New
Find
Notify
Tools

woodchucks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
is it possible for a woodchuck to starve while in hibernation,it seems that there were by far more chucks last year than this year were i work wich is at a ski resort,due to a cold winter and lots of natural and man made snow some of the places where i know had chucks there last fall were still coverd with snow 1 week ago,sunday we went chuck hunting and only had 3 chucks in 4 hours,last year i shot 7 in 1 hour.so my question is did they starve did the move or are they being eaten by something?

Posts: 262 | Location: pa | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Woodchucks dont hibernate. They enter a deep sleep but will awaken thoughout winter if the weather is mild and look for food. The most likely reason that you are not seeing many chucks yet is the females are still in the holes with the "lil ones". They give birth in very early spring and do not leave the hole until they are weaned. I would imagine that is why. [Wink]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info that makes sense to me,I just started hunting chucks 2 years ago,basicly after I stepped in a hole from one of those darn critters its been war ever since.I know they have 4 to 5 pups i guess you yould call them,I hit one last year with my encore pistol 22-250 at 320 yards,the 2 buddys I took with me laughed when they seen me with a pistol but those 2 guys are still amazed and often tell the story at the local watering hole and 1 of the guys just bought one and cant wait to go shootin,finally some local compitition.

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
320 yards is a GOOD shot!! [Big Grin]

I need to get seriously after em around here. The "lil ones" are extremely tough targets. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the ones where i hunt used to die of old age,the general manager at the ski resort i work at is sorta against hunting on the property,but it dont cost him as much as much as 3 ankle surgurys and 16 months comp,so i kinda got him over a barrel

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
[Wink] GOOD!! That should be a good place to hunt since nobody has been huntin there!! Keep us informed on how the chuck bustin goes this summer. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
hey MSSmagnum i see your from western pa,ever heard of grove city,a guy i work with is from there.he says the chuck huntin is pretty good there

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowmaker:
hey MSSmagnum i see your from western pa,ever heard of grove city,a guy i work with is from there.he says the chuck huntin is pretty good there

[Wink] Not far from me at all!! There still are a few places where you can hunt. A lot of the old "good" fields have a house built near them and thus have ruined the field for hunting. Every year a lose a field or 2 because of new construction. [Frown]

one of us
Picture of RAS 323
posted Hide Post
Woodchuck actually do hibernate- like many ground squirrels. Bears don't. I've read that one of the main reasons animals die in hibernation is drowning. Their holes fill with water and ice from snow freezing and thawing, and rain storms during winter(more likely during a long hard winter). The other major reason for mortality is disease. I'm sure they can also starve.

Posts: 113 | Location: NE PA | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info and drowning could be the culprit but its to early to tell.Ill have to wait and see if there are any little ones running around,so far I havent seen any babys running around but due to the weather and other things I havent had much time to go,plus I have a few buddys that are hunting turkeys in the same area and dont want to spook the turkeys on them,but this sunday will be my next chance to get out.