New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feeder Questions = What else to feed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is the situation , the property I lease is a transitional area between two fields. there are beding areas on both sides of the property.
the fields are alternated between Corn and Soybean. In our State we are aloud to Bait all year round. What does anyone think that would be a good supplement ,that would be diffrent then what is in the fields.After the fields are cut , I want the deer to come to me.
On a diffrent prperty I used corn ,but there were no field of any kind. it worked well the doe's came and the bucks followed.We had a good harvist that year.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I feed corn all year round, turning down the feeders during the summer. I also supplement with protein (Purina Antler Max) when they need it most- I have three 700lb protein feeders, which I fill b/w late jan-feb through august. Usually a palate of protein (1 ton) every two to three months.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In addition to the protein recommended, see if the farmer will plant or allow you to plant winter wheat or ryegrass in the vicinity of your feeder. That's what we do in Arkansas, also turnip greens and other mixed greens. Fertilize your plots good and they will come.

If your climate is not too cold up there. Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T
posted Hide Post
Another good and less expensive source of protein than pellets is cotton seed.

Posts: 292 | Location: Tx | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Will deer eat cotton seed slung out of a feeder OK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36614 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am mixing antler max and corn in my feeder. Corn is a good attractant but it don't help with a lot of protein. I am going to look at some free choice feeders for the protein.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only problem on my place is the feral hogs. If your feeders aren't fenced with hog panels, then the deer won't get much of the corn/protein/cottonseed, etc. And, if the pen isn't large enough in diameter to contain all the feed being slung by the feeder, the hogs all around the pen will keep the deer at a distance--at least until the hogs clean up everything outside the pen. If you've never seen what a mature hog can do to cattle/hog panels just with their snouts, you will be surprised the first time you return to your "new" pen and find it raised off the ground enough for the hogs to squeeze under it. You've got to stake it down securely at close intervals, and check it frequently.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had thought about using cotton seed as a supplement in the past. However, I read about a study that was done at Texas A&M that, as I remember, indicated that there were compounds in cotton seed that actually retarded antler growth. You will find a couple of stories if you do a google search of "cottonseed for deer or try "agnews.tamu.edu/dailynews/stories/WFSC/May2703a.htm - 9k". I feed a combination of corn, roasted soybeans milo and deer pellets (13 to 20% protien) from my spin cast feeders and straight protien from my demand feeders.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
As a taxidermist, I once had a captive reared whitetail. He was fed Purina but heavily laced with corn. After a few years he began to grow "elf shoes" on his hooves. Ag folks told me that too much corn supplements have caused this defect. Wondering if any of you see that in your deer that you feed corn to year round.

In my feeder, the corn goes in in November and peters out in January. Then it's pellets. We cave corn and soybeans for them to forage on in the fields, but two things I've found them to be absolutely nuts about: Crowder peas and a small imported melon from Korea. The peas never get to mature and the melons just begin to ripen when they're gone.

I've wondered about oats. In the far reaches of Saskatchewan, well above the bread basket area, deer go nuts over oats. BTW, my pet deer would go nuts if anyone came around with a pack of cigarettes. He thought tobacco was catnip. He died at 16 1/2 after fighting a wild buck through the fence, getting his antlers entwined, and suffering a heartattack that literally exploded his heart.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George, could the hoof defect have been due to the pet deer being confined in an area where its hooves didn't get normal wear and tear? I've seen horses and ponies in fields where they had 8 or 9 inch hooves that looked like sled runners or elf shoes as you said. Like our fingernails, a horses hoof keeps on growing unless it gets trimmed or wore down.

Sorry to hear about your deer's tragic ending. What size of a rack did he have at age 16 1/2?

Plinker

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
I wondered that as well.

"Willow" was a button, a fork horn, and then a 10 pointer until he was 10. He began throwing off stickers, kickers and drop tines. I don't know why, but at 11, he had a stunted rack, his joints cracked audibly, and he acted as if he didn't feel well. At 12 however, he had his largest rack with 6 inch bases, typical 10 with two drops and a big kicker. That was his last good rack and the one he had at 16 looked a lot like a Pere David deer and the beams and tines just went all over the place.

As most penned deer, he was docile in velvet, but when he was 5, he got tangled in the chain link fence. I had to go in and pry him out. Right before I got to him, he jerkec himself free, tearing a hole in the fence. Stupidly, I went to the tear to repair it and let him get behind me. All I had was a 4 ft. 2x4 and when I sensed him coming, I turned and hit him right between the brow tines. He collapsed and I thought I'd killed him. Just as quickly, he jumped up and was almost on me before I caught him again with a blow as hard as I could deliver. When he went down, I ran for the barn and closed the door quickly behind me. He split the door and sent splinters into my arm. I got outside the pen and grabbed the water hose and started wetting him down to cool him off and make the ground too wet for him to get any traction. From that day until the day before he died, he hated my guts all year long. He NEVER forget the sound of my voice. He'd come up to others and eat out of their hands but when he saw me, the ears went back and the nape stood up. That's just the way I mounted him and when I go by all his sheds with his big shoulder mount (He weighted 350 pounds live) I have to smile at that pissed off look the mount captured.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, what "whacky" experience! Good you had that 2 x 4 in your hand. Kind of gives a good reason to hunt from a tree stand.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Cool deer story. Thanks for sharing it!

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George , Post a picture of the Deer.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Blaser, I'd love to if I could figure out how to do it. I tried the FAQ and it said if I had to ask, I was too dumb to do it. The other sites I visit allow me to load directly from JPG files on my PC, but it seems you have to have them processed someplace else? Any help would be appreciated. (BTW, I don't have an account on any of the online picture services like Photo Bucket)

RETIRED Taxidermist

one of us
posted Hide Post
George, the PA Game Commision magazine had at one time ,a photo of a deer with abnormal hoofs. They explained it was from a deer that had been poorly fed just like yours.Animal nutrition , and that includes people, requires complete nutrition which amounts to a mix of foods not just corn !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nah, Georges deer wasn't poorly fed. He fed it the best he could, he said he fed it Purina. Heavily laced with corn but you know how finicky animals can be. I bet it might not have ate at all without the corn in the mix. Maybe it also didn't get enough browse, but hard to give them that when they're penned up.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody else noticed the price of corn....it isn't cheap anymore. Last year it cost 6.25 a hundred now it's 10.00.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
I'm told it's the demand for ethanol. Funny how bootleg corn liquor got a fancy name and a bigger price tag when the bunny huggers discovered it. LOL

RETIRED Taxidermist

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Price of corn here in Ohio was $7 per 100, now it is $7 per 50lbs.

George, I will send you a PM on how to post a photo.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried it yet but with the price of corn shooting through the roof, I think I'm gonna try some of this: Golden Deer Nugget

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alfalfa Hay. They love it and high in everything they need.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took some alfalfa and put it at my place in East Texas. It layed there until it turned brown. I guess the deer didn't know what it was. They don't eat soy beans either.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This year corn is even high...I noticed at Wal-mart that the "cattle corn" is about a dollar cheaper a bag...must be because it costs a dollar to put a deer picture on the bag rotflmo

I've been told the Axis Deer will eat all of the Alfalfa hay and whitetail will only eat the leaves

Robert

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RVL III:

I've been told the Axis Deer will eat all of the Alfalfa hay and whitetail will only eat the leaves

Robert

Depends on the deer and the area. I've seen some whitetail completely devour every crumb of Alfalfa they can find.......stem and all.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try dried sweet peas. Buy in bulk by the bushel.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The way to get the best price on corn is to negotiate a deal with the grower and buy directly from the field. When the combine is full have it discharge into your rig! Avoid the middle men.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote