New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Improving buck-doe ratios
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Shoot only the yearling spikes for awhile and let the forkhorn yearling bucks live. Kill any freak horn buck. Age every buck you shoot so you will know better what to shoot in the future.

one of us
posted Hide Post
another one that is crying about no deer,well maybe you should look into the food source,maybe there just aint enough to go around,I personally think that the pa game commision is on the right track,the area I hunt has been doing rather well,and a lot of people agree,not to bust your nuts but if a junior hunter is not satisfyed with a doe there first year out then maybe they are sore losers,I know I would rather have my son or daughter shoot a doe opposed to shooting a small buck,the land we hunt is doing quite well,and we had our own antler restristions long before the game commision did,so dont be discouraged give it time and you will see the payoff,like I said as long as there is ample food the deer will do the rest as long as you do your part.some areas have had there ups and downs but for the most part I dont think the last 2 winters were at all bad,if you are finding dead deer or carcasses you may very well have a food problem and there are ways to improve them.everone exspects to see slammer bucks in the first year and that is a lot of the problem,like I said give it time and good luck

Posts: 262 | Location: pa | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know where you come from but it sounds like you must be a flatlander that hunts out the bathroom window of the lodge ,we had temps here in northern PA of -20 at night to 10 above in the day time for a good portion of the winter and a lot of hard pack snow . As far as food I personally left 20 acres of corn standing and most of it is still there , the game commision can sell this crap somewhere else but not to me anytime you remove the quality genetics from the herd and replace them with the week its going to be trouble . The next time you shoot two 90 lb doe and go home feeling like you did something think about it you sure did , you just reduced the herd by 4 spring fawns. Penn state has a good online course on animal husbandry you should read it you may be suprised that most farmers and ranchers keep the strongest males to breed back into the herd with exception to unique traits found in a particular breed. Mother nature made the rules as follows; survival of the strongest , and she never asked any game commision there opinion and neither will I

one of us
posted Hide Post
Im far from being a flatlander,and know that there were some cold nites and days due to the fact that I make snow for a living,but we have found no evidence of deer dyeing due to the winter,as far as you leaving 20 acres of corn standing and its still there only tells me you have no deer herd to manage,maybe because you have over harvested or you have a poacher in your area,other states have been doing this for years and its worked for them,and no I dont shoot out of the lodge window,but do shoot out of my windows on my 10x10 tree stand that yes is heated,I dont know what part of the state your from but the deer herd is doing well here,and like I said we put our own antler rules in place a few years before the game comm did and I must say that it has made a difference,hope your herd comes back

Posts: 262 | Location: pa | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well now snowmaker and the rest of the Gary Alt fan club how many deer have you seen this season , not to many I would presume, and as far as the monster bucks we are seeing less and less here in PA . Mr. Alt will soon retire and the game commission will accept their defeat and reduce the number of doe licenses sold . It could take 5 years of strict game management to get us back to the 1990 -1999 deer population numbers until then we still have plenty of turkeys in the state