Find
Notify
Tools

What to use for Beavers?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted
I went to a fish-fry up on Lake Guntersville this weekend and while looking up the slough, i noticed a beaver dam. It reminded me of a buddy who was complaining of beaver problems on his property (he asked me if i could blow the dam, i asked him not to ask in public adn refered him to a different friend) and began to think that this would be good cat practice (lots of dogs around here, few cats about). I don't think this is a real noise problem, so i think it would be fun to play with some light loads in my 1891 carbine (i have a pile of 110gr 32-20 lead bullets but thought about 90gr hp's). Looking on Auction Arms, i noticed a Savage in 25-20 and thought it good though i would like a .30-something. There is the fellow that advertises a 32acp adaptor for various .30's.

Thoughts, comments?

All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
--Niels Bohr

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Hi 45LCs, Just try some of those light bullets with small chrges of pistol powders in the argie cases. Gallery loads so to speak. They probably wont be very good though and here is why I think that. I have a .32 long colt rifle barreled with a 1909 argie barrel, same twist at the 91 carbine. 3-4-5 grains of Gdot, unique, 231, and several more don't work with 90 grain semi wad cutters or double ended wcs. The adapter likely won't work either. Shoot full weight lead alloy bullets and you will likely find good accuracy with 12 grains 2400 or similar. Good luck on the beaver part too.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crimson Mister
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45LCshooter:
There is the fellow that advertises a 32acp adaptor for various .30's.

Thoughts, comments?

Funny you should ask. Just yesterday I was reading a book called "Hard-Core Poaching" by Ragnar Benson. In it he was describing the use of subcaliber adapters. He claims the .32acp adapter in his .308 is about as good as a suppressor. Claims he shot a whitetail while his daughter was in a stand 50 yards away and all she heard was the wack of the bullet striking the skull. If you get one let us know if it is true. I did a search for the company he talked about in the book, but the book is at least 15 years old and Google didn't come up with anything.

Some people are a lot like Slinkies: They're not good for much but it's kind of fun to push them down a flight of stairs.

Posts: 772 | Location: Norwalk, Wisconsin | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I typed in .32 acp adapter in google,,and it spit up a bunch of stuff http://www.ows-ammo.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/35?osCs...18ff452fbc988bc22da6

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
Guess I'll have to get a 32-20 or something to load those bullet in. Got some 110 grain TNT's for .308, but i may as well use them in the FAL. Just didn't want serious noise for not-so-serious shooting.

Brainstormed about rebarreling a .22 Hornet bolt gun to .30 carbine but would have to buy the whole rig, don't want to spend more money on a project when I have other ideas i can't afford to pull into reality. The other idea would have been a "heavy" bullet 32ACP contender.

I would be happy with a .310 Cadet.

All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
--Niels Bohr

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a steel 32 acp adapter case for the .30/06 Springfield cartridge. I don't shoot a .308 Win. but would consider these adapters better suited for the .308 Win. rather than the full-length .30/06 Case - just MHO, no fact.

I also have one for the .223 Rem/22LR but it is a major PITA to fiddle with since it has a rimfire adapter within the steel centerfire .223 Rem. case. I tried it with a bunch of different 22LR ammo and never got any reasonable accuracy out of it, even at 25 yards. It simply wasn't minute of Crat in either my .223 Heym and like the 32 acp/.30/06 Sprg. adapter wouldn't fit in the chamber of my .223 Rem. Blaser R93 barrel, either.

The 32 acp adapter fit just fine in my Steyr-Mannlicher & Ruger (both now sold) chambers and also my highly modified L/H Savage 110 but alas it won't go into my R93 Blaser .30/06 Sprg. barrel. I've considered getting out an electric drill and some sandpaper and doing a custom fit - a project that was stillborn - perhaps a good Small Game Hunting Forum Project?

Anyway, I digress - it shot O.K. up to about 35-40 yards (2 moa) but after that started hitting very low and even alot lower at 100 meters where the groups had opend up to @ 8". It is difficult to figure trajectory with that kind of group. The one credit it earned was a Pine Marten at @ 50 meters that jinked when he should have zagged but the FMJ bullet isn't eactly a drop'em in their tracks killer and it did the Cha-Cha for a while before it expired; so a better bullet mouse-trap would be required IMO also. Still the trajectory issue.....

They are in my opinion, less loud than a 22LR but about as quiet as you're gonna get out of a centerfire without some gallery loads or the legal hassle and threading the barrel of a rifle for a supressor. I guess if I had the patience to dick around at the loading bench with those little cases, some Bullseye and lead hollow-points I may be able get it to hit to point-of aim?

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frosty03
posted Hide Post
What to use for Beavers?

Well...we don't have the same kind of beavers here in Florida as you do up north.

Down here, a loaded Johnson usually gives the most satisfaction.

Long barrels or short barrels it doesn't matter, the end result is the same. Wink

Posts: 42 | Location: Florida | Registered: 11 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was wondering when this would get around to the beaver part. So, "A little beaver is good for you." G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can add nothing of note to the sage advice already posted. I do recall that the last time I had a beaver problem it was resolved with lawyers and a judge.

Dan

POTYHC

www.WorkedFor.Me

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of panzerguy
posted Hide Post
Actually, I've found something a little more "cunning" than a johnson to be the trick. Especially when you want them knocking down your door. Cool

Posts: 278 | Location: Wherever I park my tank | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
.22 Hornet without a dought is the perfect Beaver medicine. Or a hard-packed roll of paper currency from your favorite country of origin. clap

Congressional power is like a toddler with a hammer. There is no limit to the damage that can be done before it is taken away from them.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bEAVER MEDICINE. Well in my travels it seems that plying them with drinks, compliments, food and flowers worked. To get rid of them you'll need lawyers thumbdown

Posts: 72 | Location: S.E. Wi for now | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can add nothing of note to the sage advice already posted. I do recall that the last time I had a beaver problem it was resolved with lawyers and a judge.

And I'll bet you got screwed one last time but are still waiting for the kiss.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perforator:
.22 Hornet without a dought is the perfect Beaver medicine. Or a hard-packed roll of paper currency from your favorite country of origin. clap

Sometimes the medicine isn't required until AFTER the contact with the beavers.

Some people are a lot like Slinkies: They're not good for much but it's kind of fun to push them down a flight of stairs.

Posts: 772 | Location: Norwalk, Wisconsin | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to spoil anybodies fun, but getting back to the original thread, a .22 WMR is perfect and brain shots are imperative or they'll sink. A properly shot beaver simply stops swimming - no kicking, no twitching, and no thrashing around.

If you don't want any noise at all, use a #11 Conibear trap.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Say hello to my little friend, the .17HMR

Well polish my balls and serve me a milkshake!

Posts: 325 | Location: Cordele, GA | Registered: 24 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Critter_Killer:
Say hello to my little friend, the .17HMR

Aren't the bullets in the .17HRM varmint type?

If so, I wonder if they will reliably penetrate a beaver skull from various angles.

I teach anatomy (among other things) and none of the students can believe how heavy and robust beaver skulls are -- those massive tree-cutting jaw muscles attach to massive bone and its thickness is way out of proportion compared to similar-size critters. Beaver skull

Just a thought -- I have no experience with the .17 HRM - yet! Smiler

John

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jpb, you would be surprised at what that little round can do. Yes most are varmint bullets. But they also make an FMJ too. Though with a 17grn TNT or 20 grn gamegetter it wouldnt be a problem.

Well polish my balls and serve me a milkshake!

Posts: 325 | Location: Cordele, GA | Registered: 24 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Critter_Killer:
jpb, you would be surprised at what that little round can do. Yes most are varmint bullets. But they also make an FMJ too. Though with a 17grn TNT or 20 grn gamegetter it wouldnt be a problem.

Cool -- I thought only fragile bullets were available (that is what I've seen hyped anyway!).

Hmmmmmm... maybe I need a new rifle... Smiler

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To make light of this topic once again, in the true tradition of this forum to take almost nothing seriously, perhaps FDS would be the best way to deal with a stinky old beaver? hijack again! Big Grin derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now, now Derf. You know just the slightest mention of beaver, however irrelevant, ALWAYS distorts what would be an otherwise normal cat shooting, cutting, stabbing, spearing, epoxying or feloinious kind of inquiry.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of panzerguy
posted Hide Post
Ummm, you DO know you used "beaver" and "cat spearing" in the same phrase, don't you?

Posts: 278 | Location: Wherever I park my tank | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They hunt beavers with rifles in Scandinavia. You could likely get good advice on the European forum.

VBR,

Ted Gorsline

Posts: 1116 | Location: asted@freenet.de | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I for one am not sure I would want most euros advising me on how to hunt the beaver. N.S.

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N. S. Sherlock:
I for one am not sure I would want most euros advising me on how to hunt the beaver. N.S.

But hunting the rare blonde Swedish beaver is such fun... Smiler

John in Sweden

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpb:
quote:

But hunting the rare blonde Swedish beaver is such fun... Smiler

John in Sweden

OH GOODY! Back to the Swedish Bikini Team! clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang, having never been to sweden, I always asummed blond beavers were common there!

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I notice in the news lately that quite a bit of illegal Swedish blond beaver hunting is done by Muslim Swedes, whereas this kind of illegal thing rarely occurred historically in Sweden. That kind of change is probably not so good for Swedish blond beaver populations and their lodges. They may well become extinct.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I notice in the news lately that quite a bit of illegal Swedish blond beaver hunting is done by Muslim Swedes, whereas this kind of illegal thing rarely occurred historically in Sweden. That kind of change is probably not so good for Swedish blond beaver populations and their lodges. They may well become extinct.

Time to liberate Sweden.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, blond beavers be more important than oil. rotflmo It has been my experience that they are much more palitable than oil anyway.

Dan

POTYHC

www.PrioritiesB.Priorities

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rich Cale:
quote:

Time to liberate Sweden.

Being the noble guardian of an equally rare and cherished Scottish blonde beaver, I must agree that no price is too high to come to the defence of these priceless creatures.

We shall fight to the last man, if we must! And, whoever that last man shall be, should consider himself very, very lucky indeed!

I propose a new organization. The Noble Knight Defenders of Blonde Beaver. Strategy meetings to be held at your local Hooters. Smiler

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bravo SIR! Bravo! It is good that western folk know what lurks in forest, field, and town.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If memory serves, our benefactor possesses one of the German variety of the species. Perhaps he'll join us in our quest, though he would be opposing his brethren.

sofa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Being the noble guardian of an equally rare and cherished Scottish blonde beaver, I must agree that no price is too high to come to the defence of these priceless creatures.

We shall fight to the last man, if we must! And, whoever that last man shall be, should consider himself very, very lucky indeed!

I propose a new organization. The Noble Knight Defenders of Blonde Beaver. Strategy meetings to be held at your local Hooters. Smiler

I nominate Fischer as the Sherrif Arpaio of the AR Beaver Posse.

one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
I used to be the proud Owner/Operator/Gaurdian of a Blonde Beaver. That is until said Blonde got under my skin and is now my Ex.Don't miss it a bit.

Now I've been put in charge of a rather extinct Red Haired Beaver.Softer than silk.Red eyebrows and all and sparsely sprinkeled with freckles.

Only diff between the two is that the Blonde was rather easy to get tangeled up with,where as the Red One thinks that a half nelson is foreplay.

Whew !

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang it poletax! You made me remember I got waylaid by a blond beaver one time that left me tied in a knot and beggin' for mercy. Good thing she had some! Fun it was though!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by poletax:
I used to be the proud Owner/Operator/Gaurdian of a Blonde Beaver. That is until said Blonde got under my skin and is now my Ex.Don't miss it a bit.

Now I've been put in charge of a rather extinct Red Haired Beaver.Softer than silk.Red eyebrows and all and sparsely sprinkeled with freckles.

Only diff between the two is that the Blonde was rather easy to get tangeled up with,where as the Red One thinks that a half nelson is foreplay.

Whew !

Both the blonde one's and the red one's are pretty much impossible to tame. But every once in a while you can get one to imprint on you, and that works out OK. Smiler

As for me, I've always coveted a red one, but just find them TOO dangerous. Eeker

one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
quote:
but just find them TOO dangerous

The one that bosses me around has an Irish temper and her lil' sister is just tempting. Smiler

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We better strasighten up here. 45longcoltshooter originally had a loading question and look what happened.