Find
Notify
Tools

first groundhog of the year
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of oopswasthatyourdog?
posted
Took a day off work today, I needed some time alone, and went looking for groundhogs. There is a CN line that I wanted to check out. I was told that there was not only hogs there but coyotes also. I wanted to scout some areas for next winter also. So I drove the 5 minutes to get there and walked about 5 km along the tracks. This stretch of RR cuts right through beautiful farmland. I did find the remains of one yote and will remember to get back near there next winter.

I didn't see anything for quite a while. I came apon a nice sized complex of burrows so I walked by and set up about 30 yards away, waited a good half hour and still saw nothing but I did notice some CN maintenance workers comming my way slowly from the direction I was headed. I decided to head back to my truck. As I walked back past the burrows I spotted a hog poking his head out to see what was walking past. Big mistake on his part. I could just make out from the nose up to the ears. Not a tough shot from about 10 yards.

Faceshot! The little 33 grain hollowpoint made quick work of him.

Pics are from my phone as I forgot my cam.

This is near the coyote remains that I came apon

I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.
- John Diefenbaker (From the Canadian Bill of Rights, July 1, 1960.)

Posts: 104 | Location: St-Athanase, Quebec, Canada | Registered: 16 March 2008Reply With Quote