New
Find
Notify
Tools

Planting fruit trees?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just planted some apple trees in a forested area where there are none. I fenced them in 4 feet high. I am wondering if anyone else has tried planting trees and how high of fence they used? If the trees lived? Do bears distroy them when they start to produce? Stuff like that, any insight!

Posts: 94 | Location: WI MI border | Registered: 25 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Sir: i can't offer much help on apple trees in wisc(?) but here is what i do here in n.c. at the va. line and I-95. i collect persimmon seeds from wild animal scat from the time of first frost until late winter. persimmons are 1 1/2" diameter fruits with sweet flesh like a plum that only ripen after being well frosted. they are hardy up to southern canada. only the female tree bears fruit. they will begin bearing 4 years after planting at 4-5 feet tall. i plant the seeds 4 0r 6 to a 8 inch plastic pot when gathered. they sprout in the spring and i just plant them 20 feet apart in the same area in openings or cut overs where they are likely to get light and water for a long time. the female trees will get 60 feet tall, bear bushels of fruit, and everything eats the fruit. we don't have bears so i don't know about damage to the trees. picked fruit always tastes like alum. no animals are ever in the trees after fruit. they know to eat it off the ground. i eat it myself if i can find it. i have watched deer search at dusk for what fell during the day and actually stand looking up for the hanging fruit to fall. one or two died with wishes unfulfilled. i have done the same with pecans, but results are not in yet. i do my own apple seedlings the same way and have some growing along pasture fences and bearing poor fruit but i don't hunt those places. whatever you plant must have light and space of it will get choked out by natural growth. watch for the favorite white oak of deer or squirrels in a grove and fertilize only that one. fertilize the female persimmons with the cheapest stuff you can tote in. clear out a little brush on those that bear. fertilize honeysuckle patches (or other browse) but not all. deer can tell better nutrition. if you don't have a green thumb talk to a nurseryman who hunts or is conservation minded. you dont need home orchard quality to improve things. i know these techniques work with apple seeds, peach, plum, nectarine pits, and pear seeds. watch varieties for pollination reasons. these are good things to do. hope this helps. ned

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have seen blackberry/rasberry fruitcanes planted to attract deer. They way that was done was to plant in "wire cages" made of ordinary stock fencing...These included a top as well...as the canes grew through the fencing the deer browsed it off, but the caging prevent the deer killing it competely...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to look into getting some of those persimmon trees going. I hope I can find some seedlings or seeds.

Posts: 94 | Location: WI MI border | Registered: 25 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Sir: get a free catalog from a nursery that advertises in something like "prograssive farmer" or equivalent. that will tell you what grows where and pollination info on varieties. if you don't happen to recognize persimmon seeds, buy a couple of fruits at the supermarket and save the seeds. eat the fruit. if you then remember having seen the seeds in woods or fields, there are trees about somewhere. if not grow your own trees. there are volunteer trees about in our countryside, but usually near an old abandoned farm places. apples are uncommon here, too warm. plant what folks have grown in your local orchards. good luck. this leaves something for those that follow. ned

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deer love apples. They know where every apple tree is and they know that storms knock down apples. Deer can easily jump a 6" fence.Other animals also love apples such as bears and possums.

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
...Deer can easily jump a 6" fence.Other animals also love apples such as bears and possums.

Heck I can jump a 6 inch fence! [Wink] Yeah, I know 6 foot is what you meant AND you're right.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote