New
Find
Notify
Tools

A "Special" target
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Render your own judgement, most of the facts are stated. Some confusion put to rest by understanding the group on the upper right is 6 shots, 3-ea. with different powder and bullets although they are the same weight. Group is total for the 6 shots.

100 yards and a 2.5X scope.

BTW, I found some info regarding Jack Childress, will share that later. So far I find myself approving of his barrel building.

Hey Ned, you ever meet a fella named Haugh?

Dan

POTYHC

www.ItllDo.FerNow

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Put a Leupold 45X scope on it and it should do fine for hummingbirds and crats!

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
ARRRGH! Red Face Dustoffer...that's like...sacrilge. Or worse. Eeker I'd almost rather have Jane for an in-law than that much glass atop Special. rotflmo But then, you knew that 'almost' part I guess. Smiler

Dan

POTYHC

www.ButThen.ThinkOfAllTheConvenientAmusement

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
DD,

Excellent groups with a 2.5x scope. I have 1-3 x scopes on several of my deer rifles, and after spending the summer looking through my pd scopes turned up to 20 power, I wonder how I am even going to hit the paper when I check them before deer season.

If its not a secret, what made the holes in the target??

It looks to me like it says "400 Swift". And by the math, you are using .416 bullets, 96 gr. of powder....... but beyond that I am lost.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.416 Rigby. Updated the photo above so the writing would be more legible. More info here.

Dan

POTYHC

www.MorePowder.BiggerBoom

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang Dan-those bullet holes take up about 41.6% of the width of those 1" squares.

And I have a 2.5x scope with post and crosshair that would be just right on it if you don't like the idea of the high powered one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For low cost plinking I use Hornady 400 grain bullets. They tend to foul the bore less than Swifts. Easier on the pocketbook as well.

96-98 grains of H-4831 gives them an ample, but not nasty shove down the bore. No pressure spikes in the summer, either.

Nice shooting.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawndart, that has the sound of experience. Smiler The Hornadys are cheaper in price by a heap...don't think they are making the RN-IL version anymore as all I could find is their InterBond...looks the same, more filling? Confused Still cheaper though. I dunno that there's a cheap way to shoot a Rigby FWIW, and unfortunately(?) Special doesn't seem too enamored with IMR4831...perhaps the Hodgdon version...after I run out of RX19 etc... That is not to say it doesn't do well enough with 4831. From all appearances it would hold Minute of Yote beyond 300 yards with that powder. Hinting a fair bit further with N205 and Rx19, at least as far as consistancy is concerned. Wink

Dustoffer, what make on the scope? I'm vascillating on the final installation, either a K2.5 or K3...likely the former. The K2.5 is just the tits for something like this...unless I head to the Prairie Dog towns. Roll Eyes Mebbe a K3 then.... I have some higher powered glass for some of my girly cartridges(I don't say that in their presence), all the way up to 6X or 7X I think. One of these days I'll get a real MANLY scope with 10 or 12 or maybe even 20 X's...beat my chest and strut and all that. Might even make a video for amusement later in life...

Dan

POTYHC

www.IdNeedBiggerSquaresIfItWasA.TwentyMikeMike

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The only thing nicer than the rifle is the shooting Wink. Congratulations on both!

FWIW, the Hornady Interbonds will shoot well and are the same basic bullet, just bonded. The jacket alloy may be different or it may just be colored. It behaves exactly like guilding metal, regardless.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Get yourself a paper patch mould. Shoot just as far, just as fast. Laugh all the way to the bank.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've given that some thought Ned, truly. There is another option I'm considering as well:

Rocky Mountain Cartridge
Dave Casey
P.O. Box 2892
Cody, Wyoming 82414

They make reduced capacity cartridge cases to order, in this case they would appear normal on the exterior, but have a straight wall interior. For lead or jacketed bullets, it would have an internal capacity similar to the .405 Winchester, or .45-70. Might be more appropriate for reduced loads/lead/Paper Patch etc. as Specials appetite for powder is as costly as bullets. clap At least the non-premium variety. I'm starting to change my attitude about diversity... Wink

Dan

POTYHC

www.FortyOneCaliber.SquillCannon

one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
Dan, Cast lead and IMR 4759 are you're friends.

HTRN

Posts: 261 | Location: In my Subterranean lair, okay, I admit it, it's a basement | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aye, I do something akin to that. I'm wondering if Special will forgive me for such activities. I'm led to believe it is happiest breathing Hell and Damnation....

Dan

POTYHC

www.SomeThingsAreMeantToBe.SomeThingsAreNot

One of Us
Picture of muffin
posted Hide Post
thumb

Nicely done.......

When you get around pouring your own, I have lead..

Muffin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan-the 2.5X is an old, old Bushnell Banner from the early 70s that I originally bought and mounted on a M870 12 ga to hunt deer with when I was stationed at "Mother Rucker." Did OK with the 12 ga recoil and slugs--not so sure it could tolerate the .416.

On your comment about Jane--not sure how many of our readers are old enough to pick up on that. Now if you'd said Hillare they would understand.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I caught it Dustoffer. Even though I am a Canuck, I got no use for her either. derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan,
I have about a hundred Hornady 400 grainers for you, no charge. 1/2 soft nose, 1/2 solids. Send me an addy, and they are on the way.

Look up Beartooth Bullets on the web. Their hard cast, heat treated and gas checked .416 bullets are simply incredible. I have used them on deer and elk at 2,100 fps with uniformly delightful results. Boom, Leak, Flop.

They have some good articles.

charlie

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll take you up on that Charlie, Email on the way. I purused the Beartooth site awhile back, and have no doubt they'd do the trick. Like their design FWIW too. What powder did you use for those loads?

Dan

POTYHC

www.HindenbergsInFlight.AfternoonsDelight

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Don't worry about lead bullets in the .416 if you want hell and damnation coming out of the tube. Take consolation from some of the game J.D.Jones took with lead bullets out of his .411 &.416 cartridges.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of panzerguy
posted Hide Post
Well, I've always thought "Jane" would be a good reactive target.

I have a first-hand "Jane and Ted" story, but if I told it, I'd get in trouble Roll Eyes

Posts: 278 | Location: Wherever I park my tank | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muffin:
thumb

Nicely done.......

When you get around pouring your own, I have lead..

Muffin

Ain't worth the price of shipping, not when the small gasstations will give it to you for $10 a A USG bucket full. Works out to about 140lbs or so after cleaning it up. Best way to smelt is to buy a cast iron dutch oven cheap(Horror Freight special) and use a jet burner intended for deep frying turkeys.

HTRN

Posts: 261 | Location: In my Subterranean lair, okay, I admit it, it's a basement | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote