Re: Harehunting with dog
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 338winmag
posted
Thank you all your nice reply.

Its right what Martin write, this is a very traditional way to hunt hare
in Norway, Sweeden and Finland.
My dog is a Finsk St�ver and this breed is from Finland.
Its my 5th Finsk St�ver, and I have use this breed since I buy my first one in 1982.

My shotgun is also from Finland, its a 12G Valmet 412S, but they don't made this shougun anymore.
Its Tikka who made this shotgun now.

Here is some few other pictures I took some years agoe.

Posts: 67 | Location: Norway | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arne, would that be what we call "Snowshoe Hare" in Canada? Sometimes it's called "European Hare" or "Varying Hare".

DD, if it's what I'm thinking, they change colour from summer to winter. Brown phase - summer, white phase - winter. They can be a bitch to pick out in the snow, as the only colour is the dark eyeball!!!

Though, when you have a late fall, they're pretty easy to pick out in white phase against the brown fall undergrowth. I've seen a number of them while sitting deer stands in northern Ontario.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Good looking hare and dog.

Now if only I could teach an Old English Mastiff to do that.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 338winmag
posted Hide Post
In February this year I buy a 9 month old dog I should use to hunting Hare.
After some days and houres in forrest together with my dog, finaly it gave some
good result last week. I shot the first Hare for my young dog,
and she work very good, just like she should do.

Posts: 67 | Location: Norway | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arnie, only time I ever saw white rabbits I was doing something to excess. I trust all the Hares in Norway are white? Sure are big too, so don't let your dog go out alone when he gets old and grey, it might lead to a tragedy!

Good pictures by the way, and welcome to the Cat Forum! Do you have cats in Norway?

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.White.Rabbit

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
That's one fat rabbit/hare,,338,,nice catch!!!!! Thats a pretty looking dog as well.It seems rather well trained.Hope you bag your limit,,,if you have one,,,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a good hunt. ned

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of scw
posted Hide Post
I love that first picture. Looks like a wall-hanger. Congrats!

Posts: 281 | Location: Utah | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Way to go 338vt

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Good lookin' shotgun too.
What kind is it?

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Very nice and far too serius a hunt to fit in the small games forum. Is the breed of your dog a Hamiltonst�vare or a Finnst�vare?

I can tell our American friends that this is a very traditional way to hunt hare in the woods of Scandinavia. The dog keep the hare moving, being a couple of minutes behind at least, and the hunter must know where the hare are expected to pass and wait there...

In many parts of Sweden, it is still an important tradition to get the "Christmas hare".

Regards,
Martin

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't know that, thanks for the insight. Never heard of those dog varieties, mostly folks use beagles here in the US.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.Rabbit.Stew

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, what kind of gun are you shooting? It looks like a combination rifle/shotgun, and looks vaguely familiar, but I am interested in what it is.

Thanks for the cool pics!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Watch our Dan! It has been suggested that the rabbit interlude above was far too serious to fit in the small game forum. Perhaps posters should reply to a consortium of experts before posting.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It all in the delivery ain't it?

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.TouchOf.Vermouth