New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smiling bait thieves
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Aside from blasting them, does anybody know a way to keep possums out of the Havahart? I'm stumped. They're attracted to the bait at least as much as the targets are, and any smell that will run them off will keep away every other mammal on earth. They can get through any hole that's bug enough for other small critters.
I hate to kill them. They're useful, hardworking and dedicated, which makes them better than a lot of people I know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought possums were put on the earth for people to run over with cars. The side of the road is the only place I see them anymore. You mean they actually do more than stare at the headlights coming at them?????

Butch

Posts: 62 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 05 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crimson Mister
posted Hide Post
God put them here so man would have something to kill when he wasn't hungry. mgun

Some people are a lot like Slinkies: They're not good for much but it's kind of fun to push them down a flight of stairs.

Posts: 772 | Location: Norwalk, Wisconsin | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Gawd I have to make a confession here. I hate possums more than crats! Yeah, I know, I'm a sick man.

Possums are only useful for stealing strawberries/tomatoes, etc. from your garden and breeding fleas (and diseases). Oh, they can make quite a racket if they get into (or under) your house! Overgrown rats! They only get a stick to the head when I catch them. Feral cats at least get to make a break for it before the lead catches up with them...

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cannot keep them out of my Havahart traps. I have caught one so often that he now sleeps in the trap.

Posts: 10175 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
I cannot keep them out of my Havahart traps. I have caught one so often that he now sleeps in the trap.

I'd take him swimming if I were you. thumb
A few years ago I came home and threw my gym bag on the work bench in the garage as I walked in the house. I left the garage door open that night (forgot, passed out or whatever). Anyway a couple days later I was doing some laundry and went to get the bag. I opened it to see one of those ugly, hissing little bastards staring back at me. Guess my sweaty clothes smelled like cow guts or something. Confused 'Bout shit my batman underbritches. I threw the bag on the floor grabbed a 3 wood out of the golf bag and teed off when he stuck his ugly, bald head out. What a mess. Pitched the bag and all in a brush pile and burned it.
I've always been amazed that the species survives. They're slow, stupid and basically defenseless and everybody hates them. They must breed faster than rabbits. bewildered

Some people are a lot like Slinkies: They're not good for much but it's kind of fun to push them down a flight of stairs.

Posts: 772 | Location: Norwalk, Wisconsin | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They must breed faster than rabbits

Anything that dumb and slow must have something going for them. Otherwise they would have been gone a long time ago.

Butch

Posts: 62 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 05 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Possums are only useful for stealing strawberries

Yep, and the grinner community is paying dearly for that here in Y'town.

Dan

POTYHC

www.Casual.Plinkin

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one of those damned thing get into my storage shed and get locked in. Before the ungrateful little bastard kicked off he repaid my giving him dry shelter by eating holes in my best tent!
I agree, kill them all and let god decide which ones were deserving of life! Mad derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot my first one this spring. They are slowly expanding their range in our area. One more critter to shoot.

There is nothing that cannot be accomplished with brute force and ignorance

Posts: 145 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pitched the bag and all in a brush pile and burned it

That's where I would have started. jumping

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool. Than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Posts: 75 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 02 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 96Swede:
That's where I would have started. jumping

I should have. Chipped the driver on the concrete and had to clean the wall. homer I guess that's what happens when you go with your first impulse.

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
They are tough. I shot one with a 60 pound compound from about 10 feet away. The broadhead didn't go though him. And it was a pain getting him off the arrow since he refused to die. They must be made of grissel.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted Hide Post
You need a expanding broadhead for your arrows if your gonna kill possums with ti. I can tell you first hand they work great on possoms and armidillos

Most people are link slinkies, Basically useless but fun to push down the stairs.

Posts: 265 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote