THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    The Killing Fields have just gotten bigger.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Killing Fields have just gotten bigger.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My parents just moved to Montana a couple of months ago from Florida.They bought a little place 8 miles north of mine.Yesterday I was helping Pa clean his eve troughes.While on the ladder I see 3 feral "field lions" make a beeline for his bird feeders.The answer to unspoken prayer.We will use the garage as a hide and unleash my old Mag 10.Two oz. of copper coated BB's.I might not be able to sleep in anticipation.Pa said"shoot them damn cats son".I will ,Oh I will.

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
A son should always do what his father asks of him, especially when it gets your juices running. Savor that moment just before the trigger lets go. I can almost smell the cat blood now.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kickback, do it on a frosty morn just as the sun breaks the skyline.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.RedSteam.Rising

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Ah, the circle of life. Birdseed for birds, birds for cats, cats for coyotes, coyotes for wolves, wolves taking the dirt nap, peace in the valley......

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pa said"shoot them damn cats son".I will ,Oh I will.

And a fine son you are.
I'm gettin' all misty-eyed.

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
kICKBACK,,,welcome to the forum,,,Seems that we have yet another outstanding member to our group CoolClay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a twofer!!!! Sunday morning I opened a can of Wallyworld cat food and placed it downwind of the bird feeders.I stood in the garage with the Mag 10 and sipped good strong coffee.After about 20 minutes I see movement by the grainery,here come 2 field lions.My pulse quickens,it becomes hard to breath.I raise the 10 up as the field lions approach,off snicks the safety.Everything goes into slow motion as the porch panthers smell the food and advance,there is,suspended in time,a split second when they are lined up,one in front of the other.At that space in time my right index finger strokes the trigger,I'm fully alive,I feel the sear break.The gun recoils in slow motion,as I follow through my sight returns to the lawn leopards.Both have been blown backwards,the front one headless,the second one is a mass of pulpy fur.Smoke hangs in the air,my ears ring.I hit both of them with one load of 2 oz's of copper coated BB's.Only one hitch with this harvest,Paw was in the kitchen and didn't expect the shot,he nearly soiled himself when I shot.He recovered nicely and said "good work,2 down one to go"

one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
Hey Kickback,
You not only came through with all your flags flying high, you got a trouble on dangerous game, a triple if you count poor Dad in the kitchen!
Jeff in Texas

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please forgive my feeblemindedness,it was Saturday not Sunday.I had been up all night checking cows(calving) I don't know which day of the week it is half the time.The next set of twins I'll name "Dan & Derf" I already have a "Nedd"

one of us
posted Hide Post
jump

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is nice to be able to say you have the ugliest bull calf in Montana named after you in recognition of your dedication to cats. Thanks again Kickback

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
May that other "derf" be shortlived! Uh, I Am assuming you are refering to a crat? derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
Two-fers are among my favorites stories. Someone else here posted about a two-fer using a 30cal Mag shooting 110gr. Awesome.

If the third cat has any sense you may have to change tactics. There's a good chance he won't come close enough, especially if he witnessed the vaporizing of his buddies.

I suggest a high perch and your favorite rifle, the bigger the better. If you go really big you might warn your father this time. Wink

Good work, what a son to have.

When I mention a cartridge,the rifles involved:
22LR Cooey SingleShot | 22 Hornet 40sCZ | 223Rem CZ 527 Varmint
30-06 Husqvarna Sporter | 300 WinMag A-BoltII S/S BOSS | 458 WinMag Ruger #1

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was opening morning for my first ever deer season. I was only 12 and not too wise in the ways of shooting. We lived 20 miles out of town and were going to go out after breakfast for my first deer hunt. I was anxious and got up early. While in the bathroom I looked out the window and saw a buck in the back yard. I got my rifle, a M70 in 300 H&H, opened the bathroom window and aimed at the deer. I didnt' know enough to put the barrel out the window so when I pulled the trigger it was LOUD in the bathroom. I had not prewarned my father or mother and all hell broke loose when I fired from inside the bathroom. I thought I was in for the wipping of my life from my career Marine father. I explained what I had done with a lot of "yes Sir"s thrown in. He looked out the window while yelling at me and saw that I had indeed shot a buck. Silence fell over the crowded bathroom. I was in great fear at that point until I saw the grin come across his stern face. I wasn't completely off the hook but when he said "Good shooting" I knew I wouldn't get a wipping.

Prewarn your father before you shoot your next crat.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Egads OEH, can you still hear? Confused Made my ears ring just reading about it! Eeker

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.Confined.Concussion

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to NAM I have permanent ringing in both ears. Went to closest hospital in Hawaii and got checked up. It was an Army hospital. They started processing me for
immediate discharge and had to stop when they found out I was in the Navy. Navy just gave me orders to another ship. The worst thing for me now is to be in a quiet room.
They are so noisey for me. Seven different sounds in one ear and five in the other.
The gunshot from the bathroom made my ears ring for only a few hours. I always wear
hearing protection now when shooting or going to concerts or attending meetings at work.

That was the best tasting venison. Let it hang for three days until rigor was over and then we cut it into roasts, steaks, and stew meat. Just a small four point but I was proud of it. Favorite meal was a vension steak with a couple of quail on the side for
variety. Ate a lot of pheasant then also until the city folks started dumping crats in our area. Became a serious crat hunter then. Even ran a trapline for crats. Got some pretty big and mean feral cats. A local bobcat figured out what I was doing and I saw him once kill and eat a feral cat in my trap. Damn fine bobcat. Never shot him.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cat number 3 has departed to a better place.About 0:900 he was stalking the edge of the hayfield.Hvy Barreled .223 with a 37 gr Calhoon doublehollowpoint,an excellent choice.Got real nice lift.Pa yelled"And he scores".A nice Tabby troll