New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tale Of Woe
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What's a guy gonna do? Friday I went to the ranch to check on blinds (had a heck of a storm over the weekend) as I didn't want my hog hunters to show up and have to help put blinds back upright before they could hunt.

I stopped at my usual place for coffee--in Jourdanton (for you non-southerners, that's Jur-din-tun), and while buckling my seatbelt in preparation for heading on down the road, I saw a brush beast slinking and sneaking towards the store. Had my .22 mag pistol (snake medicine) in the seat beside me and my .22-250 in the case in the truck bed, but too many folks around. And, he was between two cars and I couldn't get to him with my BFGoodrich's. Discretion ruled and I proceeded south, but with the coordinates filed away for future reference.

Then, on the way home, heading up the interstate, I noticed a light colored patch in the grass along side the road. Lo and behold, a B&C class crat!!!! Stalking something. Well, my armament had not changed and I was so sorely tempted to try for a shot. However, the density of traffic of folks heading back north from the coast was prohibitive, and discretion overwhelmed instinct again.

Sigh!! What's a guy gonna do? Frowner

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
D.

Bite your lip n' bide your time. All good crats come to thows who wait....

Dave.

Posts: 386 | Location: Displaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dustoffer, let me allow that I'm in agreement with Dave. Having arrived home only a few minutes ago, I'm pleased to announce that over the breadth and depth of Dixie and some 3194 miles I noted that 14 crats failed to reach the other side of the road. thumb OTOH, I saw 4 that were still alive and out of reach of my Pirelli Radials. Frowner Oddly, the live ones were in Alabama and Arkansas...thinking that welfare takes the edge off of reflexes, or perhaps one's appetite. Confused One big black tommy was stalking ducks on the edge of an Arkansas rice field, but as in your circumstance there was too much traffic. I woulda tried with my .22 Mag wheelgun otherwise...

Well, it's great to be back! I have much discourse to dispense, an odd bit here and there needing some thought before the fact.

Dan

POTYHC

www.Flat.Crats

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Say dustoffer,
maybe lie on the seat with the offside door open? gunsmile

Dogs have masters.....cats have "staff"..... but i aint no servant!

Posts: 203 | Location: Vancouver Island BC | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hound--I can't imagine the hearing damage I would incur letting the .22 mag go like that. It is about all I can take just shooting it at a snake. 'Course, I could always keep my earmuffs in the truck . . .

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I take the doors off my Jeep when I am out highway crat stalking. Every once in a while the local traffic
thinks they hear a backfire from a Jeep in traffic. Some times two if I miss the first time with the TC G2
in 357 Herritt.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:
hound--I can't imagine the hearing damage I would incur letting the .22 mag go like that. It is about all I can take just shooting it at a snake. 'Course, I could always keep my earmuffs in the truck . . .

Go with the muffs! clap

Dogs have masters.....cats have "staff"..... but i aint no servant!

Posts: 203 | Location: Vancouver Island BC | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's why I like .22 CB's.

The problem with the parking lot scenario is that finding a perforated crat there tends to piss off folks who don't like you shooting around their ride. A richochet also causes hate and discontent. A wise shooter has the self control to resist low percentage situations.

The best thing for that situation is to cruise behind the restaurant (where most of them keep the dumpster) and leave some of your favorite feline toxin beside it. Then you can drive away, content in the knowledge that you have "cast thy bread upon the waters".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dustoffer, were you aware that you cannot be held legally responsable for your actions if you were having a fit of sneezing? It's true. This has been used as an excuse in a court case(successfully) and backed up by research.
SO, if you were to have a fit of sneezing and only lost control enough to accidently run over a crat, that would reflect your incredible driving skills, Right? Wink derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of panzerguy
posted Hide Post
I useta shoot CB longs for "cat in parking lot" until someone "helped me out" but finding a .22 hi-vel on the ground, and slipped into my ready tray of CB longs. I hope the neighbors thought a kid had set off a firecracker, but I missed the crat and the richochet whizzed off into who knows where land.

Posts: 278 | Location: Wherever I park my tank | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sneezing fit? Got to remember that defense in case I ever am overcome by the "duty calls" thing when I see that crat again. 'Cept maybe I should invest in an Encore or Contender with a .22 barrel and some CBs? And to think I just started building a 6mm Rem--