THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    Updated!!! Subdivision Crat using yard as litter box!!! Blowgun maybe
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Updated!!! Subdivision Crat using yard as litter box!!! Blowgun maybe
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone try a blowgun on a crat in their yard? I live in a subdivision and have a need to be quiet about it...I am thinking it will run off and not die in the yard with a blowgun!!! I can purchase one for $10.99 with darts....I am going to have to try it...Hope I don't pin the vermin to the ground with a dart!!!

What are your thoughts?

Make every shot Count!!!

Posts: 94 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted Hide Post
I am an archer as well as a gun guy so i solved my crat problem with my bow

Most people are link slinkies, Basically useless but fun to push down the stairs.

Posts: 265 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Best thing to do is to buy an 8"x8" box trap and site it in a quiet corner of your yard. When you catch a cat slip a garbage bag over the trap and transport it to the pound. You may need leather work gloves. The bag will keep the cat shit out of your trunk, backseat, whatever. They will kill the cat for you or at least make the owner pay if it is tagged and the owner can be located and wants it. NO ONE will be able to fault you for doing this. I suggest this as your blowgun inquiry suggests,ah, ahem, a certain lack of experience in solving simple cat problems. I was there once too.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oneshot_onekill:
Anyone try a blowgun on a crat in their yard? I live in a subdivision and have a need to be quiet about it...I am thinking it will run off and not die in the yard with a blowgun!!! I can purchase one for $10.99 with darts....I am going to have to try it...Hope I don't pin the vermin to the ground with a dart!!!
What are your thoughts?

As a kid we built blowguns with copper pipe,gulf tees and stiff wire.They really are not very good for killing crats,tree rats and what ever.Fun to shoot an accurate ,just not worth a crap at killing.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that. Blow gun from Cold Steel. No dart will kill anything with enough authority, a fly excepted, maybe...Pinned a rat once, had to finish it.
A good old clay ball will knoch down a starling, that's the biggest I did.
Yes, the trap is the quietest solution, if you do not wait too long or the crat may growl and loudly manifest its impatience.
For the hunt, I found the silenced winchester subsonic HP (22lr) to be the most effective.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, in my experience, trapped cats usually make very little fuss and settle down very quickly. A really wild one will hiss and growl while you get the trap into the bag, then all is quiet. Our pound attendant lady here actually prefers to take the trap from me to make the transfer to her inside holding pen. Guess I shouldn't have let that first one loose in her maintenance alley inside. HA!

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is always the old "pallet of Quick-crete trick". Use a block and tackle to crank it up off the ground about 6', put some tuna or something like that under it and wait...ever ready to release the rope. I just don't know if it's all that quiet but they won't run home to mommy. If it has a collar just put it in the mail box with a note sayin' you found it on the corner of 5th and Lexington, so sorry for your loss and all that crap.

There's a 101 uses for dead crats.

Dan

POTYHC

www.OrDoLikeNed.Said

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just like you, NS, I found that trapped cats usually keep quiet. But once in a while, some went mad and tried eveything to escape. Unsuccessfully, of course ;-)

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
The dart alone,,,I agree with the general consensus,,,BUT,,If you were to go to south america,,or to an aquarium that has one of those funny looking frogs that they wipe the darts on before shooting,,Then you'd have something!!! That toxin seemed to work pretty damn good and quick on monkeys they were shooting out of tree tops,,Clay www.fearthefrog.com

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After reading these post I have another idea!!!!

I will let you guys fill in the blanks...

Components are listed...

1. Chicken wire, 4 feet by 4 feet
2. 25 ft. Extension cord
3. Cord plugged into 110 volts....
I can't bait the little vermin with food...
4. Does the oil off ofa can of tuna count as food?

5...Need I say more...

This is clems fault, he mentioned the trebuchet...I just figured 110 volts would launch a crat as well!!!

beer

Make every shock count....

One of Us
Picture of muffin
posted Hide Post
Let nature take its course.

Plausible deniability.

24 hour, non-stop service.

Recycles.

Just plain fun.

one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
One shot...this is pretty impressive on a mail box.
It doesn't even need to be the crat owners mailbox.........

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
quote:

Components are listed...

2. 25 ft. Extension cord

5...Need I say more...

This is clems fault, he mentioned the trebuchet...I just figured 110 volts would launch a crat as well!!!

beer

I believe your goind to have to wet the area down really good for this to work.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dammit! It never gets cold enough here to pose your cat's carcass before freezing it. I can think of many intresting "frozen cat" displays to place at the entrance to the MHP.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My solution in urban areas was a 22 dedicated to crats. Loaded it with 22 cb caps. Quiet, accurate and deadly. Body shots would run off, Head shots dropped on the spot.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw a cat take 10+ good hits from a blowgun w/ broadhead darts, still took a .22 to finish. Don't bother
.22CB's are quiet (for some reason the longs seem quieter than the shorts, may be my imagination). You can time the shot so that it's masked by ambient noise. I've used planes landing nearby to good effect.
On the 110 option:
Suspend the wire horizontally about 6" above ground. Must be insulated from the ground or you'll pop a fuse. Knew someone got a trashcan coon like that.
Tuna juice works for bait ok, but I generally use it for the scent trail to the trap with some meat inside.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input!!! I had another revalation tonight...I just happen to have a water balloon launcher. Once shot a waterballoon through a 6 panle door on the barn...I am thinking about using an egg as ammo, eggs are cheap... I already have the deck to shoot from.... I was going to do it tonight but the little vermin didn't show up...Lucky for it!!!

beer

Make every shot Count!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NS's idea is not too bad but he has forgotten the "Accord Aushwitz" it seems. After bagging the Crat in the Trap, start up your vehicle and put the open end of the bag over the exhaust pipe. It only takes a minute or 3 to do the deed! And you guys were beginning to think I was soft on Fluffy! Big Grin derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Golf balls may be better than eggs :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Golf balls crossed my mind but If I miss where does the golf ball go? lol I am thinking and egg will work and if I miss it will not go far... I am sure an egg willtake care of the little vermin...Nothing worse then crat crap in your yard.

beer

Make every shot Count!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And the egg will attract more vermin thus continuing the cycle! Cool derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I KNOW ! Putr your eggs in the freezer before use :-)

Picture of exguide67
posted Hide Post
I agree Muffin, No my boxer didn't eat your pet........ he he he

Jeff

Posts: 8 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get a roll of flypaper

Dude,I knew there was sumptin' about chew.
Not dissin the paper, but try them there 'Peel and Stick' floor tiles.
Four or five spread out w/ canotuna in the middle....can you say crat igloo?
'round here it freezes at nite,,,use lawn sprinkler...get Art grant from gummint...tour the World.

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update...I was sitting on my deck last night about 8:00 waiting on the vermin to show itself. As I was waiting it started to sprinkle. I was sitting there in the dark(overcast). and around the corner came a guy walking his dog....I am sitting on the deck and really can't be seen. This guy walks out into my yard and lets his dog take a crap in my yard..He started to walk off and I said very loud...You need to clean that up before you leave....He was startled...Lmao He said he didn't have anything to pick it up with...I said (Something wrong with your hands?) Needless to say he pick it up...That really pissed me off!!! and the damn crat still didn't show up....Maybe he will stay away from my yard. I am sure the guy walking his dog will!!!

beer

Make every shot Count!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well here is the update. I finally got the little vermin last night. Had to use all my available resources. I will list the items used...
One 40 lb bag of sand
one 2" x12" 8 feet long
one sawhorse 12 inches high(had to build this)
one can of tuna
my deck to drop the sand bag from(the top rail is about 20 feet above the ground).
One neighbors fenced back yard(only about 5 feet from my deck).
One neighbors dog (rottweiler).
Strategic setup(after dark).

Needless to say the crat cleared the fence and that was the end of that vermin. LOL

My wife asked me what the hell I was doing when I was setting the up... I told her I was vermin hunting...She gave me that look and went back in the house....lol

I have this device on blueprint if anyone would like...

beer

Make every shot Count!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
That was a great ending after that (blow gun) beginning. If you are going to eliminate a cat, git-er-done!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Automatic disposal of the evidence, too, I bet. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Deep Space Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

Components are listed...

2. 25 ft. Extension cord

5...Need I say more...

beer

Funny you should bring that up. A friend of mine who shall go nameless was was really sick of birds singing right outside of his dormroom in the morning came up with a similiar idea. He used two pieces of metal screen seperated by distance, about 1/4 in., an extension cord and a fuse. The plan was to wire the wire it up in so that when a bird landed on the screen the weight would cause the screens to touch completeing the circuit and BLAM! crispy fried chicken.

So of course he builds and and the first test, well lets just say that the only thing that went BLAM! was the circuit breaker in the dorm, the built in fuse was worthless. All the rooms on the west side went dark. It was great.

Never underestimate a Bored ME student.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.geocities.com/blowgunhunter/

I have built a 5 ft version of his blowgun and have taken 7 rabbits with it.

Posts: 45 | Location: Canyon Country, CA | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never underestimate a Bored ME student

That's what you get when an ME (mechanical engineer I'm assuming) does an Electrical Engineer's work. Big Grin

CDH, EE

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Deep Space Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CDH:
quote:
Never underestimate a Bored ME student

That's what you get when an ME (mechanical engineer I'm assuming) does an Electrical Engineer's work. Big Grin
CDH, EE

You'd be right about that. Not the first time we have run into problems trying to electrical stuff on projects.

There is a reason we are ME's not EE's

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess your friend knows by now that you don't want the screens to touch, you want the cat to make the connection.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I've been tryin to shoot some that have built a nest in my shop's iron pile and get in the boat cabin making a mess.
They are wild as hell, did hit two so far. But, they watch for me now, the back wall of the house is all windows and they know when I walk toward the back door and pick up the rifle to git outta there.

Another post, at top in Cat's section. Someone said a steel trap left in his garage came up with a bug eye'd fur ball. Now then, I need to find one while it's still winter around here.

Caught one in the fan belt once. Rather messy as it got in the fan too.

Thanks for the 110v idea's, thinkin that over too.

Might make some snares too. www.snares.com, or www.trapping.com, seems like that's where I saw them.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of panzerguy
posted Hide Post
Be careful to "use enough fan" when trying the fanbelt technique. I once had a fan come apart on me when a cat got in the fanbelt, and it put a fanblade through the hood of a cherry '65 Mustang HiPo.

Posts: 278 | Location: Wherever I park my tank | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They do punch ugly holes in hoods.

Been there twice myself.

This cat only made a mess of things, didn't bust the blades off.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muffin:
Let nature take its course.

Plausible deniability.

24 hour, non-stop service.

Recycles.

Just plain fun.

Great minds and all that clap

Dogs have masters.....cats have "staff"..... but i aint no servant!

Posts: 203 | Location: Vancouver Island BC | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Also 24 hr service Big Grin

Dogs have masters.....cats have "staff"..... but i aint no servant!

Posts: 203 | Location: Vancouver Island BC | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deep Space Hunter:
Never underestimate a Bored ME student.

Trust me. The scariest thing in the world is a Machinist, a case of beer, an empty shop, an boredom. thumb

HTRN

Posts: 261 | Location: In my Subterranean lair, okay, I admit it, it's a basement | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A blowgun will work. Several years ago I came home from work and noticed a cat on my back patio. As thursdays were trash day I had a couple of tied plastic trash bags on the paito waiting to go out front for pick-up. One trash bag was torn open with a cat eating meat scraps.
I had a six foot blowgun that I had been playing with by the patio door. Quitly sliding the patio door open, I slid the blowgun out a narrow opening, taking a huge breath, launched a dart into the back of the cats head from about 4 feet away. amazing results ensued. After several back flips, spins, and general convulsions the cat lay kicking. It was then that I could see the dart was buryed to the bead in the back of the cats head with the wire point sticking out one eye. Very impressive. The only negitive aspect was after I picked up the trash I was carring the bag in one hand and the cat in the other my wife and daughter pulled into the driveway. Seeing me with the cat both started with poor kitty what happened. I looked them straight in the eye and said I hit it with my truck accidently and quickly stuffed it in the dumpster.

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote