Find
Notify
Tools

strange looking raccoon
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,
i have some friends who have a coon they got this year that is very strange. I haven't yet saw the coon myself, but they describe it as having abnormally large/long back legs, and no ears. they say it looks allmost like a dog. I have heard people say there are two species of raccoon??? Is this true? They've also got a cinnamon raccoon. the fur guy only offered them 25$. so they are just gonna get him tanned and hang on the wall or get it mounted. the guy says he has bought over 8K coons and hasnt' saw one yet. i was fortunate enough to see one in the wild and the one they have. i am hoping to get a couple pictures of the cinnamon coon and also the "strange looking" coon tomorrow. Any help on the strange coon would be appreciated.
thanks
Matt

"It is allways better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are stupid than to open it and prove them right."

Posts: 203 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Pictures are always best, can you find it here:
http://lioncrusher.com/family.asp?family=Procyonidae

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes , coatimundi, but in KS ? Maybe somebodies pet that escaped.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Going by description alone,i would have to say the coatimundi would be the closest resemblance. they were supposed to come over today and show me some pics, but plans changed. i'll get them on a.s.a.p.

"It is allways better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are stupid than to open it and prove them right."

one of us
posted Hide Post
One nigh tmany years ago I shot a coon out and as soon as it hit the ground, I had no idea what it was. When I pulled th edog off, I saw that it was indeed a raccoon. It had no tail at all and never had one. The head also looked a little different. When it hit the ground, it looked like a wierd rabbit or something.

I am really looking forward to seeing your pics. I have hunted in a lot of places and killed a lot of things, but what is still one of my most desired trophies is a true albino coon. Hopefully I can get one before I die.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Chupacabra.

Them things is some mangy, strangey lookin' critters.

They eat cats whole, BTW.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hello guys. I just looked at the raccoon a few minutes ago, and it seems they exaturated a bit. the coon does have big back feet,but nothing really strange like. You can tell where the ears were at one time. i'm sure they were removed in a fight or just frost bite. Looks like an average coon, besides his butt hole is HUGE. sorry to cause all the excitementFrowner i was looking forward to seeing a really strange animal tool.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bkmastr:
Looks like an average coon, besides his butt hole is HUGE.

I am shocked and dismayed that no one has pounced on this... Smiler

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
He looks strange?his butt hole is huge? Maybe your "gaydar"is working and you didnt realize it. rotflmo

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote