Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting Chrony Beta Master
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted
Anybody have one of these, or have knowledge of their effectivness? I like the idea of the remote, but am just now ready to jump in to using a chronograph, so am for sure a newbie. I am going to cash out some Cabelas points on this pruchase, so the choice is between the Chrony and the Pact. Need to get my new crat Masher #6 and hot rod buckshot loads tested, plus, I guess it is time to find out what my rifle loads are really doing. Thanks for the info in advance.

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress." Mark Twain

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
I've had a Chrony for about five years.I purchased it because it was on sale for a very good price. Smiler
If ya want to draw a crowd,take a chrony to the shooting range and offer some other shooters to check their 'irons thru it.. The down side is one might shoot yer machine.
I use mine to check speeds of different reloads.
It's also fun to clock pellet rifles and even bows with it.

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've owned both Pact and Chrony, they will both give the info you need. Pact makes a better unit IMO, the remote of the Chrony giving me some issues or three.

If you plan to test shotgun loads you will need to fabricate an angled steel plate to deflect misc. wads/shot etc. or you can count on a dent in your toy.

Dan

POTYHC

www.LostIn.Tennessee

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I've recently acquired an Alpha Master and am building one of the shields Dan mentions for it from some 1/8" thick steel 2"x2" angle.

I like it so far. The numbers are reasonable and with 100 or so rounds over it I haven't missed any readings.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
I have the basic down and dirty refurbished Chrony. I picked it up several years ago for $45 and it does what I need. It is a little finicky with sunlight and it must be perfectly aligned with the barrel to get a reading.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you plan to test shotgun loads you will need to fabricate an angled steel plate to deflect misc. wads/shot etc. or you can count on a dent in your toy.

I have access to the tools and material for that, we have an in house sister company that is Vulcraft's #1 customer in the U.S., we build small items like double laced columns for industy, andy where from 20' to 120'. I would guess it needs to shield the base of the actual unit out in front from projectiles of any type?? Anybody got a picture?

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress." Mark Twain

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I'm still working on mine, but think of 2 pieces of 1x1 angle down the sides basically cradling the base unit with the big 2x2 angle projecting out and up in front of it.

Making it all work on a camera tripod is proving a bit tricky, as it adds quite a bit of weight. I may ditch the 2x2 and go with 1/4" lexan (polycarbonate). It'll stop/turn a pistol bullet, especially if angled up.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted Hide Post
I love a project. My thoughts ran the same way when thinking of a tripod and a steel deflector shield, that it would be too heavy or unweildy. Guess a fellow could construct a base unit to hold the chrongraph, with the shield as an intergral part. There are no ranges around here, I shoot at my own place. My take "down bench" wound up weighing in at over 300 lbs.(connectors being 3/8" bolts instead of deck screws) did not want any shake, rattle or roll under my guns, so needless to say, it got permantly mounted. How far in front of the bench should one position the chronograph?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Usually about ten feet, it varies depending on what your shooting. Rifle, Pistol, bow. also depends on if your shooting subsonic ammo. I just go with eight to ten feet. I have a Beta Master I got off ebay for less than 80 dollars after shipping. Works really well.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool. Than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Posts: 75 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 02 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just use a piece of 4x4 wood in front to protect my chrony. The beta is a must so you can read the remote. Before, I had the F-1, with the readout on the front. It took a beating from the blast of my rifles and shotguns. It worked good till I misjudged how much a shotgun pattern spreads at 10 ft. Trust me that shield is necessary. Needless to say I am on my second unit.

There is nothing that cannot be accomplished with brute force and ignorance

Posts: 145 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote