New
Find
Notify
Tools

CB caps range?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My betrothed and I just bought a 1 acre property that backs onto a crick and farm land. It's in a small subdivision of about 20 houses about a mile outside the city. Bonus is that we're both keeping our respective homes and renting them, so overnight, I've become a real estate tycoon!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Now, I'm anticipating a growing influx of small game Wink over the next few years as the city expands.

I've never tried CB caps, but plan to run a few through my Brno Model 1 over the next while, just to see how quiet they are. I also plan to try them in a revolver, you know, for that close in, fast work.

Just wondering what kind of effective killing range I can get with the CB caps, out of the rifle or revolver?? The property is 400 feet deep.

BTW, the Brno is a sweetheart. I once put 5 shots under a nickel at 100 yards. Guess I was just flinching right that day. Wink

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I find the CCI CB long's I use have to much drop after 25-30 yds for my liking .
I use them out of a Marlin 39A

I find the crack to be to loud out of a pistol ,
Out of the rifle the GF dosn't even wake up as I do some "pest" shooting out of the bedroom window.

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
In any event, after you establish the effective range, set up a bait station there. They can still be considered fair chase as long as they are free ranging. That way you can save the native wildlife before it is wiped out.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
25 yards is about the limit in my bolt action Marlin. They sound like a pellet gun.

From my Browning Buckmark, they don't operate the slide and sound like you slapping two small boards together...it sounds loud to the shooter in the middle of the night, but the neighbor won't hear it if his windows are closed.

Have fun!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Well heck,,I have a all but silent air rifle thats good for 50 yds. with confirmed kills,,,and it makes fair groups on paper @ 100.Even one of my .177 air rifles has kills @ 50,,,,the .22 is sighted for 50 yds.,,,the .177 is set at 30,,,,but can be easily pushed,,it shoots rather flat.After reading this thread,,,I think I'll save my money and keep doing as I have been.I've toyed with picking up some cb's,,But if that's all they do,,,I'm doing better as is.Kill'em all!!!!Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest you try remington 22lr subsonics they are hollow points and a little quieter than full power loads and like CDH said neihbors wont hear if there windows are closed I would add that if you shoot from inside through an open window open no more than it has to be and from a few feet back this will muffle noise from muzzle blast also most people will not know what woke them up so generaly the first shot goes unnoticed at 4:30am.I have shot squirrels out to 50 yrds with the subsonics.

HAVE FAITH IN GOD.

Posts: 206 | Location: Alberta ,Can | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
AOWM, I too use the stand a few feet back from the window technique.The smaller the opening is ,the quieter it is outside.
Last summer she had me insulate and sheet rock a small bedroom on the second floor.I was going about the job w/ my lower lip hanging down when I chanced a look out the window.Lo and behold,across the street on the roof of an old warehouse,Pigeons. Lots of pigeons.It seems there was a sag in the gutter and water stood in it all summer,shaded by a large Sycamore.From my vantage point,it was about 30 yards to the gutter with a brick wall set back another 25 yards for a back stop.Perfect.
I had my Sheridan chompin at the bit.As luck would have it,I had a 6 ft. aluminum step ladder for a rest. Smiler
My better half was amazed with the vigor I went at her 'Honey Doo' job day after day.If I could get the front post to line up on a pigeon thru the Williams peep,he was a goner.
I placed a pellet into the breast bone of a young female.She layed down where she was standing.Then the real fun started.Here comes Mr. Studdly strutting up doing the little dance they do.He then mounted the very willing harlot.I could barely see for the tears.Pop.He rolled off the back of her.
Whats this? ,here comes another suitor. SmilerPop,another one rolls off.And another, and another.This hot biotch was the Devil in feathers.I started feeling bad about shootin' a fella while he was bumping uglies so I took to waiting til they finished up.Then when I smacked em, they acted like they didn't really care. wave

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
roflmao jumpThats great man keep up the good work!

HAVE FAITH IN GOD.

Posts: 206 | Location: Alberta ,Can | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about the winchester z long, kill rabbits and dogs to 20-30 m ok

cheers cc

Posts: 191 | Location: Australia | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I don't think Winchester sells that 22 rnd in the states

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
Hit the post button to soon.
It may be out there for others to use .
The ammo companys sell different stuff around the world.
Whats it like ?
FPS or MPS ?
Bullet weight ?

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From memory 28gr lead projectile @ 720 fps, made for indoor target shooting, or suburban pest destruction. Comes in a yellow box with a black z across the front of it.

cheers cc

Posts: 191 | Location: Australia | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
All most exactly what CCI loads ( long's and short's) and Remington used to load for the USA.
The Remington stuff I still shoot .
30 gr bullet at 720 fps.
A great cat ,rat and bird load.

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fischer, just so's I know what you're chatting about, CB CAPS(Dynamit Nobel) as opposed to CB Shorts/Longs, right? Confused

Little bit of experience with the CB and BB caps, here's what I know. Both shoot to POA at 30' as sighted with CB Shorts from my TC Carbine. Groups in the 1/4" range with both, both penetrate 3/4" pine, and to my surprise I found them louder that the CB shorts/longs as made by Winchester/CCI/Rem., but that is still relatively quiet. Barrel length is 20". They are virtually silent from my 513S which has a 26" barrel. The BB caps are better killers of squirrel but I have not compared them beyond 30' or so.

The ammo from DM is corrosive, so clean the gun after shooting for the day. FWIW, I found the close range effects of the BB cap superior on squirrel as compared to the CB Short. The latter is essentially indistinguishable from the Hi-Vel Short beyond 50 yards so there is your benchmark for effective range, or even dangerous range. I have killed 1 raccoon with the CB short at 80 yards(measured), and recently a small pig at 40 yards. They are NOT toys. I have no earthly idea what the velocity of the CAPS is or how far they are lethal. I would guess the CB Cap capable of killing people beyond 100 yards. They will kill small game at close range and that includes 'coons and crats. Please do not think they allow for indiscriminate shooting for they are quite deadly. They ALL are fairly loud in pistols.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.aWhopInThe.Woods

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote