THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    300 win mag for coyote and ground hogs

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 win mag for coyote and ground hogs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just found out that in MN I can hunt these species year round. I have a 22 lr, but like the idea of practicing at farther distance with a scope. I bought a box of 110 gr Hornady v-max bullets for this purpose. Yes I've looked at the manual, but I'm looking for any loads anyone has tryed and I'ld like to know if anyone has used their 30 calibers for varmit hunting.
Also, is coyote an alright meat to cook and eat, or is it a bad idea because of possible diseses?

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had a skinner as a caretaker at our range and she'd throw out coyote carcasses and none of the carrion eaters would go near them.you be the judge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Groundhogs yes, Coyotes No, unless your not using the hides, Eating a Coyote no, would you eat a dog?

loud pipes save lives

Posts: 100 | Location: New Enterprise PA | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Benwillweit:
Groundhogs yes, Coyotes No, unless your not using the hides, Eating a Coyote no, would you eat a dog?

people eat alligator, and that is a predatory animal that tastes pretty good. if you sat down and all your friends were eating dog and it tasted great, would it be so wierd then? I don't know anyone that hunts cotote so I thought I'ld find out more info from some people online if they are edable/nonedable/bad/good ect....

anyways, has anybody used their 30 cals for varmit hunting? don't say use another gun, because my other gun is a 45-70

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recommend coyote. It tastes like chicken.

Posts: 200 | Location: alberta canada | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoot with your regular hunting loads. Good practice. Save the dogs for the Mung. They used to eat the carp we bow shot and left on the bank. If they eat sewer carp, dog should be no problem for them. Waste not want not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeah, now that I you mention it, I should just stick to using my regular hunting loads. oh well, I already bought the 110 gr v-max bullets, so I might as well use them up

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gohip2000:
yeah, now that I you mention it, I should just stick to using my regular hunting loads. oh well, I already bought the 110 gr v-max bullets, so I might as well use them up

Gohip,

I shoot several hundred each summer at pds through a dedicated 300 wm pd rifle. I haven't reloaded any for some time so I can't remember if it is 78 or 76 grains of IMR 4350. I will look it up when I get home tonight, and update you at that time. WW brass and CCI primers.

Out of a 1-10 you may be able to drive them too fast, and they will let go. In testing if some careen into the dirt nowhere near where you are aiming, then back off on the powder just a little.

Later,

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pdhntr1:
quote:

Gohip,

I shoot several hundred each summer at pds through a dedicated 300 wm pd rifle. I haven't reloaded any for some time so I can't remember if it is 78 or 76 grains of IMR 4350. I will look it up when I get home tonight, and update you at that time. WW brass and CCI primers.

Out of a 1-10 you may be able to drive them too fast, and they will let go. In testing if some careen into the dirt nowhere near where you are aiming, then back off on the powder just a little.

Later,

Jim

Looked it up and it is 78 gr. of IMR 4350. Although it is not a hot load in my rifle, reduce and work up.

I think you will like this bullet.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

thanks for the load info, Ill work up to that 1/2 a grain at a time and see what shoots most accurate
Gohip,

Later,

Jim

Looked it up and it is 78 gr. of IMR 4350. Although it is not a hot load in my rifle, reduce and work up.

I think you will like this bullet.

Jim

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I have killed hundreds of PD's with mine, wind is not a factor!!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
125 grain Nosler BT's work good in my .300 Winny for groundhogs.

Don Nelson
Sw. PA.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a lot of grounhogs, and a few prairie dogs with my .300. I used 200 grain bullets, because it was a sub-moa hunting load and good practice. I used to shoot the 110's out of an '06 with very good results. Big Grin

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago when there were a lot of jack rabbits I would use a 308 Norma Mag with 165 Gr bullets . Better than target shooting to get ready for big game hunting.

tuck2

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
I bought some 55 grain bullets for my 300 Wby Mag & they are rockets, I clocked them at just over 4200 at the range but they lose gas quick. I'd stick with the 110's you bought.

I could get my load data later when I'm at the house if you are interested in what the exact load was.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would assume you were using sabots to load those 55 gr. bullets. What kind of accuracy did you get?

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
No sabots, they were very light 55 grain 30 caliber bullets. I'll look at the name, etc when I get home tonight & post the details. I know the guy I bought them from got them from some varmint hunting site, but I don't remember the name.
I was amazed at the accuracy & they would sure blow up a watermelon but again at long range (300+ yards) they lost gas very quick.
I believe I had them loaded at 81 grains. I was nervous to shoot the first one to say the least.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
55 Gr.in .30 cal?!?!?

That thing must have been about as wide as it was long.

Posts: 13781 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can use 150 or 170 gr bullets made for the 30-30. Those new pointed ones from Hornady would be just the thing assuming you don't want to save the hide. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use my regular hunting loads on praire dogs with my .300 WM - 180 gr NP or TBBC. Work fine for me and is good practice.

Posts: 10179 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
If you do eat the coyotes be careful. You may find yourself howling at night and then bending
over to lick your nuts. jumping

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was curious about the .300 Win for small game also. I eventually want to get a dedicated .22 centerfire for hunting small critters but right now there are other firearms purchaches I want more, leaving my .300 to fill the task. I went to the Nosler factory a few weeks agon and picked up a bunch of 125 grain Ballistic Tips to try out. Does any one have a load I could try? I have been looking online a little but have had no luck. I even checked the Nosler site and there was no listing for the 125 grainers. Any ideas?

one of us
posted Hide Post
83.1 grains of H4831 is working for me.

Don Nelson
Sw. PA.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote