THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    New Cat-Thumper works pretty darned good

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Cat-Thumper works pretty darned good
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of panzerguy
posted
Not on cats, yet. I took it to the range this afternoon and had a great time. Spent 13 rounds getting it walked onto the target (Doesn't help if I adjust the target turrets the wrong way...)

Then started afresh on a new target. Put three rounds right on the center of the sighting target for what looks to be a 1/2 inch group. I'm not a group measuring expert, but that's what it looks like to me.

I'll try to find a digital camera somewhere to take a picture of my new couch cougar harvesting device and the resultant target.

BTW - I'll be killing lawn leopards with a Savage 10FP in .308 with a Choate Ultimate Sniper stock, Harris bipod and topped with an el cheapo Barska 6-24 x 44mm with target turrets, sunshade, etc..

Posts: 278 | Location: Wherever I park my tank | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ha! Sounds like ya got a tool or two on your hands buddy! thumb

A friendly tip(s) for sighting scopes in case you've not heard of it.

1) Bore sight. On bolt guns and single shots, put the gun in a bench vise(for guns) find an object about 50-75 yards distant and adjust the vice until the object is centered in the bore. Be meticulous and you will be rewarded. Then adjust the crosshairs to the same object...precisely. I seldom have POI more than 6" from POA at 100 yards with this technique.

2) Take the vise to the range with you, or have somebody help with the second phase. Shoot one round on paper, then return POA to same place you held on that shot, with the gun in the vise or on bags. Adjust crosshairs to POI carefully so as to not disturb the gun in the process. If using bags you need to have somebody do the adjustment as you hold the gun. Properly done you have just merged POA and POI with one shot.

Dan

POTYHC

www.UseTheAmmo.OnCrats

PS: When changing brands of .22 RF ammo shoot at least 10 rounds prior to adjusting sights. You need to let the different lube get distributed in the bore...makes a lot of difference. Sometimes I clean the bore prior to using the new ammo...but then I haven't changed brands in a long time.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW - I'll be killing lawn leopards with a Savage 10FP in .308 with a Choate Ultimate Sniper stock, Harris bipod and topped with an el cheapo Barska 6-24 x 44mm with target turrets, sunshade, etc..

My brudder in arms, I have almost the exact same rig.
Savage 'Police Tactical', .308,Choate and bipod.
Mine has a el cheapo 8x32x50.I have just bought a Weaver T-10 w/post.This should be plenty for me.
With proper handloads and no caffiene,I can get one holers with it.
I also have a Savage in .220 Swift.It shoots like a laser beam.
I love my Savages. Smiler

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of panzerguy
posted Hide Post
Well, here goes nothing!

What a great little shooter!

Posts: 278 | Location: Wherever I park my tank | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Good for you pg.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lookie there..them bullets was holdin' hands! rotflmo

Dan

POTYHC

www.BarShot.BeCool

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan-after reading panzer guy's post about taking 13 rounds to walk the impact onto the target (and turning the turrets the wrong way) I think I know the guy. He was an arty FO (forward observer) who adjusted fire onto a friendly unit north of Quang Tri in '70. Kept me flying most of the night and I missed happy hour. cheers

No offense panzerguy-you can come shoot hogs on our place anytime.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of panzerguy
posted Hide Post
Gotcha, dustoffer. If I have to dig a dime out of my pocket to turn the adjustments on a scope, I never turn the wrong way. However, these new turrets make it to easy to input a mistake, imho. Just gotta be more careful next time.

Though I do p.o. FA guys when I call fire for effect without a standard adjust fire and hit the target. Cool

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I'm boresighting by the "peek through the barrel at the bullseye and move the crosshairs" I always go the wrong way. And, the guy I'm helping who usually has spent half a box of ammo without hitting the paper looks at me as if I don't know what I'm doing. All they have to do is walk in the shop and the 'smith will stick the boresighter on it for free, but they are usually too macho to admit they can't hit a 2' square at 100 yds.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"