Find
Notify
Tools

A Noise in the Night
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
After a very long road trip for work yesterday My day had started at 0200 to drive 4 hours north for a conference and then drive back. So, naturally I was a bit tired. I slid into bed at 2200 hours hoping for no disturbances.

It wasn't to be.

While in la-la land I could hear the sound of claws on metal, scratching, over and over. You know that sound, it makes your skin crawl. I awoke at 0300 hearing this and KNEW something was in my barn. I got up and grabbed my Mag light and ready to roll 10/22.

Cobwebs in eyes still I listened outside the main door of the barn.... Silence.

I scanned the pasture with the mag light looking for the red glow of varmint eyes. NOTHING.

What ever it was must still be in the barn.

I opened the door just enough for me to shine the Mag's bright beam inside with one hand and the now ready 10/22 with the other. NOTHING.

So I switched on the lights and began methodically searching the animal stalls for the legal occupants and for what ever illegal thing was in there. All of my animals seemed fine. A head count of each stall proved so. Hmmmm.

Just as I was about to give up, thinking what ever it was escaped I heard a huge commotion up in the hay loft. DAYAM! Something was scrambling at the end double door where they are on a slide and it opens for hay deliveries. It is hooked shut when not in use to keep the weather out of the mow.

I called the dog and we ran up the stairs and flipped the lights on. The noise silenced when we were about half way up. There is only about 30 bales of hay up there now but enough for things to make a good hide in.

From the stairs end I could see the double doors had been pryed apart midway up. What ever it was got the top hook open. So did it get away or was it hiding in the hay right next to the sliding doors??????

I have a tarp over some house hold goods stored up there too. I checked that right away and saw no varmints, just Mimi, my half siamese watching for me to shoot "something". I knew what ever it was she did not like it being there.

I sent the dog to search the hay and she did not respond to any scent or see anything. I kicked the bales trying to dislodge any freeloaders. Nothing came out.

If what ever it was got through the sliding doors it had a 25 foot drop to the ground. I hope that hurt.

It's either a cat or coon. Will be setting baits tonight.

You all ever hear for something called Fly Bait? Mix it in a dish with Pepsi and it kills anything that consumes it before it can make 10 feet from the pan. Kind of like having a pet mamba.

mgun I am at war.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A sure killer Of feline type intruders is 1/2 doz Asprin crushed into a sauser of milk! I've used 1080& Stricnyne For dingos over the years & I thought that was fast !But for "Stifferning" Cats the Asprin is just the trick!

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
be very careful - it might just the ghost of big al

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Naw, it ain't Big Al. It gets way too cold up thataway. Ann, y'all have any nightshade up there? Castor? There's also this little red bead like thing down here, has a black tip, about baby aspirin sized. Never can remember the name of it but it will drop any mammal on the planet. Kids die every year down here from eating them... Frowner

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.Friendly.Pharmacuticals

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote