Notify
Tools

Dorg Poison
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hmmmm, maybe Glossette Raisins would work quicker!! Roll Eyes derf

Grape and raisin poisonings in Dogs
Recently, there was a letter in the AVMA Journal from Dr. Gwaltney-Brant and others at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center discussing grape and raisin poisoning in dogs. Apparently, grapes and raisins can be toxic to dogs when ingested in large quantities.
The grapes and raisins came from varied sources, including being eaten off the vine directly. The dogs exhibited gastrointestinal signs including vomiting and diarrhea and then signs of kidney failure with an onset of severe kidney signs starting about 24 hours after ingestion of the grapes or raisins. The amount of grapes eaten varied between 9oz. and 2 lbs., which worked out to be between 0.41 and 1.1 oz/kg of body weight. Two dogs died directly from the toxicity, three were euthanized due to poor response to treatment and five dogs lived. Due to the severity of the signs and the potential for death, the veterinarians as the poison control center advocate aggressive treatment for any dogs suggested of ingesting excessive amounts of grapes or raisins, including inducing vomiting, stomach lavage (stomach pumping) and administration of activated charcoal, followed by intravenous fluid therapy for at least 48 hours or as indicated based on the results of blood tests for kidney damage.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ahhhhhhh, derF man. I knew if I was patient enough I would run across you. (this place is gi-normous and a bit intimidating compared to __________ ) Wink I'm confused though, I thought you liked cats?

Posts: 6 | Location: Woodland Park, Colorado, USA | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry, he does. Medium rare with some hickory BBQ sauce.

Dan

POTYHC

www.WhoNeedsMutts.ThatEatGrapes?

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Great show Derf. I acoona'd Dr. Sharon M. Gwaltney-Brown and it is apparently true that little dorgs that eat large amounts of raisins die. But the greatest thing was that she is an expert on cat poisons and has lots of published works on what works on cats.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry $:
Ahhhhhhh, derF man. I knew if I was patient enough I would run across you. (this place is gi-normous and a bit intimidating compared to __________ ) Wink I'm confused though, I thought you liked cats?

Mr.$, the Coloruffian! Welcome to the insane assylum! Yup, I do like cats, it is crats that we have problems with. Wild untamed ferel crats, fit only for target practice! Big Grin
You might notice that the residents here are just as helpful and polite as that other place you didn't mention. They just offer up a slightly different menu! Wink derF

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well the difference here is that we mostly all like "pussy", particularily "wild pussy". Now, that being said, a true crat hunter knows how to make the distinction between good crats (pussy, wild or otherwise) and bad crats, some of which often carry disease and carefully shun real men while decimating the quail and other good native creatures.
The "smell" is usually a pretty good hint, crat piss is really different! If the range is long and they ignore your visa platinum while stalking a pheasant family.....whack em! Big Grin

Dogs have masters.....cats have "staff"..... but i aint no servant!

Posts: 203 | Location: Vancouver Island BC | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote