posted
Here is a picture of snowshoe hares with beagle in winter here in Newfoundland

Anybody else shoot rabbits with dogs
regards
dan

Posts: 45 | Location: nfld canada | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only year I ever hunted snowshoes was a freak winter in Minnesota with no snow. Mother nature told them that when they turned white, they were invisable. Not against the grasses and leaves that were uncovered that year. After a couple it was time to try for some squirrels, at least they were a challenge in the trees.
Only time out with a dog, it was a friends and our afternoon was interrupted by a porky. Dog made three tries to bite it, pulled forty/fifty, seemed like a hundred quills out of his muzzel, tongue lips, ears, paws. Vet gave the dog morphine, I gave the porky 240 grains from a 44 Mag. It had already absorbed a low brass twelve gauge from point blank and kept walking.
No, I don't much hunt with dogs.

Elmer Keith. Enough said.

Posts: 40 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 06 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted Hide Post
We hunt snowshoes up here in Maine with Beagles. We are still waiting for snow. Looks like you already got quite a bit of the white stuff.

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use to do a lot of it. then my buddys beagle died and just have found another good one to run with.

But we almost always use .22 rifles and pistols found it way to easy with shotguns.

Who knows how many hundreds of hares we shot.

All great fun.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gordy
posted Hide Post
That picture was taken last february no snow here yet
regards
dan

posted Hide Post
Gordy, I was wondering what you think of beagles as pets as opposed to being hunting dogs. I love hunting and a dog will definitely get his time in the field with me. However, a dog is a household companion far more then he is a hunter. I've heard they can be really loud as pets. What's the good and bad of them?

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of gordy
posted Hide Post
Beagles like any dog can make wonderful pets. Beagles that are loud are usually kenneled dogs. Its no problem to keep a beagle in the home