New
Find
Notify
Tools

gas & the woodchuck
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK so this maybe should go in the varmit forum, but cratblasters will appreciate it more. Seems as a friend has a job that takes him away from home a bunch. Last week he comes home and finds out that a woodchuck, or family of them has made his backyard their home. Waiting them all out with a 45 didn't do the trick, and he was due to leave again. SO - go & get a couple 5 gals cans of gas. pour down the holes, light a piece of cannon fuse and stand back. From the story he tells when it went off about half of his backyard sort of lifted up in the air and then settled back down again. Little fires kept popping up for quite a while afterwards. Then if that doesn't get the wife excited enuf, when his 2 teenage boys come back from school, he tells them about it and they of course wanted to see it, SO we go through the whole thing again.
end results - 0 woodchucks left, wife comes home - time to leave for work again, no use in talking to her, wouldn't do any good anyway

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeehahh!! You could have tried poison gas too--put a 10" length of garden hose down the hole, then put a funnel in the top end. Pour a cup of laundry bleach down the funnel, then pour a cup of ammonia down. Take the funnel out and blow a full breath down the hose to get it all into the den. Don't take a breath and be sure and fill in the hole and tamp the earth down tightly. The white fumes you might see are a poisonous gas and will take care of the problem without problems for tree roots, septic systems, and wives. I use it for armadillos and it works like a charm. Just not as much fun maybe.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of Crimson Mister
posted Hide Post
Wow! I like that one. clap Next time I have a ground hog problem, I'll get some gas and call the brother-in-law up. Tell him to grab a twelve pack and come over and watch the show.

I wonder about the effect of a 20# bottle of propane and some copper tubing. bewildered

Some people are a lot like Slinkies: They're not good for much but it's kind of fun to push them down a flight of stairs.

Posts: 772 | Location: Norwalk, Wisconsin | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
The gas idea is used by a lot of farmers ( a cup per hole ) .
I bet 5 gallons caused a mess lol.

I bet propane would be fun also .

Years back I tryed carbide and water .
I had 1/2 gallon can of carbide that was all rusty .
So I dumped it down several conected woodchuck holes followed by 5 gallon of water .
I covered all the holes I could find with dirt .
I waited 10 or so min and then opened a hole , stood back ( a smart move ) and thru a flare into the open hole .

After I picked myself off the ground I got the neibors back hoe to refill the crater .
I figure I blasted 2 or 3 bucket loads of dirt into the creek .
What I did was easy to explain to dad and the neibor , but the cops were not happy .
I guess I rattled a few windows acrost the creek

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My company uses pallets of carbide. I've been trying to tell them how much fun that stuff is. jumping

Some people are a lot like Slinkies: They're not good for much but it's kind of fun to push them down a flight of stairs.

Posts: 772 | Location: Norwalk, Wisconsin | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rich Cale:
My company uses pallets of carbide. I've been trying to tell them how much fun that stuff is. jumping

My brother and I took an empty oil drum and carried it into the forest. We put in in a open place, put some carbide into it with a pint of wter. We close the lid and ignited a sparkler, that was glued through a nailed hole in the drum. Than we ran!

And that was a real blast! The drum blew the rusty bottom and rocketed up between the pines.

I have some carbide left in the garage. Maybe I should get an old oil drum once again. You never get too old to play. Big Grin

Fritz

The true and only Fritz Kraut

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
wonder about the effect of a 20# bottle of propane and some copper tubing.

Uh, NO! Conventional explosives, gas, chemical warfare, all that is just a riot. Using propane is not unlike building your own fuel vapor bomb. Eeker Please, trust me on this one, DON'T! The back yard will do more than lift up a little. Eeker

On the same note as gasoline, I did something similar with a yellow jacket colony once, pouring maybe a 1/4 pint into a nest entrance and lighting it. Burned for a minute, the lawn boy with all the whelts on his summer clad body cheering as their flaming carcasses arced out of the entrance for a few seconds. Then came a muffled 'whump', and white smoke jetted out of the ground from about a dozen vents in a 20' radius around ground zero. A brief pause then another 'whump' and a few scattered jets of orange flame for a few minutes...the kid was ecstatic. Hope I didn't create a mad bomber that day, but the YJs were history. thumb

The difference between gasoline and propane is the fuel/air mix...gas tends to require a lot of time to disperse into an explosive mixture, propane doesn't as it is already gaseous.

Dan

POTYHC

www.SnakeN.Nape

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Awhile back I posted about a friend who poured gasoline down a rathole out by his Dads barn.
It lit up fairly well and everyone was smilin' until a flaming rat burst outta the hole and ran into the barn.
The structure looked a lot like the Hindenburg by the time the volunteer firemen got there.Ya had to stand way back.
A new steel building stands there now.I don't know what they told their insurance company. bewildered

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
Jeeze, why does everybody have to do things the hard and dramatic way? Farmers have been doing the "hose on the exhaust pipe" method ever since internal combustion tractors have been around.

HTRN

Posts: 261 | Location: In my Subterranean lair, okay, I admit it, it's a basement | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HiTech, we knowd all about that from derf, but where's the fun in that? Spectacular , word of the day!

Dan

POTYHC

www.VeinsHangin.InMyTeeth

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
Stories that involve "Spectacular" often end with "and that's when we got to the emergency room". thumbdown

HTRN

Posts: 261 | Location: In my Subterranean lair, okay, I admit it, it's a basement | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HTRN:
Stories that involve "Spectacular" often end with "and that's when we got to the emergency room". thumbdown

HTRN

That's just part of the charm. Cool

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stories that involve "Spectacular" often end with "and that's when we got to the emergency room".

You say that like its a bad thing. Some of my most spectacular moments have started with the phrase, "Hold my beer."

Now speaking of poison gas...
We used to take a soup can and pour crystal pool shock in it, basically solid bleach, then crimp it on the end of a hose and shove that in the hole. The can would keep the hose from getting plugged with dirt and it would also help it navigate corners better so it could get way down in there. Then plug the holes and pour ammonia down the hose. The next day we'd pull the hose out and treat another hole.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am stunned that the HTRN, the master of spectacular, of ALL people, would say that!!! This smells of a conspiracy to wussify...say it ain't so!!!!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted Hide Post
I say burn them all. I am diggin it. Never though about the exhast fume thing thogh. Good idea and less dramatic I guess.

Most people are link slinkies, Basically useless but fun to push down the stairs.

Posts: 265 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CDH:I am stunned that the HTRN, the master of spectacular, of ALL people, would say that!!! This smells of a conspiracy to wussify...say it ain't so!!!!

Anywhere that my ass is in the sling, I try to avoid situations that will result in a hospital stay. That is why you always keep a coupla stupid friends around: because they can often be goaded into doing it for you. thumb

HTRN

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Somehow HTRN you just don't seem to be yourself lately. Girlfriend got cat?

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've even heard of some folks ending up in the ER following a story that began "Hey, watch this"

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N. S. Sherlock:

Eeker

one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've always prized my skin. And trust me, you don't want to hear about my personal life.

HTRN

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
you don't want to hear about my personal life.

Well, since you put it that way.... Eeker Eeker Eeker

Such thoughts do stir small conundrums amongst remaining neurons though. Will we have to resort to torture to keep you quiet? Confused

Dan

POTYHC

www.I.SawThatMovie

one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
It's not like that - it seems my life lately has turned into a soap opera, and not in a good way.

HTRN

one of us
posted Hide Post
HTRN You seem like one of the good guys. Can I send you a couple dozen cats to take it out on?

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exhausting critters is good but Dayamn I do love a good explosion! Big Grin clap Acetalene makes for some big booms and goes great with cannon fuse and a balloon at night. Since I get lots of 30 pound propane bottles given to me I get to muck about with it a fair bit. Dan is right on! This shit can be spectacular. Roll Eyes derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
quote:
HTRN You seem like one of the good guys. Can I send you a couple dozen cats to take it out on?

I dunno, lately pussy's have been giving me nothing but grief. Wink

HTRN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sincere condolences.

one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sincere condolences.

The sad part is, I'm not involved with any of them, yet she was still causing problems. Thankfully, it seems that I've given her the brushoff for good.

HTRN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Old N.C. saying,"never look a gift horse...."uh, you know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a cartoon of uncle Albert that says it all but I don't know hoe o post it nor the ability to follow simple instruction to do so. Frowner Perhaps one of the people on my email list that I have sent it to could post it since it is relevent to HTRN's situation. Wink derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
Latest development - a woman on another forum that I'm on PM'd me yesterday out of the blue, wanting to know what I looked like, in nudge, nudge, wink, wink sort of way.

I decided to do some research and go through the forum and read some of her posts.. Turns out she's a crat owner. Frowner

4 of 'em. Eeker

HTRN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Latest development - a woman on another forum that I'm on PM'd me yesterday out of the blue, wanting to know what I looked like, in nudge, nudge, wink, wink sort of way.

I decided to do some research and go through the forum and read some of her posts.. Turns out she's a crat owner. Frowner

4 of 'em. Eeker

HTRN

Nothing wrong with a quickie and a little target practice afterward. Cool

one of us
posted Hide Post
Frustrated woman looking for a primal man who knows how to treat a Pu.., er a Cat?

one of us
posted Hide Post
the propane gas down the hole is not for the faint hearted and should only be attempted by the certified!!(insane) Seeing 2-3 cubic yards of earth lift up and resettle in close proximity of your neighbours certainly wet your dress...
One of our Italian friends told us of one of the most exciting episodes he had ever had. It involved catching a live rat wiring a petroleum soaked rag to its tail, ignition and then down the hole, rats galore!!!

regards
griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
The only cat I like moves 4 1/2 cu/yd of earth at a scoop,,get'er done!!!!!Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

4 of 'em. EekerHTRN

If you want to put her off send her a pic of you and your lion dogs along with a message that you really like crats and your puppies need exercise! Eeker Wink derf

one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted Hide Post
http://www.rodenator.com/

Be sure to download the video, it is a hoot!

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress." Mark Twain

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my fondest childhood memories stems from the day my Uncle decided to rid his way too large lawn of an infestation of moles. He went around the yard and pluged up every exit he could find excepting two, by one he planted his ass on my tricycle with a six pack and a beretta submachine gune that found it's way back from Normandy with him, (he claimed it followed him). Down the other he stuffed a hose and turned on the water, He also had a 10ga flare pistol in case one of the wounded should charge. It was a fun afternoon.
BK

Posts: 107 | Location: Wet side | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by worriedman:
http://www.rodenator.com/

Be sure to download the video, it is a hoot!

Organic? animal rotflmo A propane explosion is organic?

That is a beautiful instrument, but $1800 is a little more expensive than a few gallons of gasoline.

one of us
posted Hide Post
this will be right up you all then

http://www.rodenator.com/videos.htm

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lol you beat me to it.....

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote