New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rook Gun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
About 25 years back I fired some genuine CB and BB caps in a long barreled .22 and they went "ping"(as in firing pin), "whack". Not very accurate at all. Today I fired some Dynamit Nobel CB and BB caps in my TC Carbine and I was surprised at the noise they made. Like a loud hand clap for both rounds. Both penetrated a 3/4" pine board and to my surprise shot to POA for my CB shorts at 30', grouping about 1/4". They are quieter than CB shorts, but used to be they were silent.

The next surprise was that the BB's are absolute lighting on tree rats. 3-0, hop and a spin, lights out. 2 were kind enough to fall in the drink. It's supper time!

I think I may start using them on crats since they are already brain dead, and just need a little nudge. Yes, I know they have corrosive primers.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.JustFeedingThe.Lizards

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Colour me dense! I see mentioned Crats, Squills and Lizards. Where do the Rooks come in? Or did you just forget where you were! derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
About 40 years back uncle ned used nothing but high speed remington golden hollow points in his marlin. Sort of the original ranch cougar game load.

Posts: 23 | Location: USA transient | Registered: 27 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
derf, "rooks" would be a peculiar English term for birds, hence the name "Rook Rifle", which you may see from time to time in discussions by older learned gentlemen in discourse pertaining to firearms. Ross Seyfried is frequently guilty of this, and not too long ago wrote of bringing a sumpim-or-nother Morris back to life with .22 Hornet brass trimmed to about a 1/2" in length, etc. etc. It used to be a weekend sport in jolly old England to cast about the country side sniping "rooks". A wholesome family affair it was. I don't know if they ran out of rooks or rook rifles first.

I heard a rumor the other day at 24Hr Campfire that Ross may not be writing much any longer. Hope it was nothing more than a rumor.

I am considering the purchase of a tip up single shot that began life at the hands of John Blanch. The gun is in lovely condition, and even has express sights . Ebony forend cap, pretty wood and relined. It now sports a .25-20 Win chamber. I am pondering...cast lead and FN bullets.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.Traveling.Encyclopedia

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DigitalDan,

Rooks are English birds and they aren't all that peculiar. 'Bout the same as a crow but a bit smaller and a white beak.

Anyways these rooks nest in colonies and when the young get to eatin size they hop out of the nests and just sit out on the branches 'cos they can't fly yet. That's where the Rook rifles come in.

Rumor has it that the rook rifles fell silent when the peasants figured out that chicken tasted better ;-)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Turtle, you should check in more often, I thought rook was a generic title, not a specific name. Thanks for the schoolin'. I'll still thinks it be an odd name though. Of course, that's just an opinion. It just doesn't have that ring, like Ruby Throated Wax Ripper, you know? One of my all time favorites is the TBMT!

TBMT: Twin Breasted Mattress Thrasher

Need I say more?

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.TwistedIn.Yankeetown