - 5 cleanings in a row but after that, depending on your barrel, they will only take 1 - 3 cleanings.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using WipeOut for about a year and more recently, Outers Foaming Bore Cleaner due to it's availability locally at Walmart. They both work extremely well. I used to be a dyed in the wool Hoppes and Hoppes BR user for 45yrs or so but these two are much better and easier. A little trick that I've learned is if you invert the rifle about half way through the cleaning cycle so the trigger is up, the top half of the bore gets as much of the treatment as the bottom half since the foam liquifies after a while and settles in the bottom of the bore and has less effect on the top half. Doing this usually results in a clean bore with one application of the foam. The Outers also has a nice delivery tube that swivels to make application real easy.

Tim

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wipe-out is the greatest thing since smokeless powders. use it with the accelerator and it is one bad ass cleaner with almost NO elbow grease. Foam it up and walk away, patch it out tomorrow. I have followed it with sweets 7.62 and the patches were stark white when they emerged,..no copper whatsoever and it won't etch a barrel.

Ifin yall have a hard time finding it,..I know a guy who sells it from his house.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol` Joe:
I`m another foam cleaner user. I`ve used Wipe Out and Foresters foam and you just can`t beat the ease.---

I have tried Forester's foam. IMHO it is not more efficient than common shaving foam for cleaning a barrel. Wink

I prefer a German solvent, Robla Solo Military, which is real stuff. Of all the solvents I have tried, it works best and fastest. Another good cleaning is Hoppes # 9 followed by Barnes' CR-10 - #9 takes the soot away and CR-10 the metal fouling. The Robla, however, takes all.

Regards,

Fritz

The true and only Fritz Kraut

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
frits/ where did you get the robla solo?? chaz