Find
Notify
Tools

The heavy stuff ...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RareBear
posted
...FYI, for those members of the crat patrol with 1)an attached forward observer or 2)forward observer capabilities or 3) for these matters anyone with a bloody cell phone, please note the following:

The town hall in Waldo, Ohio has a pair of 75mm anti-tank guns facing west, covering Main Street and the western approaches.

The Legion hall in Cardington, Ohio has a 155mm howitzer facing south, covering Park Street, the southern approaches, and probably all of southern Morrow County.

(I will have to investigate this next listing) A park in Marion, Ohio used to have a .50" caliber quad mount remote control anti-aricraft piece, don't know where the remote control was located but Marion never suffered an aerial crat bombardment while it was there.

thumb beer

Posts: 166 | Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd rock from the sun, Milkyway Galaxy | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny that you mention Waldo, OH. Just north of Stark, Fl lies the town of Waldo, FL. They don't have a war memorial with artillery pieces of the period, but are listed by AAA as one of two official speed traps in the Nation. A little bit further north on SR 301 is the community of Lawtey, the other of the two speed traps. It is the result of inbreeding I suspect. Damnable thing about it is that I never see any roadkill crats in those two towns, not sure if it's because of the slow speeds or big appetites... Confused

Now Starke is another kind of pony, complete with traffic jams, and an old WWI piece of field artillery. Cool Looks to have about a 3" bore, not sure what horsepower it is. Oh, and it's the place where bad boyz and gurls meet their maker, either on Old Sparky or by injection. I think they have the choice, but am not sure. bewildered They even have roadkill deer in Starke, not to mention "reformed" felons. It leads me to believe there is a causal relationship between the local progressive thinking index and crat populations.

Or maybe it's the Good Ol' Boys, shine, and 4WD pickups on Friday night...

I do think the availability of war tested artillery pieces is an unexplored venue however, and will have to consult with Tick and Billy Bob on the possibilities. Wink

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.Local.Artillery

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
The riffraff that hangs out here may be interested to know that SARCO currently has a pair of Russian 57mm howitzers for sale... eek2

HTRN

Posts: 261 | Location: In my Subterranean lair, okay, I admit it, it's a basement | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is that artillery or anti-aircraft artillery(AAA)? Reason I ask is that most AAA guns cannot be depressed below the horizon and that makes it difficult to plink crats in front of the Dollar General Store. They do traverse quickly, so if somebody will give 'em a heave you might do okay on the fly.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.IHate.AAnAAA

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howitzers are the indirect fire type of weapon. Easily depressed and can fire canister beehive or just plain old HE common with a PD fuze.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Dan,

The Germany's, 88m/m, Flak 18 AA, was the dread of Allied tankers. It was one hell of an anti-tank gun. Crats would be NO PROBLEMO for this ack-ack.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, yes that's true, but if the Dollar General is only a short toss from the AAA I'd like the option of minus elevation travel of at least 10* in case the dreaded crats should charge. Eeker They are short, AAA is tall, it's a geometry thing the gun designers never envisioned. Frowner

On a dismal note, there is apparently a subversive element in the 'hood, for in addition to the Blanch Epiphany of a few nights back I have seen 3 new alien crats in as many days. Frowner Cool How could anyone be so callous regarding the birds and squill?

Got to go load another Blanchette round. Wink

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.DeathFrom.HighPlaces

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I grew up in ohio,,I fondly remember crawling up and over more than one howitzer,,,taking turns on who could walk the farthest up the barrel before they fell off Razzer While in the back of my mind really wishing we had at least a blank to light off in the thing FrownerBut anyway the things are dotted all over the landscape of ohio,,,,It is'nt a v.f.w. if there isn't one planted by the front door WinkAt least it seems by ohioans standards.I never realised though,,,that the things are on lease and the v.f.w.'s pay an annual rent to the govt. to have the thing parked there Mad If they gotta pay rent,,,,the govt. oughta give them a hundred or so rounds in the name of homeland security.And while i'm pissing,,,,If any of you that "owns" a dcm garand,,,look at the fine print that is on your original shipping papers,,You only bought a lease,,,and the u.s.a deems the right to take it back in the time of need.If they start recalling garands,,,,at that time we must be in a heapload of shit.Thinkng again of homeland security,,they should supply every dcm garand borrower a couple of ammo cans of 06 ammo to help the cause Roll EyesClay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RareBear
posted Hide Post
Indiana may be a little more upscale than Ohio. As I recall, there is an F-100 on a stick (steel post) visible from Coliseum Boulevard in Fort Wayne. Although there is in Ohio an F-4 Phantom pulling stick duty at one of the gates of Wright-Patterson AFB. Probably no rental fees on that one. Big Grin
Zoom zoom.

Posts: 166 | Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd rock from the sun, Milkyway Galaxy | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Sure one of those is exactly what Bubba Joe would love to hang behind the truck when meeting the boys for some shine and crat-shooting a friday evening? Big Grin

I guess I start getting a grip on American Culture! wave

Regards,
Martin Cool

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Pvt. N. S. Sherlock attended a regional skirmish this past weekend, where our battery A and B mortar teams came in 1st and 2nd at l00 yards with their 12 pound mortars. The pvt.'s squad "b" came in second place for musket. No cats attended. Durn! General info is at www.n-ssa.org. if you have an intrest in things civilians can do with outdated weaponry. This a shooting game, not dress-up.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Pvt. N.S.,

What kind of report is this, you did not properly illustrate, said report. shame Please rectify this situation. (ie- post some pictures)

I think that we all would like to see these things that go BOOM. thumb

Hog Killer

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Toolmaker,,I sent those pics. and a really nice letter to santa via e-mail a few months ago. I guess he does'nt do e-mail bawlingHave fun!!!!Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Hog killer,,,I had a wonderfull time today playing with aluminun foil and toilet bowl cleaner,,stuffed into a tightly closed soda[pop] bottles today,,,it was kinda warm today and had the best results as of yet Cool,,,in fact for once i'm looking forward to warmer temps.,,,very convienient time delay with the reaction,,,could be very usefull.Sorry no pics. you're gonna have to try it on your own,,,,Clay

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
I made my own noise maker.

It damages things too. This is 1/4" plate steel @ 100yds.

Here is the exit.

I like this a lot better than drain cleaner.

Hog Killer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello HK. Click the link in the post & then click mortar, cannon, etc on the list on the left of the home page. There are a few pictures. Did ya try yours with cannister. We did. N.S.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Yep,

Two different loads:

1 lb. #4 buck shot

72 - 50cal. RB

Hog Killer

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Hk,,the bowl cleaner and foil were pissing away the last bit of the "work"day. Big Grin just recived two 3"bore x30" long hyd.cylinders that were rejected for a rebuild,,The wheels are turning,Thinking of a nice light weight mortar,,,Whats your opinion,,,pneumatic,,,or black powder?Clay

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Clay,

There is only one answer for that question, Black Powder. I also have a mortar, made from some sch 20 (I think bewildered) 2 3/8' tubing. Any way a soda can will just slide down the tube. That is, a nearly 2 #, concrete filled soda can. A 1/2 oz of BP will normally send it 200 yds. Find some thing cheap for projectiles, like tin can etc. that can be weighted. The closer to bore size the better.

You caan actually watch the soda can in flight, from my tube. It will goo up about as far as it will go down range. Kind of neat. thumb

If you would like some extra tips on building this thing PM me.

Hog Killer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clay, what kind of cleaner have you found works the best. The days up here are getting longer, warmer and more boring! derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clay/HK, et al., there is a poster on Graybeard's cannon forum who is a commercial mortar manufacturer, named "Cat Whisperer" who posts frequently. There is a sticky, links and quite a few intresting posts too. Our CW mortars have recessed powder chambers behind the rounded bottom of the breech so that the ball you drop in does not set off the charge by impact. We take particular care that the powder is in the recess only and follow a strict safety protocol. If I was going to get a personal mortar I would get a beer can mortar for ease and cost and consistency of projectile management. Shoot even the small soda cans, regulars, tallboys, and fill with gravel, sheetrock mud, cement, plaster, lead, etc. Weight and consistency is critical for accuracy, as is bore windage. All our balls are numbered and we keep track as they each shoot a little differently. Yeah, I guess you could stuff a crat in a sabot too. Our nationals are in Winchester in May and October If any of you folks would to sightsee. Gatling demo too. N.S.

one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Older post on fun w/ a howitzer.
Read the whole thing,,,,what a hoot?
Dude fires 144 punkin balls at once, hits buck deer 6 times.
http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Hk and Ned,,Thanks for the info.Derf,,I've had good success with this stuff made by nyco,super toilet bowl cleaner,it starts smoking when you flip up the cap,,I've seen it get the nastiest crapper sparkly clean with little effort. It also eats concrete, Eeker,,McMaster-carr sells it.I've found it better to loosely roll the foil rather than ball it up tightly.Have fun!!Clay www.mcmaster.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
For a good time put 4' of 6" PVC in the ground(for moral support), fuse already installed. Add 1# of Black Powder, 5# of white flower(self rising) and mebbe a crat if you have one handy.

Make sure the pipe is pointed up in the air BTW. Light fuse, hope neighbors have a sense of humor. Hope the neighbors you don't like are down wind. Have a white 4th of July!

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.Appalling.WhiteClouds

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Dan,,I think thats what they shoot through the cannons at the gettysburg re enactments,,But they wrap the flour in tinfoil. One fine spring my brother came to visit,,it was a sunday. The neighbor was in the middle of a major remodel,,living elsewhere,,and told the carpenters it was ok to work on sunday without consulting the other nieghbors Mad So my brother and I are trying to have a conversation of that fine sunday morning on my deck,,over air nailers and circular saws,,,,when I realised I had'nt shown him my then new italian o/u or the 12ga. bird busters[an m80 stuffed into a 12ga.hull over a few grains of powder] I got the gun and a couple of busters and went out on the deck,,They dropped into the tubes with a satisfying thwupthwup,,the barrels closed with a nice snap and holding it at the waist I judged maby a 30 deg angle over the remodellers roof.My brother asked if I should really be doing this,to which I replyed I don't really give a damn,,,bloop,bloop the charges flew over the house and blew up in a pair of very loud booms Cool my brother said damn,,,those things are pretty loud,,,yep,,But there was no more noise of air nailers and circular saws filling the air,,and a few minutes after,,there were 3 vans going down the drive at a good clip thumb They never worked there on sunday again,,Clay

one of us
posted Hide Post
Clay, I like the approach applied to the roofers and such. Most aren't a lot brighter than crats.

I shoulda said you're supposed to leave the flour in the bag. People see you pullin' a really pissed off floured crat out of the ground they're gonna think your weird. Roll Eyes

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.BombsBursting.InAir

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dan,,,I kinda read that into your post,,thinking that 5# bag was just the right size,,,,after wifie killed a steak into leather for the umpteenth time Mad I told her the kitchen was my domain and she was fired from cooking and demoted to cleaning,,,,getting better all the time,,,Clay www.andtherocketsredglare.com

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
HogKiller's favorite projectiles for crat control:

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Yep,

The skinny round is 458n Lott, and the 1 1/2" proj.

Hog Killer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mebbe the one on the left is really the .458 Little? The other one could be found in the ladies "entertainment" section of Victoria Secret I'm guessing.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.CratsN.Cats