THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    When your in an area that is no shooting?.......

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When your in an area that is no shooting?.......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is it fair to put sardine oil inside your radiator shroud as a treat for the neighbors nasty sneaky Grouse and Duckling killer? Should i change from a plastic fan to a steel one (humanitarian purposes)?
Or is it better to livetrap him and deposit him in the "livewell" on my boat for catching sandsharks (aka dogfish)?
Would it be considered cheap of me to not use him all at once?
Figured you guys would be up on the rules Big Grin
hound

Dogs have masters.....cats have "staff"..... but i aint no servant!

Posts: 203 | Location: Vancouver Island BC | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the live well approach. You might ruin a fanbelt.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What rules? Razzer

Posts: 53 | Location: Washington | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
It is probably better to put the sardine oil on your neighbors's radiator shroud for the first attempt. After all, it's their cat. Damn the fan blade! It's the serpentine that gets them! I was always taught "Big Bait, Big Fish", so use the whole cat, just like when musky fishing or coyote baiting. Sometimes a little pesto sauce made of sardine oil and catnip works wonders too, especially for those rather longish field shots at ranch cougars.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
"No Shooting?" bewildered

Hmmmm,,,,ya got me there. Never imagined there was such a place.Is that near San FranCrisco?

The Fan Shroud thing sounds pretty good to me,but I'm with N.S as far as usin' the neighbors flivver.

Them plastic floor tiles that ya put down yerself, sticky side up work great.Put down three or four so if the crat flops around,he will make himself a lil' Crat Igloo.Those tiles burn hot and slow too. Smiler

As far as sounding cheap not using the whole crat for bait,thats non sense. shame

I can make the head of a nightcrawler last all afternoon brim fishin'.I don't see why ya couldn't make a crat head last awhile turtle fishin'.

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Them plastic floor tiles that ya put down yerself, sticky side up work great.Put down three or four so if the crat flops around,he will make himself a lil' Crat Igloo.Those tiles burn hot and slow too.

I like that. I really do. Imagine, crats building wee little shelters for wayward eskimos...

animal animal animal

Dan

POTYHC

http://www.AlmostA.FurLinedPotty

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All right!
There is no place in the world that has such talented people as here on AR.
Say, do you suppose that "Wickipedia" may be courting us soon?
Fan belt needs changing anyway and i'm too old and fat to get under the neighbors Honda Wink

Those tiles are great for catching mice and ants but i never thought of a crathouse! Whooo hoo!
I'm gonna get me a couple tourniquets and use a drumstick for Halibut clap

Posts: 203 | Location: Vancouver Island BC | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Baited conibears in cubbies(cardboard boxes).I've eliminated many field lions from my Dads place in town.Just slide the cubbies up against the hedge.No one sees these little dandies.Oh what joy they bring!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You must elaborate kickback. Since a smokey with crats moved in next door I have been a little skiddish and the crats crap in the flower box when I am not around. I have a youngen so I can't try poison and the crats won't get in the live trap out back.

Posts: 47 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Hi Jamon.
A fellow crat lover on here posted a fine suggestion.
Put a lil sardine oil on the Troopers fan shroud.
That way HE gets the ass-chewing from his better half. Smiler

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the Friskies and Exlax.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is the ExLax for the crat or the trooper? Confused

Dan

POTYHC

www.DontChewThat.Ass!

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmmm....."sticky tiles", i have noticed that mans worst enemy most always hops on top of a tire on my truck. Now if the top of said tire had a tile stuck to it with contact cement that crat would be hard to miss when you put her in gear! jumping

posted Hide Post
Jamon-
You have to quit being a semi-crat lover. There comes a time when you have got to throw down and get nasty. If a few little cries for help from your enemy bother you that much you have failed us all. You better toughen up and start wack'en.

Posts: 21 | Location: oregon | Registered: 09 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TFL, you have a good attitude! thumb Is it hard keeping friends out there in Orygon? I know there's a lot of tree humpers around Seatle, dunno about the rest...well, except for OEH's neighborhood. They ain't gotta chance agin him. Wink

Dan

POTYHC

www.HeardYallBeen.HavinSomeRainToo

posted Hide Post
D.D.- Thanks for the warm welcome. In regards to Jamon and his crat problem. I have tried to mentor the boy for upwards of 20 years. I have told him of the correct techniques to be rid of his enemies, and demonstrated them to him first hand, I think that it was all for not. He talks of the lead injection but I'am afeared no. Simply transplanting your enemy to another location without even a good kick to get them on there way is very disturbing. I feel I have failed in his education. The only good thing is that his boy is still young. This will leave me one more chance at saving his household.

"You can lead a horse to water........"

one of us
posted Hide Post
There's a likely reason a smokey moved in next door with a cat. It may be that the cat is a puss lure or that he is saving it to test a new Weatherby on. A chat or two with him will soon set the record straight. He is like some here who keep a crat around for not so obvious reasons.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sherlock-- Please don't try and hide your repressed feelings. I can sense your crat loving vibe you got going. No amount of self justification will right this horrible wrong. I would be leery of anyone who is a CRAT lover especially a smokey crat lover.

YOU CAN LIE TO US........ BUT YOU CANT LIE TO YOURSELF......

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know that anyone around here would admit to such dastardly double dealings NS, well 'cept for derf...there was a couple others that have admitted it under duress(wives and shysters are a powerful combo)...anyway, there was talk on one of the other threads about using the game caller with the kitten noises to lure Tommy. Confused Set me to thinkin'...ya realize I'm sure...it ain't no tree humpin' PETA hugger that's makin' those tapes, sellin' them at Cabella's and such. You know it's...probably one of us...somebody so sinister my addled mind could n'er figure it out. Eeker

Can you imagine it? Mr. "X"(fer ex-crat in the house) comes home from deer huntin', says to the misses, "Honey, I'm back! Fix some dinner while I go make us some money!" Followed by the sounds of a crat being tortured wafting thru the house(it's probably only the sound you make when the rocker catches a tail, but still, it sounds really...horrid. Eeker Derf would know I'm sure. Wink I ain't sayin' it's him mind you, but he has some affiliation...

In a really odd sorta way it actually sounds kinda like fun. Ya know, when a fella squeezed all the sound out of them he could always toss 'em to the gators...or dogs...whatever. Might even get a few more sound effects out of 'em in the bargain! thumb

Dan

POTYHC

www.ThisReally.SOUNDSlikeFun!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nah Dan, derf is more creative than that and way more bent....judging by the emails i get lol
I actually suspect he uses a "crattleprod"!
Also there is a chance that, like me, he has learned that a near drowned crat gets down to a nice pitifully attractive sound and if your careful they last pretty good Big Grin

one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
You people sickify me. thumbdown

A total lack of imagination.

Nail guns.
Tree Chippers.
Garbage compactors.
The tail pipe trick(a favorite of Derf's)
Make your own glueboards.
Snares
Conibears
Havaharts and a drum of water
Paintball guns with frozen paintballs
Antifreeze

Take a trip to home depot and let your imagination run wild.

HTRN

Posts: 261 | Location: In my Subterranean lair, okay, I admit it, it's a basement | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I was American I could plead the 5TH! Roll Eyes Since I ain't, the best I can say is, if you handle them right,they don't run out of sound and don't try to fluff dry tabby in the drier on high heat. sofa
Oh, and by the way Wayne, Dan has been on my jokes mailing list longer than you have! Big Grin
One more quick comment for DD,"save the whales"? Geez, you can be subtle at times!!! Wink Derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
derf, I know YOU wouldn't do such a thing, wasn't trying to imply such heinous behavior on your part. Whew! I feel better about that! Smiler Ususally I say "Nuke the Whales"...don't recall saving any lately. I ran from a few in my younger days....no reparte' required. Razzer

I had something really cosmic happen a few nights back, and along with Ned's ruminations...which brought on my game call speculations, and that night...

You remember last summer when I mentioned I'd been with the misses over in Ocala, and the folks we visited...had crats? A BIRMAN crat...that crawled up into my lap? Eeker Wanted you to know that I got out of quarintine for the rabies thing on schedule, and I'm clean BTW... Well, they visited a few nights back, and thought since I'd been so "understanding" when that had happened...they brought the little Chitt(OK) along, and his NEW BROTHER too! It was EMBARRASSING! Red Face Friggin' crat hairs everywhere, I'm back in quarintine Frowner and I gotta look under all the pillows and CHITT(OK) for CHITT(OK) and BARFF(I forget) and hairballs. I really do love my wife...I like her too...but this is pushin' it a little... shame The wife said it I ever farted like that in public again there would be "Hell to pay, and it'll come in a stainless skillet!" shame

Anyway, that's how that epiphany came to pass. A Cosmic alignment of Sub-Space and Ion Pulse Cannons, or something similar. Speakin' of 'passing'...

Dan

POTYHC

www.DuckN.Cover

one of us
posted Hide Post
Found myself in a sort of "heaven" today when I went to do a winter mowing on two lawns I take care of. They are both summer houses on a lake, but one house in between has year-round residents and they have lots of crats! I know that part of my responsibilities in watching the houses includes keeping the premises varmint-free. To date, it has only been a few snakes, possums, and armadillos. Now I can have some real fun. I can trap them and see how long they swim in the live trap (I think Dan said it was about a minute), or shoot them and feed them to the turtles, or, toss them over the fence into the yard with the Weimaraner. Maybe I will trap all three and try all three remedies, or maybe I'll just take my Sheridan to the lake and smack 'em. In any event, it'll be fun.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by derf:
If I was American I could plead the 5TH! Roll Eyes Since I ain't, the best I can say is, if you handle them right,they don't run out of sound and don't try to fluff dry tabby in the drier on high heat. sofa
Oh, and by the way Wayne, Dan has been on my jokes mailing list longer than you have! Big Grin
One more quick comment for DD,"save the whales"? Geez, you can be subtle at times!!! Wink Derf

Flushed ya out didn't we? Dan is real good! wave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan, I was refering to those little tiny letters at the bottom of your post on another site. What he said was, "Save the Whales, Collect the Whole Set". I am willing to bet that almost no one else on that site saw it. derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh...That other site...yep, mystery solved! thumb

Dan

POTYHC

www.DontForgetThe.Greenstamps

one of us
posted Hide Post
Our doctors here recommend a Deutscher Jagd Terrier:

Last breeding season was VERY quiet for the song birds in our garden.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
How right you are Duk. I have seen only one of these guys in action but I was impressed. They're not quite as big jawed as a fox terrier, just as gritty and I think a little smarter. We always crossed some rat terrier into the fox terriers to help their itelligence. ( A rat terrier will wait for a bear to turn around and bite him the arse, a fox t. will just start biting.) The fox t. is a little more independent and the rat t. cross is a little bit more of a people pleaser. I was hoping the jagd had the qualities of rat t. with the toughness and grit of the fox t. Does anyone have one these dogs? I be intrested to here more.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When it comes to Crat dogs, i am partial to the "Jerk Russels".
Those fearless little buggers can provide a ton of entertainment even though they have an unfortunate penchant for taking on critters way bigger than them like bears, 'yotes, cougars etc. and don't last long in 'yote country. If you have three or more, nothing lays a claw or tooth on em and its good fun watching as they tree most of their prey.
With Crats treed, one needs to zap the branch they are on, then get one into them before they hit the ground. gunsmile

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TFL:
Does anyone have one these dogs? I be intrested to here more.

I admit to being a victim, can you see the new grey hair on my temples? I can't even say I wasn't told so... Wink

Seriously, our is now 12 month old, very gifted in regard of hunting, strong will, intelligent but not really a docile learner. I had figured that I could train him like the other dogs I had had. Different story it turned out, you need a LOT of consequence and more often than not, a hard hand as well, just can't do without.

The big advantage is that when well trained you have a full size, universal hunting dog in a very small package. When not very well trained, you release them on a driven hunt and might see them again between hours to weeks later... In both cases, there is always the possibility that they die a soldier's death in the line of duty.

Like they say, there are dogs and then there are terriers, like there are motobikes and there are Harleys. I just like them.

Crats beware!

one of us
posted Hide Post
DUK, you sound a lot more intelligent here in the Crat Forum. I like dogs for the most part, but li'l yappers make good treats for lizards....and slippers. They make real good slippers! thumb

Dan

POTYHC

www.Crats.TheOtherWhiteMeat

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DigitalDan:
DUK, you sound a lot more intelligent here in the Crat Forum. [/URL]

No, it is I guess the other way round: Your perception is less disturbed here than on the Politico Forum...

Wink

one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
quote:
disturbed

Hey,,,,,,I resemble that remark. Smiler

Hi,DUK. wave

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

We are all not as dumb as we look.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, it is I guess the other way round: Your perception is less disturbed here than on the Politico Forum...

Ha! Even here in the Enlightened Palace of Red Mist...you quack me up! rotflmo

Dan

POTYHC

www.Well.WeCanAgreeToDisagree

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quack, quack!