Find
Notify
Tools

Whatcha think?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Frosty03
posted
Thought I would put this in another thread for your viewing pleasure.

Since I love to tinker with things, I have the Hollow-pointer tool from Eabco and the Paco tool.

Here is a pic I took a while ago. The top row are the unmodified rounds. The two on the left are CCI Subsonic and the two on the right are Remington Subsonic rounds.

The CCI have gone through the Paco tool and the Remington's have had the hollow point enlarged and deepened with the Eabco tool.

The Remington Subsonic rounds are too pointed to go through the Paco tool well. The point wants to mushroom out. Both shoot rather well, with the Remington's being just a wee bit quieter.

Through the can though, they both sound the same.

On lively targets, the modified CCI's give the loudest connection for that special 9 lives headache.

These all work well, but I still love a good old fashioned flat point just as well or better.

Posts: 42 | Location: Florida | Registered: 11 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frosty03
posted Hide Post
Just thought I would include a pic of one of my special numbers. 29" barrel which does help quite a bit to reduce the report. I still prefer subsonic rounds though.

I have a couple of CZ's, this one is my favorite.

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Great pictures Frosty03. To spark a little invention amongst readers here is some info. I have a home made nose flatting tool I've used for years. No accuracy improvement that I could see but squirrel killing is noticeably improved. I had a friend to lathe cut a piece of aluminum bar stock a few thousandths shorter than the subsonic remington hps my 310 Winchester uses. He ran a number drill through the center of the piece so a subsonic was a snug push fit, then cut a recess for the rim. I shave two grains of weight off with a miniature block plane. The nose of the bullet is flat about halfway in size between the cci and the remington. Something to play with. Great CZ you have, ned

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
Since you mention sub-sonic, you would probably do better with a flat point. I have a die that any .22LR will fit in so that the point of the bullet protrudes a little. You can then file off the point for a real flat nose. Even sub-sonic will yield broken bones and maximum impact, (so I've been told! Razzer).

Congressional power is like a toddler with a hammer. There is no limit to the damage that can be done before it is taken away from them.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As ususal, I'm overwhelmed with the creative genius of my SGH Brethern..... Eeker

Looks like the R&D Departments of the major .22 suppliers aren't meeting all the Niche markets potentially available. Big Grin

Frosty - that's a spiffy lookin' CZ you got there, nice long-g-g barrel; practical too, so you can give those Crat targets a little nudge first if they're not quite lined up and then Thwaak 'em! Talk about "Reaching Out to Someone...."

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Frosty, Does the accuracy change when you modify the Nose Profile?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frosty03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey Frosty, Does the accuracy change when you modify the Nose Profile?

Yes, it actually tightens the groups. I originally purchased the tool for shorts trying to get the CB caps to group in my rifles.

It helped for sure, but not enough to rely on them. However, with the LR rounds, I can tighten the groups of an accurate round, but I can also improve the performance of the bullet when it hits the target.

Ask any coon that has crossed my path. They hate it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do these tools look like? They appear to be remove a minimal amount of material...the one of the left(cci??) looks like the material was simply displaced and not removed. Are these tools commonly available(ie midway or such)?

I remember shooting with a guy shooting a long barreled russian 22 target and the aquila rounds making very little noise. Not the handiest gun at 11 lbs and ~30" barrel, but very accurate. The same rounds were much noisier in my 22" barrel.

Thanks,

phil

Posts: 126 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would bet you could take an old throw-away .22 barrel and cut it to the right length so the nose of the bullet sticks out the right amount, and presto-you've got your tool to make flat points. For that matter, the pieces left over when a 'smith cuts a .22 cal barrel to customer length could have a chamber reamer run in it and you could have a separate tool for shorts, longs, and LR rounds as well.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"