THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    Well I'm going to gun busy hell.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well I'm going to gun busy hell.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After too many months of delays and such I have finally started anew with reloading and gun work, load work etc. The mailman is looking at me a bit differently. Folks in the area are under any illusions about guns and such.

Today's project: Beginning of Swamp Thing project. My .250 Savage needed bases and rings installed(Leupold), and some wood work as well. My rebarrel job and what not stopped at the wood except for the bedding, and I'm starting to trim up the stock in preparation for a paint job. I'll call in Crackertown Cammo. Don't know whether to paint a Bud or Miller can on the offside of the butt. Confused Well, they're laying about everywhere, so it seems appropriate. It presently weighs 7 pounds 1 ounce w/o scope(Weaver K2.5) and ammo. Hoping to shave about 8 ounces off the stock...we shall see what we see on that. Would like a finished product of 7.5# all up. While the stock interior is drying(seal coat) I shall turn to the load bench.

#1 project is my Blanch gun in .25-20. N.S. sent some lovely bullets awhile back and I will set them atop some Bullseye. Flying in the dark here as I'm trying to duplicate(regulate) to the irons which are compatible with the original chambering, .297-250. IIRC the original load was 90 gr of lead and about 800-900 fps, but that may be off a bit, have to check that. I am without chrony at the moment so when hole appear where I aim I'll call it good enough. It has offed one cat by fine fit and better luck, hopefully it will have other opportunities. thumb

#2. The world reknown 7X64 Brenneke, better known as the original .280 Remington. The gun cloverleafs 170 grain PMC factory ammo at 100 yards, I have 175 Rem PSPCL bullets, Speer Mag Tips at 160 gr as well. A bunch of RX 19, 22, and we'll be using the ladder method for developement on the loads. My guess is the Speers will do better, and once some ammo is available for surprise attacks by Birman's flamming asshole army I shall move on to Nosler Partitions, 160 grains also. This piece is not about shooting southern whitetails at 75 yards, it is for anything that walks in NA, though quite honestly I'd use Special as a matter of choice for Griz. The gun belongs to a friend...he's learning. One gun, one load.

#3. Going to finally develope a regulated load for my Cape Gun, the chambering being .405 Win. I'm not certain what to do but suspect that I need heavier bullets for more barrel time. Shooting high left(8" both ways) with Hornady ammo, and quite a bit faster than SAAMI specs. 28" barrels makes for nearly 2400 fps, about 150 fps faster than it should go. Should be fun. thumb

#4. Swamp Thing needs some food. Ballistic Tips(no hot sauce) and Nosler Partitions, 85 and 100 grains. About 3200 and 2900 fps I'd guess, maybe slower. Depends on whose BS you want to believe. The former will serve for 'yotes and crats, the latter will be the standard for deer and pigs. I don't normally do this but the gun will get dual use depending on season. RX15 and Fed. 210M primers. YEEHAAW!

#5. This is gonna be Special. I already know that 95 grains of IMR4831 will do just dandy with Hornady RNs so for the short term that will do. A sight in will suffice after installing the glass. My project for this one is cast lead, most likely some Beartooth bullets with the wide meplat. I consider that they will excell on southern critters at velocities of 2200 fps or so, especially crats. This will probably not go down until late February, so I'll have plenty of opportunity to 'salt' the range with tuna and grouper carcasses first. My fantasy is "Hey, don't shoot that cat! BOOM! What crat?" Big Grin More likely it will just make Tick a bit more respectful. He's been getting a little bold of late.

#6. Lastly, I need to fiddle with the 9422M, get it sighted and just generally fart around with it. It will be the off season walking gun, and maybe calling gun for impromptu circumstances that happen out in the woods. Some say it's inadequate for 'yotes. I say BS on that. They work well for other things too, you just never know.

Anybody need a '94 Trapper(Pad, Williams peep & sling/30-30) or a TC Contender Carbine(30-30/.22 Short)? An Ithaca NID, 12 Ga. M/F, nicely restored? 1st Gen Colt Woodsman, mint, no box, 6" barrel? All but the Colt have been thoroughly blooded, all in excellent or better condition.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.EmailFor.Particulars

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you got your hands full Danno!!
Don't need a trapper in 30-30 but have a friend looking a good lever gun in 44 mag, 357, or 444 marlin. Don't know where I can find one do ya??
Don't get too caught up in work and let the stinking crats sneak up on ya! mgun

Guns and ammo what more do we need?

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
How many crat pelts for the Colt Woodsman? It would go nicely with my 3rd edition target model. That is one sweeeeeet shooting little pistol!

I have a bob-tailed calico on the hoof nearby as we speak....

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, Li'l Bob is coverin' my six...diversity is really the Crat's ass! Big Grin

Don't know about your friend's quest. Quite a range of horsepower there. If he reloads suggest he look at the .444 in a Marlin. One of the truly versatile cartridges in the inventory, and more than a few are on the used gun market. Also, look for later production as they have a faster twist IIRC, and will stabilize heavier bullets better.

Did a bit of research between posts BTW, the .297-250 actually used a 56 gr. bullet w/ 6.5 gr of black in the original loading...1150 fps. Barnes' book COTW lists a load with(drum roll) the same bullet N.S. sent me, 5 gr of unique at 1200 fps. So I'm guessin' I'll be shooting a 1/4 bore version of the .22 long rifle. Just right for crats! thumb Maybe the long range leaf will be good a bit further out, but hey, who's keepin' track? Confused

Seein' as your in NC you might want to touch base with NS, he knows a bunch of Luddites that might have a spare levergun. thumb

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.Catrobatics.RUs

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Dan,

How about putting a picture of "Big Al" on the off side of "Swamp Thing". thumb

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CDH, somewheres around 800 pelts would do. IIRC it was manufactured in '37 or '38, I don't believe it's ever been shot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
HK, that's not a bad idea, and the wifey knows how to do transfers on the 'puter. Thanks for that! How's things down in Oz? Been gettin' any lately?

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.Think.Gators

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Ahh Dan, bewildered

Whats with the OZ referance? I'M FROM TEXAS wave

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess I slipped into another dimension there for a sec, sorry about that. On the other hand, you got that pack of Sheehan weirdos over there, so...how's things in...nevermind. Roll Eyes

See what happens to me when I start sniffin' Hoppes? Confused

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.LostIn.Space

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Yep, nut'ns sweeter than Hoppe's #9. It made me the man I am today. nut

Hog Killer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DigitalDan:
Well, Li'l Bob is coverin' my six...diversity is really the Crat's ass! Big Grin

Don't know about your friend's quest. Quite a range of horsepower there. If he reloads suggest he look at the .444 in a Marlin. One of the truly versatile cartridges in the inventory, and more than a few are on the used gun market. Also, look for later production as they have a faster twist IIRC, and will stabilize heavier bullets better.

Did a bit of research between posts BTW, the .297-250 actually used a 56 gr. bullet w/ 6.5 gr of black in the original loading...1150 fps. Barnes' book COTW lists a load with(drum roll) the same bullet N.S. sent me, 5 gr of unique at 1200 fps. So I'm guessin' I'll be shooting a 1/4 bore version of the .22 long rifle. Just right for crats! thumb Maybe the long range leaf will be good a bit further out, but hey, who's keepin' track? Confused

Seein' as your in NC you might want to touch base with NS, he knows a bunch of Luddites that might have a spare levergun. thumb

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.Catrobatics.RUs

For sure Dan. He can't make up his mind on the cal but has it norrowed down to those tree. I will be loading for him and have been trying to talk him into the 444 since the main use will be hunting the big leary whitetails along the river banks he needs some extra punch during crunch time! Thanks for the tip I may just give ol N.S an electronic howya doin.
Hoppes #9 is fine stuff but I found some awesome cleaner called coppermelt that comes in a little can for an obscene amount of money and makes cleaning duty seem like fun. Takes only about 5 patches and less than 10 minutes.
It's a little hard to come by right now due to a manufacturing problem they had but they are getting back up to top production and soon I hope will be available through brownells again.

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7RUM, I hear ya on that stuff. Lookin' for it myself. My current favorite for copper is Sweets, JB Bore Paste for the nasties if I have to. Good luck on spreading the insanity BTW, the .444 is a boomer for sure. If you get a chance try loading some .430 RBs(3) in one case, yell if you need a powder charge. Will surprise you how well it shoots, and how far. 'Tis the path to shooting fine groups with one pull of the trigger. Wink Oh, and if his eyes are still good, sell him on a receiver sight so his buddies will respect him. Wink

Got the Blanch fodder loaded today, 5 rounds starting with 2.5 gr of Bullseye, up .2 gr with each load.

The first batch of Brenneke stuff loaded for the ladder, first run with the Redding dies. RX19 in .3 grain increments, 20 rounds. .000-.003 on run out with 175 gr Rem PSPCLs. Quite happy with that.

Time to bait the range with tuna...

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.PrimerPowderN.Seat

one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Time to bait the range with tuna...

And there you have it folks.

Cool blissful evenings ahead. Smiler

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Just a mix of items for now. That No Pussy, No More got me exhausted. Good luck on your Blanch Dan. Load that thing up to LR velocities and with that throw weight you will have a dillo blaster for sure. BTW one of my favorite small game guns(N.C. deer) is the 44 mag/240 speer fn over 296. I have a little marlin with a quick twist heavy contour custom barrel 17" with a slick action. Shots touch at 100, deer fall dead just from the noise, and it fits in about anywhere. Make yourselves a home made foul/out device and never sweat copper again. Actually I think #9 is a bit weak. It was redone to take out the benzine. Use Ed's Red instead for near nothing. Oh yeah. I got a '92 carbine in 357 to put on bambi this year too. Plus I got my remmy set up for 9.5X56.7 M-S and ready to go. Don't always use a flintlock you know. Regards to all.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey N.S you don't know where a guy could locate a good used lever gun in one of the cals I mentioned do ya??

Thems good numbers on runout DD! Thats match quality stuff!!
Yes bait the range heavy and then declare the range hot to every crat that dares to cross it!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cool blissful evenings ahead.

YOWSUH! thumb It has already started to moderate a fair bit down here. We now have 2 shirt days rather than 4. roflmao

NS, didn't know about that Hoppe's reformulation, but Ed's Red is some groovy stuff IMO. Sometime back at another web site he posted on a regular basis. Alas, the site is dead... Poor Yorick, we knew him well. Frowner

Anyhoo, Ed had an old Winny levergun in .25-20 he was doing some load work on for a friend. Don't recall the specifics but he worked it out to have a 60 gr and 86 grains load that shot to same POI at 50-75 yards. Small game and 'bigger' game loads. Interesting fella, quite prolific in the journals back in the 70's and 80's. Never could get him to fess up to blasting crats, but I had my suspicions that he was one of us. Wink

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.DangerousLittle.Pills

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello 7 UM, The best bet on a lever is some of the smaller gunshows, cash in hand, strong haggling skills. Your buddy is trying to buy in as the season starts, not good. Get a 30-30 trapper. I had one in 38-55 and killed truckloads of deer, like a fool , let it go.... I use a 30-30 pack rifle a lot now especially when up a tree checking bark adhesion. Shoot sierra 125 HPs at 2650 with something like benchmark, rl-7. Very effective. Dan, the stuff about using 60's and 86's is a crock. twist you know gets ya in the 25-20. Its like riding a horse, only one saddle at a time. .25 lead shooting is like .22 shooting, only harder. clean the bore, shoot a couple to lube it, then shoot for the kill/score. If the gun sits very long re-lube by shooting before serious work. Anneal to try to hold neck tension consistent. I make new ammo every year, because neck tension goes away and so does accuracy on worked brass in the .25 BTW, those bullets I sent had liquid alox thinned on them, not sized. I run mine@2200fps and its minute of squirrel head to 65 yards. It looks like a 243 hit them, but I stopped eating squirrel brains and biscuits w/gravy a while back. I have a redfield olympic peep on the marlin 25 and set poa just on top of the front bead at 50. I just don't see many cats on the lease any More. Must be the buzzards get them?

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DD
send pics and particulars of Ithaca double to jlsmith137Removeit@yahoo.com
thanks

ps sounds like a good list of problems to have.

Posts: 484 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh how right you are N.S! It cna be and is hard to buy a gun around the begining of the season but he is one of those folks who never gets in a hurry and usualy waits till the last minute or in his case 10 minutes late to do anything!
Here is a prime example.

we were going flounder giging last saturday night and he calls me at 10 P.M and says he's on his way and at 11:05 he finally pulls up.
He only stays 10 minutes from my house!!!
So the way I figure he will wait until deer season is nearly over and then decide what cal he wants.
I keep asking him what he's going to do and his amswer is always " I don't know yet ". Oh well good friends are hard to come by so I just let him figure it out at his own pace and then we can find him a lever gun like he wants.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Low Tech, will do that tomorrow. Need some sunlight for the pics, flash is sad...

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, well, 7 Rum. Cousin Tommy and I used to hunt snowshoes in the Pocanos a few years back when I lived there temporarily. Tom could hip shoot his limit plus and was the best dog/rabbit man I ever knew. Tom raised and trained his own beagles then and they were good. He had a buddy that came late a time or two to our local hunts and so told me he was gonna break him of running late and jerking us around. We were all at the roadhouse setting up the Pocono hunt and Tom says "It light at seven and we got a two hour drive. I be in the truck loaded up at five-thirty, ready to pull out" I get there at quarter after, have a coffee, and we are sitting in the truck. At five-thirty Tom pulls out, we get there and have a super hunt, even got the other guy's limit. Opening snowshoe is fantastic when everything, weather, dogs, and rabbits , all line up. Later the other guy sees Tom and says "I was late, where were you guys". Tom says" I don't know about you being late, we were hunting in the bush."

one of us
posted Hide Post
Low tech, check your PM.

one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N. S. Sherlock:
Well, well, 7 Rum. Cousin Tommy and I used to hunt snowshoes in the Pocanos a few years back when I lived there temporarily.

NS, where in the pocononos? I'm kinda curious because I've been trying to move up to there..

HTRN

Posts: 261 | Location: In my Subterranean lair, okay, I admit it, it's a basement | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HTRN, on that Pocono stuff, we hunted many places throughout that stack of eastern counties from Allentown north to the NY line.Tom knew lots of county DOT guys and was always scouting & asking about rabbits. Hell in his home county some farmers had DOT driveways and Tom hunted well! I was over in coal country around Shamokin, not far from the famous Higgins live pigeon shoot.

one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
I only got out there once this year(specifically Wayne county, west of Honesdale), back when in the late spring when gas was $1.50 a gallon.

It's beautiful country, and I can actually afford a house there, as opposed to the half million dollar shoeboxes here.

The one downside is that there really isn't any machineshops out there so it would be tough getting work in my "career", but if Costco hires me, mebbe I can transfer to another store up there.

HTRN

Posts: 261 | Location: In my Subterranean lair, okay, I admit it, it's a basement | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HTRN if you mosey down NC way I know a few places begging for machinists help.
Where I work is looking for 2 as we speak!

one of us
posted Hide Post
HELP! I need a first class machinist who can cut small ring Mauser threads, and cut a perfect chamber on a contoured blank. 9.5X 56.7 Manlicher-Schoenauer. Have reamer, Will Travel. ned

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to cut in on the conversation but I am purrty pleased with the work of Mr. Erhardt of Helena, Mt. He's the one that built Special...and rebarreled the Swamp Thing. Lemme know if you need contact info.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.Quick.TurnaroundToo

one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N. S. Sherlock:
HELP! I need a first class machinist who can cut small ring Mauser threads, and cut a perfect chamber on a contoured blank. 9.5X 56.7 Manlicher-Schoenauer. Have reamer, Will Travel. ned

Ned, I'd do it, but the Clausing is down with a broken hydraulic line, and the phase converter is still in the basement waiting for me to get a three phase panel. Frowner

HTRN

one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7Rumloader:
HTRN if you mosey down NC way I know a few places begging for machinists help.
Where I work is looking for 2 as we speak!

My friends were just down in Wilmington, and recieved less than a warm reception as "damn yankees". Frowner

That said, I have a feeling the going rate down there is going to be much less than I can earn here. When I quit the last job(running that $$#*($ Citizen screw machine - gawd I hate them) I had the boss call a month later offering me more money to come back. At this point in time, I'm not willing to get dirty, cut, aggravated and generally put up with the nickle and dime bullshit from management for less than 18 bucks an hour HERE, where I don't have to pay rent or a mortgage..

And besides, I have a massive online presence, I get people asking me to do jobs all the time. I just haven't done anything lately because I didn't have the time to do it, and I still haven't wired up the shop.. I get fifty dollars an hour doing side work, and nobody looks over my shoulder... As for theCostco - they pays well, I don't have to bring in 20K worth of my own tools, I work with people who are roughly my own age, speak english(not to mention half of which are female thumb) and they give medical and dental. That and it's a 2 mile commute - I could walk to work if I had to.

HTRN