Find
Notify
Tools

I Have No Guns...........
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Which means the starlings, ferals and other small body varmints are safe. For now.

I've sent everything, literally everything, off to the gunsmith for some tweaking. I feel naked.

No, I won't post a naked photo here.

So in the mean time, what kinds of things would you fellas suggest for me to use (short of my duty weapon) to cull populations here? The grass is high and too high for my mower now.

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann, this is a serious situation! Have you lost your mind??!! I would offer to ship Big Al UPS but it would be a lot cheaper to wander over to Wally World and pick up a NEF 20 Ga. You would NEVER be tempted to have that tweaked would you?

Well, I have pondered this at some length, and really can't come up with anything better at the moment. I am in shock, and undoubtably need a transfusion or something similar. It IS too early for George Dickle... I must borrow from Toolmakers genius and pose this question Ann:

Always,

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.TacticalAir.Strike

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
That'll cost ya five dollars for copyright infringement! Hey, if the RIAA can do it, so can I!

Toolmaker

P.S. there's a new 3 by twelve version on that thread...

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann my dear, it may be somewhat more aggressive than you need, but I have an old Ion Pulse Cannon in the closet if you are interested. Scotty could provide an operational check out.

Is the grass as high as an elephant's eye?

Jim

Posts: 113 | Location: TX | Registered: 25 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Admiral,

It is as high as my eye and I ain't no shorty at 5'9". So it is still high but not even at an elephant's brown eye.

I am waiting for my timothy to go to seed then I will turn my hoss out to munch things down to a respectable level.

As far as your cannon offer, it's wonderful, but I would not want to torch my turf more than needed as I am letting it go to seed for a reason.

Dan and Toolmaker, nice bumper sticker. I want one for my office door here at work.

Funny thing is, I just got off the phone with my smithy and he is ready to rock on my repairs. He was briefed on my situation and is VERY sympathetic. I do have some mouse guns just nothing long, well other than and old Stevens .22 with no magazine. I can push feed a single round into it if necessary but follow up shots will be cumbersome and slow......

I am sure the lap lynxes and coyotes will figure me out at being handicapped but the work needs to be done, NOW, before fall.

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann, shame! You have a Stevens .22 and you still claim to be un/underarmed? Let me tell you, missy (or is that "mithy", I get tho confuthed thumtimeth) once you have the mighty .22 long rifle, you need for nothing else in your battery.

The .22 long rifle has accounted for more game than any other round in this planet, and has taken everything from mice to whales.

It, and porch panthers were made for each other. Truly, a match made in heaven. And that's just for the .22 short. Some people think the .22 long and long rifle are too much gun.

Now go load your Stevens and be happy.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go girl. Lull them into a false sense of security and then when they are fat dumb and happy,STRIKE!! derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like you need to go buy something quick before the smith starts finishing them up!

Do you have a bolt action 223 or 25-06? There you go, or a handi rifle. How about another shotgun? Do you have a .410? they are a blast to shoot. How about a muzzle loader?

There you go, glad I could be of help.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, a muzzleloader is on my wish list for this year. I plan on getting the Savage...

The thing about my old Stevens .22 is, well, no magazine. Not good for multiple panther/woodchuck/starling situations. It really handicaps me.

The problem with buying new rifles is, well, they are never "right" and will need tweaking to be brought up to my expectations. You know how fussy us ladies can be . That's why I am in my present undesireable situation and why I really don't want more guns.

At least the Savage muzzleloader has an adjustable trigger so I can set it to a lady like low pull.

I heard the local rag dogs out by my pasture fence last night. I think they touched the wire judging by the racket they were making. I love voltage....... Oh and the grass was wet too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann, since you apparently aren't a wispy dwarf ballerina type I'd like you to consider that since your are thinking about a ML it might be a good time to do the real deal. It matters not whether you use the polyester powders or REAL powder, they are still dirty and need to be cleaned afterwards. What I am suggesting is a genuine smokepole, caplock or flinter as you see fit. They are immense fun, and if you shoot proper soft alloy RB's they will flat put the whack on a field feline, or even a skunk. Keep in mind that the big ones can be loaded down for light duty, but few things are more elegant that a good quality .36 cal. flinter. Perhaps on of the Ludds will weigh in here with sound advice.

120mm is right about the .22LR, I have slain big game in North America with it. But it takes Bob with a 85 BT to make the mess out of a varmint equal to what my .50 Renegade would do with a dead soft conical. For many years it was the most accurate rifle I owned. Then I got particular...

BTW, ALL the credit for the WWJMBD sticker goes to Toolmakers "warped imagination". I just put it where it seemed to fit.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.Fond.Memories

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aye, a nice flinter is a wonder of tool. Ann, Dan knows of what he speaks although I think a .36 is legally a bit small for a MI deer. Personally, I like my 54 for all things from bull moose, to buck deer, to buck squirrels.

A good perc gun is mighty fine too. Made of wood and real steel they are functional beyond all measure. And, there is nothing an inline can do that a side/under/mule hammer rifle cannot do just as well and a few that the latter species can do better.

Take the simple easy route and get a sidehammer perc rifle suitable for roundballs - a Lyman Great Plains is a good start, or a nicer fancier semicustom if you wish, or even make your own for the ultimate in whatever you want.

When it comes to muzzleloaders, it's not WWJMBD, but rather in your area, WWSKD (as in Simon Kenton)...

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Hello Ann. I could readily reccommend the flint rifle, but your need is likely immediate to control the varmints around your place. Dan is on the mark to suggest a 20 from ww since you named flying vermin among others. Ammo selection would be important as you know, so get a wide variety of shot, buck, and slug, and protect the homestead from pests. (Oh, where is DRAGONLADY when secret ninja knowledge is needed?) ned

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Li hear Mr Ned GI carr, so sorry for deray. Rong way from Mu Gia to here. Dragon Lady go warkabout with Hac Bao in big country. We discuss many thing, no matter you GIs. Big Pass arways windy, rove this very much. Have good time.

Miss Ann, these GI'S no rie, but you want numba 1 idea Li say get crossbow. No need big one, very easy and very quiet. Numba 1 stuff for tarr grass! You read Capstick? Must be beau coup tarr grass Africa, no figure why crossbow no catch on there. Anyway, most Ninja use rong bow. That right, they use rong bow. No sound right. Ninja not use crossbow, that sound better. Dragon Lady first Ninja use crossbow, now High Mistress arr Ninja warrior so teach new stuff to arr hardhead Ninja boy. Why arr men have hard head? Nevermind arr this Miss Ann, Li tark rike brook. You try crossbow, you rike. Dragon Lady crossbow arr gord and ivory, you rike maybe Li ret you borrow. That okay with you? When no use bow Li rike shuriken. Work ver good but not for part time GI. You rike GI Jane? Bow better, it keep smarr animar from run away if shot not true. Must practice, no want bad shot make rap rynx run in circre.

Li go know. Nice meet you Miss Ann.

Posts: 374 | Location: Golden Chopstix Restaurant | Registered: 09 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Miss Li, what a wonderful idea. A crossbow would really do the trick too. I bet it would make short work of big stinky woodchucks. I have seen many lately so I know they will want to set up house on my property. Do you find use for chucks in Asian recipies? I saw a monster chuck on the lawn at work today. I bet they are more tender than crop kitties. Thank you for sharing your idea!

Oh, and I don't know why GI's can be so hard headed. I guess it helps them survive combat situations which include incoming ordnance.

Well, the weekend is here which means I get to see what riff raff has been trying to populate my property during the week.

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Thanks for helping out DL. You know the eastern view is always appreciated when dealing with all the threats small game hunters face. The part about the crossbow bolt through the shoulders making them run in circles, thus easier to catch, was pure ninja. ned

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Um... just an observation and a question, Ms. Lady, ma'am.

I notice that you seem to have trouble pronouncing the letter 'l' in your communication... in everything except your name, "Dragon Lady." I mean, um, technically and to be consistent, should you be referring to yourself in the third-person as "Dragon Rady" insteady of "Dragon Lady?" Why don't you refer to yourself as "Dragon Rady?"

Don't mind me, though. I've had "attention to detail" drilled into me for 22 years.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Russ! Glad to see you finally made it over to the "Cat Killing" forum. Some of us have been accused of not liking cats. Others of us just hate the little critters.

The rest of us, like to hold them up for ridicule and practical jokes. It's nice to know that I may have introduced you to this strange and wonderful part of AR.

I think Dlagon Rady, I mean Dragon Lady, has a bad case of "Asian finger" that makes it hard to pronounce her "Ls".

Especially when typing on a computer keyboard.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Drew -- "word."

No, it was Ann. She was on the phone last night crying horribly, unconsoleable, because she had no significant firepower left with which to defend her home. She told me about this thread. No, I'm still not into killing cats. I like cats.

Take care, Drew.

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Russel E. Taylor sir, Li very grad exprain this for you. First Princess Li say you numba 1 GI! 3 cheer and hip hippy OOOHRRAAAHH for you! Arr peopre in USA with brain thank you from bottom of heart for what you do in Araby Land!

Next, Li grad you rike cat too. Maybe you rike sweet and sour, maybe hot spicy ginger, no matter. Golden Chopstix II have arr recipe for arr taste! Dragon Lady more rike hot spicy ginger, but that different story.

Princess Li from Centrar Highrands in Viet Nam, have very confusing famiry tree. Momma-san harf Chinee harf Vietnamee, Poppa san Frenchie boy never come home from Dien Bien Phu. It get rearry confusing go back further! Li rearn tark many tongue, Meo, Vietnamee, Mandarin, Cantonee, GI with Marine accent, French, it go on an on an on! Sometime Li need interpreter for serf!

Li go big mountain when young, rearn from ninja master arr way of ninja, do very werr. When stirr young rise to rever of White Dragon, then be known as Dragon Lady when arr thing formar. In time Li become Grand Mistress arr Ninja, arr pranet earth. Wark with Hac Bao', move through forest rike fog in darkest night. Then one day come to USA with Gunny. That different story arso. Li no Semper Fi now.

Then one day Li rearn about computer, find this prace, arr fine GI! Meet Birman~san, we arr do battre against evir empire of cat, arr time! Have manry battre! It grorious! But some GI make fun of how Li tark this worrd, so take Berlitz. Teacher-san, he hang serf on day numba 3, so Li say to serf "Xin Loi", come back very sad. Arr GI here numba 1 friend, accept Li anyway. Li not give up though, study Phonics! Now hooked on Phonics numba 1! When see rear name Li study beau coup, sperr right! Is proper, no? Rest of time Li write rike tark, sound funny arr time. So sorry! Engrish only tongue Li write though. Take extra time, try rearn numba 1 for arr good USA peopre! Dragon Lady proud to be American Pie! Not arways understand arr hear. Rike this one: Once there were two brothers. One ran off to sea; the other was erected Vice President of USA. Neither was ever heard from again. You know what that mean?

Li hope now you know. You come GCII, bring momma-san Taylor, dinner on house. That mean free, not mean on roof.

Li go now.

Posts: 374 | Location: Golden Chopstix Restaurant | Registered: 09 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I gave up after about your third sentence.

There's no Mrs. Russell E. Taylor, for which the women of Planet Earth thank me to no end, I'm sure.

Ann: I checked out your .375 H&H Magnum while over at Tom's tonight. He truly went above and beyond the call of duty, reworking the feed ramp and everything else so it'll feed those gargantuan 380-grain Rhinos. If you went with the 300-grain Barnes TSX, you'd have more space for powder... but hey, whatever works for you. Anyway, one gun done, several to go.

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
There may be no Mrs. Russell E. Taylor, but there should be. I've been trying to play matchmaker for Russ for a couple years, now.

Your problem, sir, is that you just haven't met the right woman. I think our very own DragonLady, just might be the one for you.

"Word" back atcha. Unless that's "My Bad!"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's good news, Russ. I knew Tom would be able to meet my special demands! That gun in particular. Now I can really put the hurts on some DBG.

More importantly, getting that Ruger done will really make my day as that one sees the most "action" of all.

DRAGONLADY, don't give up on Russ, he's looking for a gal who looks like "Ginger" from Gilligan's Island. But more than that she must be tall, able to shoot and be a card carrying Republican. So if you have any single gals meeting that description who frequent your restaurant, well, post her photo on the forum.

Oh, and Russ, it's OK if you like cats (I do, I have two lounge lynxes of my own). You can still post here.

I have to send Tom a photo of my Stevens, he says he would be able to tell me how to take it apart to clean the bloody thing.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Ann, as an alternative to buying another gun while your battery is being polished, I offer you the chance to relocate in the interim:

Sing along with me.

Since all my guns have left me,
I found a new place to dwell!
I found it down on Lonely Street,

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.Hunka.Hunka

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

You are soooo thoughtful!

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Quote:

No, I won't post a naked photo here.

CHICKEN.....I've done it!!!!

Posts: 7973 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's too cold here for that sort of nonsense, Bakes. Not at all like the hot house you live in.

You got anything recent you want to show everyone?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, Do you realize that Bakes just might misinterpret that and think you want him to post nude pics of himself! derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Keep watching the Aussie forums Ann, I have a pic to stir Muzza up a bit.

Posts: 7973 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Miss Ann! Elvis rive there! Hear him terr story beau coup time! Li go now, take GCII Go Menu! Hope Mr. Elvis rike hot spicy ginger cat. You come, take picture for Li! Sit in Elvis rap, big kiss for Army boy! King of all GI!