New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small Game Bullet Tool
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Since Hanned Line stopped making their 22 rimfire Small Game Bullet tool (and everything else apparantly) I'm wondering if anyone else is selling anything like it? Does anyone know if Beljan Mfg is still make their version of the SGB tool? I know Paco Kelly makes a die that does something similar but I'm not too keen to start whacking on rimfires with a punch and a hammer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What actually was this device and what did it do to the bullets?

Sounds interesting!

Posts: 197 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi Vince:
What actually was this device and what did it do to the bullets?
Something like this: http://beartoothbullets.com/tips/archive_tips.htm/25

But prettier: http://users.htcomp.net/tbelding/browning/buckmark.html

Here's some links with a picture of the Hanned Line SGB tool or its results...

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/index.cfm?magid=33

http://users.adelphia.net/~parslowb/images/SGBandDynapoint.jpg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those of us too lazy to make a tool and use it on our .22 ammo, CCI is making the SGB cartridge again. Very accurate in my 39a.

Posts: 142 | Location: southwest Missouri | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your first link has all the instructions needed to make one.

Just print off the page and take to a gunsmith or any machinist/engineer and it shouldnt cost much.

Get him to use steel that can be hardened and it will last you a lifetime.

Posts: 197 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi Vince:
Your first link has all the instructions needed to make one.

Just print off the page and take to a gunsmith or any machinist/engineer and it shouldnt cost much.

Get him to use steel that can be hardened and it will last you a lifetime.
Such is my plan, though I'll have it made with a counterbore for the rim, like the original. Anyone else interested?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carlos111:
CCI is making the SGB cartridge again
Well and truly said, but there are wags who argue the sharp edged meplat of home cut SGBs work better on game, and they can be cheaper than the CCI stuff (which I have found accurate and reliable as well).

Picture of lgsracer
posted Hide Post
Paco Kelly still makes rimfire reforming tools:

http://www.leverguns.com/store/acurizer.htm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fooled around with a lot of different 22 ammunition in my quest for a good red squirrel stopper. They outnumber greys in patch of woods and are considerably tougher to kill.

Yes, I go for head shots when presented, but we all know that is not always the case, and at 70 yards standing or kneeling I often go for center of mass. With that in mind, I found that even standard velocity hollow points broke up and that standard round noses would often leave reds dragging themselves away in pain.

I was a big proponent of the SGB from CCI, but then switched to the Remington Viper. I shoot a Sako 94 and it shoots the Remingtons better than the CCI. The solid, truncated cone has a good frontal area and seems to really take the wind out of the sails of any squirrel. It is in the higher velocity tier of rounds. Believe it is a 36 grainer, but with a standard case length. My Sako won't even chamber stuff like CCI Stingers. Give the Vipers a try, but be sure not to use the nearly identically packaged Yellow Jacket, which is also a hot rod, but with very explosive hollow point.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Quite some time ago a friend used a piece of aluminum round stock to make a 22 LR point cut off tool for me. The hole fits the case lightly and there is a recess for the rim. I use a knife blade to slice of the nose of Aguila HPs where just the bottom of the HP hole is visible. 2 grains off the 38 grain subconicos. The befores shoot excellently to 60 yards or so and so do the afters. Not quite minute of squirrel head that far, but AH!, that is field shooting. I have no doubt the flatted bullets are better killers on head and chest shots.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used 3/4" square stock to make mine. I cut to length, drilled a hole for the cartridge and a larger one 1/16th deep for the rim. I heated it till it was batween a dull orange and a light red then dumped it into a soda can full of cutting out. If you make 3 be advised that the oil will boil over when you finish the third one. Don't ask me how I know and clean up is a mess. Gianni

Posts: 183 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 22 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
How well do these feed through a semi-auto?

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The flat meplat on the CCI SGB doesn't feed reliably in my Ruger auto pistol. Don't know how it would do from a tubular magazine, but that's a good question. Next time my brother and I shoot .22s, I'll try it in his Nylon 66 (he doesn't trade guns very often).

Posts: 142 | Location: southwest Missouri | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote