New
Find
Notify
Tools

A note for N.S. Sherlock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was cleaning out the workshop, today, getting ready to move to the new one, when I came upon a certain unfired 1860 Army Colt. I grabbed a flask of FFFG, some caps, .452 ball and a can of Crisco, and took a break from cleaning to make sure I got to fire it. Well, it sure doesn't shoot like a $100 gun! At 25 yards I was easily able to print, with real loads. Five nice rounds in and around a standard slow-fire pistol target bull. Aiming a foot or so low, of course.

While it took me a little while to shoot it, thought you might like to know that I got me a keeper, there! Thanks for the great time in Winchester, again!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
quote:

WOW! That is minute of crat for sure. Most of our competitive shooters are using 18g/fffg, wonder wad and round ball for 25 yards. I safetied this year for a yankee team in the pouring rain. 4 shooters, four cylinders each loaded, 2 total misfires, of which both went off on second capping. Clay pigeons at 25 and 4" clay tiles at 50. Want to open the Iowa branch ? Regards, N.S.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I'd loaded it with Triple Seven right after we left Winchester, and that is what was in the five chambers when I picked it up Sunday, some 8 months later. Shot the first five almost like a bad flintlock. pop........BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

I've learned my lesson with Triple 7 and moisture, for sure.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote