THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    Cats to receive legal protection

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cats to receive legal protection
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I think the Bill is aimed at people who eat them, but just killing them may be criminalized:

Posted on: Friday, February 11, 2005
Legislation aims to criminalize eating dogs, cats

By Gordon Y.K. Pang
Advertiser Capitol Bureau

Killing, selling or buying any dog or cat for food would be a felony under a bill that cleared the House Judiciary Committee yesterday.

The original House Bill 866 dealt only with stray or stolen dogs and cats, but the committee added language that included all canines and felines following overwhelming testimony at the state Capitol yesterday.

Cathy Goeggel, director of Animal Rights Hawai'i, said federal officials believe the use of dog meat is a thriving business in the state. "If compassion doesn't move you to pass (the bill), perhaps the public health aspects might persuade you," she said. "There is no oversight over the slaughter, packaging or sanitation of cat and dog carcasses."

Goeggel was among those who urged lawmakers to include all dogs and cats in the prohibition, not just stolen and stray animals.

Carroll Cox of EnviroWatch Inc. said he purchased a black labrador from a man who promised that he could get other dogs. "Healthy household pets stolen from their owners are being butchered for consumption," Cox said. The man, Cox said, agreed to sell him the dog for $50 less than the original $150 asking price because he told him he did not need to receive the animal dead.

Not all lawmakers are enthusiastic about the bill. Committee members Joe Souki, D-8th (Wailuku, Waiehu) and Alex Sonson, D-35th (Waipahu, Crestview), voted for the bill with reservations.

Sonson told reporters he believes consumption of dogs and cats is not widespread in Hawai'i and that the bill perpetuates an ethnic stereotype that he has fought against since arriving from the Philippines as a youth.

While eating cats and dogs may be a practice in some areas of Asia, Sonson said, "I've never seen it in Hawai'i, at least not in modern days. I don't think the bill is necessary. What I heard today doesn't convince me that it's happening," he said.

The Judiciary Committee also advanced a bill that would allow pet owners to set up trust funds that would provide for their pet's care after the pet owner dies.

"Most pet owners will find a person who is willing and capable of caring for their pet, but sometimes the person is unable to do so financially," said Pamela Burns, chief executive of the Hawaiian Humane Society. "By establishing a trust fund to pay for their pet's care, they can rest assured that their pet can live out its life in comfort and love."

Reach Gordon Y.K. Pang at gpang@honoluluadvertiser.com or at 525-8070.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
So, I guess shooting them for sport is still okay! thumb

Toolmaker

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are correct. Only the meat hunters need to be worried about it. I read the Bill, and each instance of what constitutes a violation is followed by the qualifier "for the purpose of human consumption".

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That might put a dent in Dragon Lady's bonnet but hey, half the fun is in the shootin', I can live without the eatin' part. Wink

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.WatchOut.Possums !

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Hey folks! Don't be letting those liberals infringe on my rights to establish my own menu. They are doing this for those that want to marry their pets. This part of the "Get McDonalds" push "At first they came for my guns, later they came and got my KFC!"

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got to say one thing, a red neck truism if you will. Illegal pussy tastes better....

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.WaitinForThe.SeasonToClose

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I suspect that in many areas, legal protection against shooting is already present. I have no doubt that public knowledge of shooting a cat/dog ect. would result in animal cruelty charges in many locations. Even worse, it would likley be a felony charge. Use of the three s's is becoming almost mandatory.

MFH

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I used to live in Hawaii. The main island, Hawaii, is largely populated by people with Asian roots. It is possible that the locals and the white folks are reacting to what may be a common practice amoung some Asians who may still consider dog to be a good protein source.
If it happens in one state it could be leveraged in other states by PETA types to further control public behavior. Although it may make some people ill to think of it, but some animals we consider beloved pets are good to eat also. I unknowingly ate puppy in the Phillipines. Tastes alot better than dried monkey. You feed your dogs and cats horse meat whether you know it or not. Some people consider our eating of eggs to be very gross. Each to his own. Too bad it has to be legislated.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Hey, do not forget or own "Nobel Red Man" types. They to have had a taste for dog, for many moons. Our best hope to defeat this over legislation is to hope they (NRM) will claimm some sort of religious connetion to eating dog. They already get by with killing eagles.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
F**k eatin' em.
I looked all thru that bill and nowhere,repeat nowhere,does it say you even have to pick them up after you kill em.

(stolen from DD)
www.turkeybuzzardsgalore.com

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back when Judge Joe Wopner was on the TV show "Peoples Court" there were two things you could count on. If a dog breathed out of rhythm in any way,the owner was going to pay. Leash laws and all covered it. I don't recall ever seeing a cat owner have to pay. Ruling was always that a cat is a wild animal and whatever they did was what a cat is supposed to do. I have to ask,if the cat is wild and "owner"has no responsibility for it's action,how can they be the owner? You didnt kill their cat. It doesn't belong to them. The govt does regulate and monitor food products. So a facility processing dogs and cats and selling to the public but not govt regulated would be illegal.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are right Carpetman. BTW there is quite a body of ancient, medieval and modern "cat" law on the books that is regularly looked at in checking for precedents including your question. Perhaps one of our experts can provide the definitive answer (for us to ignore). Wopner is a cat lover.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan's Law:

You spray, you pay.
Make meow sounds, you go down.
Kill birds, be transformed into turds.
Hiss, turn into mist.

ANY QUESTIONS? Confused

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.WhackSplat.DeadCrat

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Dan,,,Thats a pretty nifty little ditty there Cool Best law I've read in all my life Big Grin In fact I just might have to run this by big brother,along with making hickory sticks the state stick of md,,,rather versatile,,tool handles,,self defence,,,,short range hunting,,,when you bag your quarry and get it home,,,you can shave off a few curls and toss them on the fire as you're grilling for that famous sought after flavor,,,all from the same simple stupid stick,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Poletax! Perhaps your first experience eating pussy was not so good, eh?

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Poletax, is going to make Dragon Lady very mad, with him not wanting to eat plenty pussy. shame

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention--would seem to me if you apply the mentioned Joe Wopner law that cats are wild that would make them all feral----that's too broad. Here is a more specific way of determining if they are feral. (1)Was it on your property--or some other place? If so it's feral. (2)was it alive?--if so it is feral. Don't kill someones pet--only kill feral cats.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys are way off base. Someone in the Hawaiin legislature saw Ned's post on the Theory of Relativity. Wink derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that Hawaiian (sp) legislators don't have enough to do.

Perhaps the legislature needs to take a recess. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ost legislators don't have enough to do. That is why so little gets done.

one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
You got a good idea there,Hog Killer.
Maybe Dragon Lady could beat me up and force feed me. Smiler

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Poletax, Dragon Lady no need force food to you GI! One taste you eat rike rittre pig! Come see Golden Chopstix, you see then for sure GI.
You want Princess Li beat you up there speciar surcharge for that. Must wait untir after crosing. Li promise no permanent damage or scar. Wink

one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
I got socks older than Princess Li.
I'm looking for a whoopin' from a Lady.