Find
Notify
Tools

Moly coated bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi guys,

In what ways should I expect the performance of a moly coated bullet to differ from the identical, non-coated bullet please?

FWIW, I'm re-evaluating varminting loads for the .22/250 now fitted with Reflex T8 moderator. My favourite round of 55gn VMax pushed along by 38.4gn of H380 doesn't shoot quite the way it used to - I've lost about 3% of muzzle velocity and groups have opened up to just about the half inch..

After testing something like 20 different powder weights across 3 different powders at the weekend, I'm confident that the best result will still be somewhere twixt 38 and 39 of H380.

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Pete - Hard to say how your gun will react to moly bullets. But here are some simple gridlines....

Moly will generally reduce chamber pressures, thus burn rates, thus velocity. This can be as much as a 10% reduction.

If you decide to use moly, you must clean your barrel of every trace of copper fouling. This may require multiple treatments with Sweets (following the directions) and JB Bore paste.

You will need to burnish your barrel with moly. This will require 20 - one shot and clean cycles.

After 20 to 30 rounds of moly you will see all the velocity loss your gun will experience. Now its time to increase charge weights to bring velocity back to your required level. Follow all the usual pressure signs and use a chrono to ensure you are not pushing into the dangerous pressure zone.

Remember, moly is not a magical cure for a shot out barrel or other accuracy gremlins. You will also need to change your cleaning methods and cleaning solvents. If you decide moly is not for you, make sure you use a moly solvent and special cleaning routine to remove all the moly. It will not simply wear out of your barrel over time.

Your .22-250 should greatly benefit from moly bullets. Moly can extend the life of most barrels, especially hyper-velocity cartridges like the .22-250.

[ 08-26-2002, 23:42: Message edited by: Zero Drift ]

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The web-site for Berger's benchrest bullets has a good explanation about moly and how to clean your barrel.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:
The web-site for Berger's benchrest bullets has a good explanation about moly and how to clean your barrel.

Also the Berger bullets that are molly coated are very good shooters in several of my 223/222mag/220Swift guns and also note that you may need/should use a tighter neck bushing/smaller polished down expander mandrel/ball to get a little tighter neck tension on your brass to get the best results from the molly bullets...also some guns change the "jump" /off lands distance for seating.......enjoy the process...good luck and good shooting !!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys - and thanks for the Berger link.

From what you say, it'll make more sense for me to finish testing non-moly loads first and then go for the comparison. (I had intended to shoot them side by side).

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote