New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rabbits and Squirrels?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone on this forum actually hunt small game, or do they just make cat jokes and fight about cat jokes?

Just curious.

analog_peninsula

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
The best way to find out is to actually ask a question about hunting rabbits and squirrels. I would guess most people here had been content with what they know and had been amusing themselves at the expense of a certain pest that shall remain nameless. Occasionally the questions like the ones you vaguely allude to come up and they get answered. There is an easy way to prove it....

All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
--Niels Bohr

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do hunt small game, usually as a part of upland bird hunting. I have never hunted over a dog, so now and then a bunny will remain motionless long enough for me to put my shotgun on the ground and draw (s l o w l y) my S&W 6 inch M-66 loaded with .38 Special wadcutters. Most of the time, the rabbit scampers off before I get the M-66 into battery. I changed from the .22 LR to the .38 Special wadcutter because the wadcutter is a better stopper if I don't make a clean head shot. I admit that I have hunted a lot more small game critters than I have bagged. But I have had lots of fun hunting!

one of us
Picture of RareBear
posted Hide Post
Speaking of squill .......Where's Big Mortie when we need him?

Posts: 166 | Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd rock from the sun, Milkyway Galaxy | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Squirrels are kinda like cats when you look at them as small game animals. Since they are both adept tree climbers they're quite sporting when ya blast em' out of a tree with a 250g spire point. Squirrels do taste better when slathered in Texas Pete. Tree lions on the other hand just make good target practice.

Posts: 101 | Location: Montana | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Hopping Rats and Limb Rats

Not much to say about shooting them.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt rabbits and squirrels regularly.Until recent years I spent more time hunting them than I did deer,but now I hunt them about the same amount of time Wink

Don't shoot 'till ya see the whites
of there eyes.

Posts: 46 | Location: Portland,In. | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to hunt cottontail rabbits. They are challenging and are pretty good eating. I used to hunt squirrels.

Never understood why cat shooting was part of this forum. To me and my state, they are varmints and should be talked about under that forum.

one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never understood why cat shooting was part of this forum.

Roll Eyes
Of course we hunt squills and wabbuts.
Do you want to know my first,last or some of em in between?
I'll type slow for you slow readers. Wink

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over here in the sandbox dere's no squills or wabbuts that I've seen in 2 tours. Crats are scarce too now. If you have Koreans/Mongols on your FOB you won't have crats so I guess they're not a "varmit" in that perspective. At the DFAC you usually don't know what's in the meatloaf anyways.

I typed this with one finger so ya' all can read this........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by analog_peninsula:
Does anyone on this forum actually hunt small game, or do they just make cat jokes and fight about cat jokes?

Just curious.

analog_peninsula
Well we're all still waiting with baited breath. Do you or do you not hunt small game? You asked but you haven't answered your own question. Why is that Confused

Posts: 72 | Location: S.E. Wi for now | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
I know; i keep coming back to hear of awsome squill exploits and what do i see?

Oh well, I think i am going to go ahead with an experiment i was going to do with seeing how my Trapper feeds with 45 Colt cases cut down to ACP length (was going to be a low signature cratter load, but that is not something i can write about now) and go on Bigbores and extoll the virtues of the "new" 45 AR....

All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
--Niels Bohr

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
I live in a quiet end of town.Lawns,picket fences,big front porches blah,blah,blah.
The Redhead that bosses me around and I were sitting on the front porch drinking a beer and reading the evening newspaper.
There is a large,rather tame sow Squill that comes up on the porch looking for a handout.If we are inside and have the front door open,she stands up,paws on the stormdoor,looking in.
The Squill was on the porch gnawin' on a pecan half when the neighbor lady's cratpet came up on the porch also.
Ms. Squill tore into the crat pet and they tumbled down the front steps.Hair was flyin' and it didn't belong to the Squill. Smiler
The crat pet got loose and ran up the Rock-Maple in the front yard to escape.
From where I stood (about to piss me sharts)this looked to be the wrong decision. shame
This tree was part of Ms. Squills private property.Up into her property she goes.
More squawlin' and moanin' from the crat pet. animal Leaves were falling like snow.
The crat neighbors pet had enough and jumped/fell outta the tree and high-tailed it across the street.(as bad luck would have it,the crat neighbors pet did not get run over.)
After a while,Ms. Squill came back up onto the porch,where she enjoyed an extra walnut half and an extra pecan half. Wink

No animals were turtured during this event.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Too Cool!!!!!!!!!!! jumping Thanks for that wonderfull small game in action post! Goes to prove nature itself hates cats thumb Kill'em ALL!! Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chalk one up for the squirrel. clap jumping animal lol thumb beer Big Grin Cool Big Grin

Don't shoot 'till ya see the whites
of there eyes.

Posts: 46 | Location: Portland,In. | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like squirrels. jumping lol

one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Kamo and POP read this thread and laugh.
We ain't supposed to know it .

Ssshhhhhh.......

So does Saeed. clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I almost snarfed my coffee. animal

Posts: 144 | Location: Boiling Springs, SC, USA | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crimson Mister
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by poletax:
Kamo and POP read this thread and laugh.
We ain't supposed to know it .

Ssshhhhhh.......

So does Saeed. clap

I'm afraid you're wrong, PT. I think humor is lost on Pop. I've seen his posts on other forums and he takes himself pretty seriously. He said he was going to sell his guns and move to Greece months ago, but alas he is still here. I don't know about KG other than he lives in Boston. (strike one)

Big Grin

Some people are a lot like Slinkies: They're not good for much but it's kind of fun to push them down a flight of stairs.

Posts: 772 | Location: Norwalk, Wisconsin | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid you're wrong, PT. I think humor is lost on Pop. He said he was going to sell his guns and move to Greece months ago, but alas he is still here. Now who in their right mind would go and move to a place where you cannot own a gun thumbdown They must not have any small game for him Razzer

Big Grin[/QUOTE]

Posts: 72 | Location: S.E. Wi for now | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by analog_peninsula:

Just curious.

analog_peninsula

I hunt lots of small game: cottontails, snowshoes, squirrels and upland birds. Wish folks would actually post about stuff like that here, but over the years figured there to be no point. People mostly come here to gloat and lie about killing the next door neighbor's cat, and for me, that shit don't float, as they say.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hunt lots of small game: cottontails, snowshoes, squirrels and upland birds. Wish folks would actually post about stuff like that here, but over the years figured there to be no point. People mostly come here to gloat and lie about killing the next door neighbor's cat, and for me, that shit don't float, as they say.

Ya got yer wish. wave
No one at all comes in here now.Enjoy.
Good job.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
I think after a few good cries, I'll survive the loss.

Get over yourself.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Just trying to help ya out there,Kamo.
Sleep well.
Ya wanna see posts on hunting small game?
You go first.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll go first. Early this morning I got outa my hooch and had to go pee real bad.(from eating too much watermelon) On my way to the port-a-potty I spied a small motionless object under a Humvee. This small object scurried under another gun truck and I knew at that instant I was on to something. Since my M-4 was in my hooch I picked up the next best thing available--(a BFR) Big Fuc*in' Rock. Being the avid outdoorsman, I stalked my quarry with panther like agility and got to within 20 ft. A quick sidearm with the baseball sized missile resulted in a near miss resulting in a cloud of dust and the critter runnin' off with me in hot pursuit. I got a good look at it before it escaped under a tent. It was on of those big brown desert rats. Not crat since we are no longer allowed to talk about them here for fear of electric shock stimulations. BTW------- no animals were turtured this morning.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i shot the hell out of three fox squirrels this morning. in the crock pot at present. fox squirrels seem to enjoy live more than gray squirrels. foxes seem harder to kill.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of mills
posted Hide Post
LUCKY!!!! i have not been hunting since i left tennesee 6 years ago. s/w florida SUCKS!!!!enjoy.

Posts: 33 | Location: bonita springs fl | Registered: 12 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kamo Gari,

I completely agree with you. I was always sorry that such a crew of idiots had taken over this topic and hope that they are gone for good.

Posts: 30 | Location: alaska | Registered: 11 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I hunt cottontails and squirrels when I get the chance. When my wife and I are out in west Texas doing our guided hunts, one of our big things for our hunters is to drive around the alfalfa fields at night spotlighting jackrabbits. Everyone has a lot of fun doing that, and ground jackrabbit works up into some really good sausage.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote