THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    The nice thing about 20 rnd mags

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The nice thing about 20 rnd mags
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted
You don't have to reload as often,,It helps to keep you from shooting a hole in the hood of your truck,,a couple wraps of ductape on the bottom of the mag so you don't scratch the paint. Had a co-worker riding with me,,saw a chuck about 150 yds away,,I jump out of the truck pulled out the H-bar,,I looked at my rider,,and said to myself,,the windows are rolled up,,he's ok,,laid across the hood and took out the chuck,,put the rifle back in the tool box and got in the truck,,weasel then proclaimed that that was the loudest fu@$#%!! rifle he had ever heard,and he was glad I got it on the first shot EekerClay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Coworker needs to get out more. I was at the range next to a fellow sighting in a .300 Kong. Not as loud as a 5" naval gun, but still an education in muzzle noise.

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Brass,,the dude is 70 y/o,,counting the days to retirement,,literally,,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clay, while back when I was groomin' Ravage at the range one of the shooters said it was one of the loudest guns he'd heard. I didn't have a clue how to respond to that. Not a single hint of a clue. bewildered

Having been on the line with .300 Weatherbys, .338 Win., and more than a few other Loundenboomers that will damn near shake your guts, I was at a loss. Even my Special talks pretty loud though it is more of a bass note than a sharp crack. One thing I've noted over time is that folks with diminished hearing resulting from a life around loud noise ususally find loud noises not so much loud as painful. Reality is 90% perception, or so I've heard. My reality may be different than that of others, who could judge that? Confused

Dan

POTYHC

www.Acoustic.Relativity

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I haven't put them over the chrono yet,,But playing with some 35 grn v-max sitting over pretty much a full .223 case of 4198,They have a pretty good crack when exiting the barrel,,the cases look ok,btw it's the only long stick powder I like,seems to throw light bullets from a .223 like nobodys business.Weasel does'nt wear a hearing aid,,and does'nt yell when talking,,I think the loudest thing he has heard before that encounter is a 12 ga AA 1 1/8 oz handicap round,,He's more into fishing,,nice and quiet Big GrinClay

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clay,
You've got a point. My Dad came over one night while I was shooting my M686 and he thought I was Dirty Harry. I think part of it is that he, and a lot of guys his age, just had a .22 rifle and a 20ga. 'cuz that's all they needed. He told me "I can handle everything from rats up to a booger coming in the window with what I've got. What else you need?"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hows this for a comeback Dan? You look at the dude with your head tipped to one side and more with one eye than the other, and with your voice carrying sympathy,diplomacy condesention and a hint of sarcasm, say softly "you don't get out much , do you?" Cool Big Grin derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hadn't considered that derf, good tip! Truth was I didn't know what to say...was thinkin' "You MOron." I held my tongue.

Dan

POTYHC

www.RifleRange.Diplomat

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
When I get a comment on the loudness of a shot, I usually respond with "That's nothing compared to the muzzle flash at night".

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crimson Mister
posted Hide Post
I've never been told that my gun was loud at the range, but I think I'd try this response:

"There's a nice bow range four miles down the road. So quiet there you can here the robins sing. Around here we detonate gun powder which tends to make noise. The more powder, the more noise. Get it! If we get a clean shot we'll even blow the robin's head off. Now get away from me you candy ass momma's boy."

How's that for diplomacy?

Some people are a lot like Slinkies: They're not good for much but it's kind of fun to push them down a flight of stairs.

Posts: 772 | Location: Norwalk, Wisconsin | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich, now you're being mean. hammering

rotflmo

Ned, once a long time ago in a galaxy far away I lived by the "Code of the Muzzle Flash". Now I guess that back in the olden days they had flash cards to teach gunners and pilots what looked like what, not wantin' to shoot down the wrong guy, and hopefully shootin' down the right guy....I guess the 'right' guy would dispute that designation, right? Confused

Anyway, when I got to Phu Bai they gave me some "flash cards". Smiler Well, not exactly cards mind you, but some shared first hand advice as to what constituted "friendly" muzzle flashes from "not so friendly". thumbI was all ears. Having said that I recall that Mom used to say that about me, but I digress. Frowner Well, the one that made the biggest impression on my impressionable mind was that of the 12.7mm, a rather high ranking POS on our own personal list of things not friendly. Gives an hour glass muzzle flash about 6' end to end(as the pilot, or in some cases a hysterical door gunner sees it), yellowish...if you're in doubt the first time you see it just watch the big orange-red basketballs come whizzin' by shortly thereafter. Speakin' of whizzin', it was always the first thing came to mind when I saw that. Eeker WTF? They think I was a slow learner or sumpthin'? bewildered

Where I'm goin' with all that is right here. I shot a .50 cal Renegade one evening, 'bout the time dark was winnin' the battle with light. Damn near whizzed right there...sakes alive, those big bore smokepoles do put out a lot of fire! Like to make one foresake that Johnny-come-lately smokeless stuff, all things considered. Wink

This all leads me to another question or two Ned. Do they ever do re-enactments at night? Confused If so, have you ever seen what kind of effect you get by using a crat for wadding on a 16 pounder or something like that? Wondering if it gives a tracer effect, what with all that hair burning etc. It's a subject I'm not deeply versed in, so anything you have to add would be appreciated. I don't know a lot about cannons and black.

Dan

POTYHC

www.TheRocketsRedGlare.CratsBurstingInAir

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Well Dan, I do know that the WW-I Howitzer my alma mater (Texas A&M) uses for a cannon at football games once belched something streaming smoke and crackling sparks. Seems we Aggies have a tradition of appearing at the football stadium at midnight before home games. The cannon is there to remind all the sleepy folk that we are having a game tomorrow and such. Well the smart guys turn it TOWARD the crowd for these festivities...better effect if you get my drift.

I don't know what they used for wadding that compacted and sailed end to end into the cheap seats that night, but it was a good muzzle flash for sure. Definately a BP charge too. I sure hope it was a crat!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sheeeeet... my last trip to the range... (all 1/8th mile of the trip) I was just settling in and starting to slowly, gently... s q u e e z e the trigger, when unnoticed by me the guy at the bench next to me switched from the 10/22 "space gun"
he had been shooting to the other rifle in his case... a 30-378Wby with a brake on it...

Frankly I was suprised that the lenses stayed in my scope from the concussion, one of the lenses in MY shooting glasses did not... Jeeezus Keeerispies that sucker was LOUD....

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
Well, I know that .300 mag of mine will sure make a "joyful noise unto the Lord."

( http://www.alaweb.com/~crowell/pics/coyote02.jpg )

I've fired that one off 2 or 3 times back to back without any ear-protection and for the rest of the day, and most of the next every human voice I heard sounded like they had a "metallic twang" to the voice, like a robotic voice or something.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first time I torched off a 300WM was at an indor range. The used a tunnel system there at the time. It was so cool, BOOM, and out went the lights in the tunnel. The concussion got them! derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
It is funny what people think: I remember when i first got my .303 jungle carbine. i had some surplus ammo; you know, the 174 grain FMJ over whatever those Pakistanis were loading it with back then. We went out to the rock quarry that was the unofficial shooting range of the day and there was a fellow with a couple of ladies there shooting some whiz-bang 9mm. I assumed a position safely to the right (well beyond the range of his brass) and mostly even on the "line" when i offered a casual "fire in the hole," took aim at a can, and squeezed the trigger. Now, a jungle carbine will bark a little, but the response of our fellow gun enthusiast was just a little startling:

"what was that, a .50 cal?"

to say the least, it lowered my opinion of the 9mm.

When i was a reenactor, we would do occasional "night firings" for kicks. We had a battery of mountain howitzers and often resorted to augmenting our charges to get respect from some of the field guns. For daytime shooting, we would often top the powder charge with flower of some kind which would not ignite until the moment it left the barrel at which the heat of (as i recall) 4 oz of F black would cause the flower to oxidize rather quickly. Event organizers who would allow parking too close to the battle field didn't like us but you could tell who had car alarms. For the night firing, the flower was changed to fine steel wool, which had its own effect. I happen to have about five pounds of magnesium...might have to look the old fellows up.

Anyway, a rarer treat was when Jimmy would cut the fuse on an arial shell and put it over a half-charge of black. We did a night at the Hoover Met and was asked to fire once every inning and for each Baron home run. We were shooting the arial shells and they were nice. Someone goofed and placed the shell over a full charge, causing said shell to expode leaving the barrel. Now that was an impressive muzzle blast.

All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
--Niels Bohr

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lois, myself and her then husband (hmmmmmmmm, the plot thickens) stopped into the local indoor range in Boise about four years ago. The right side of the range was packed wall to wall with young men showing their girlfriends how to shoot 22's, 9's, 40's and one older fellow practicing bullseye shooting with cast bullets at about 400 fps from his 1940's vintage International Harvester (Remington Rand? Singer Sewing Machine? Mary Kay Cosmetics?) M1911. The only open lane was one of two at the far end with "sound baffles" for rifle shooting. I had spent the day backing up sports at the local pasture based bison shooting emporium. Went out to the truck, grabbed the 416 Rigby and a handful of cartridges. Stepped into the booth and sent three down range as fast as I could work the bolt. No one was bleeding from their ears, eyes or noses, but they thought they were. Dead silence. I then said, "ok Tool Tom, I'll do seven more, then you get ten and Lois gets ten."

A few minutes later and we each had three lanes to ourselves.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey LD, don't you just love educating the masses? Big Grin derf

one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
Pfft, you guys are all a bunch of sissy's. Rifles, even safari guns with brakes on 'em aren't that loud.

You want loud, you go BIG:

24lb Field howitzer, firing an 18lb cast zinc ball using 4 ounces of black powder.

It set off car alarms across the street. gunsmile

HTRN

Posts: 261 | Location: In my Subterranean lair, okay, I admit it, it's a basement | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote