Notify
Tools

Red garden lynx
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted
Gentleman,

today morning I saw a fat red tomcat in the garden. I cannot say, that I appreciated the view as spring is here - the bird have eggs in their nests and sunday morning the hedgehogs mated behind the rhubarber. That red beast will devour everything alive in the garden and not leave anything undamaged. He will piss on my car tyres and dig up our daffodils when dropping his litter.

If we lived at the countryside, there would be no problem at all - I could just enjoy the double blast from both barrels of my shotgun. But now I am living in the town, and there would be problems with the local sheriff for having shot in town, and also for having shot mrs. Svensson's nice little pet kitten.

So, what are your advice? Build a cratapult? Feed him with laxative meat balls? Dye him green?

All suggestions are welcome!

Fritz

The true and only Fritz Kraut

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
Hasn't someone here suggested a large drum half-full of water with styrofoam package peanuts floating on top and then placing an open can of tuna in the center of the peanuts.

Very quiet and problem solved.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or feed him some nice chocolate? stir derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Fritz!
Some general tips, depending on the "law" and the willingness of the local police. There is actually still a thing called temporary permit for shooting inside city planned areas (available in sweden under special circumstances), although I highly doubt that a permit will be granted for this purpose. If you can apply for this You would be legally dispatching that vermin, preferrably with the Zkw and a 35-40gn V-max and 12-13gn lil´gun. Less noice than the shotgun but the same devastating effect on close range.

Second, if shooting is not an option where You live, buy a trap (or make it at home)
(swedish cat trap)
Bait it properly inside the garage, or where the crat tends to walk, or in a place where it is not seen by crat-lovers.
When the said crat is caught, act according to Your own concience and dispatch of it properly, the crat trap should fit inside a car for one-way transport outside the non-shooting area, or to a swimming session with an cast-iron lifejacket? It´s Your catch, decide how to dispose/dispatch it.

Sincerely
Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crimson Mister
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ben589:
Hasn't someone here suggested a large drum half-full of water with styrofoam package peanuts floating on top and then placing an open can of tuna in the center of the peanuts.

Very quiet and problem solved.

Positively brilliant!

I was thinking Havahart sealed in a cardboard box with a piece of flexpipe hooked to the exhaust pipe of your car.

Some people are a lot like Slinkies: They're not good for much but it's kind of fun to push them down a flight of stairs.

Posts: 772 | Location: Norwalk, Wisconsin | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
There is yet a third way to seek civil relief. Complain to authorities that you were nearly bitten by a kitten that was sittin' in your garden and that you feared for the beast having rabies, distemper, or some other disease and had to run inside to avoid a serious attack and wounding. Surely you must also tell them that you had earlier seen the thing stalking an infant in the park whose mother was not paying close attention and the baby was only saved when an elder woman's small pet on a leash nearby was attacked instead, causing the grandmotherly type person to hobble away dragging her poor little savaged pet. You were so shocked you did not know which way to turn. Feel free to add any additional facts pertinent to the nasty little bugger's predations in the neighborhood. I am sure you know the "right" things to point out. Voila'. Problem solved at no expense.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of panzerguy
posted Hide Post
I hate to be a "grammar lawyer," but the official terminology would be either "lawn lynx" or "garden gato".

Otherwise, welcome to the "crat killing" forum.

Posts: 278 | Location: Wherever I park my tank | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Katttällan har en lucka som i uppgillrat läge samtidigt utgör skyddstak för fällan. Den har en mycket exakt avgillring som är ställbar med en vingmutter. Fällan fångar även mindre djur som mink, mård och ekorre mm.

En säkringsspärr finns monterad på sidan. Genom att fälla upp den är fällan säkrad vid inmatning.

En fjäderbelastad bygel stänger luckan snabbt och låser luckan i avgillrat läge. Baktill finns en liten lucka som används för att placera betet i fällan samt vid avlivning.

Kattfällan har bärhandtag av vävt band.

Kattfällan avgillras med trampplatta. Väggarna är invändigt helt släta för att fångat djur inte ska skada sig.

Konstruktionen gör att den uppgillrade kattfällan blir mycket ljus och öppen i ingången.

Material: Botten och tak av K-plyfa 15 mm. Sidor av K-plyfa 9 mm. Lucka formplyfa 12 mm med träreglar.
Alla metalldelar av aluminium eller galvaniserade.
Vikt: Kattfällan väger endast 7 kg.

Kattfällan levereras i monteringssats vilket sparar utrymme och fraktkostnader. Allt material och monteringsbeskrivning medföljer. Delarna monteras med 18 spikar och 15 skruvar. Spik och skruv medföljer. Monteringen är enkel och tar c:a 10 minuter.

Fångsttips för katt

Priser och beställning

An obvious answer....dunno why I didn't think of that! Roll Eyes

Dan

POTYHC

www.CratenStompin.Flatten

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DD:
You mean that you cannot understand swedish? wave

I guess that I should have made the link saying swedish crat trap written in swedish instead...
My bad. killpc

Since both Fritz and I live in Sweden I posted a link from a swedish trap manufacturer that makes the goverment-approved cat traps that fulfill the legal requirements of the swedish EPA (environmental protection agency). Since a while back, ALL traps and catching devices must be approved by this govermental branch if they are to be used. Unfortunately the website is not in written in the Kings-english but in the native tounge of swedish.

Sincerely
Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Havahart trap, cat food, broom stick with hole
drilled in one end for rope. Set trap in quite
unobservable area, bait, trap, noose, breathing stops, trip to country. Worked for years.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You mean that you cannot understand swedish?

I understand "Swedish Bikini Team" but that's about it. Big Grin

Dan

POTYHC

www.GoldMedal.Team

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huglu:
DD:
---Since both Fritz and I live in Sweden I posted a link from a swedish trap manufacturer that makes the goverment-approved cat traps that fulfill the legal requirements of the swedish EPA (environmental protection agency). ----

I know about that quite well. However, I choosed this particular forum, because I wanted to ask the real competent expertise of this complicated question. They have already presented some nice ideas which I will seriuosly consider.

BTW - perhaps I should hire the Bikini Team. They could distract the neighbours during the important hunt of the red lynx. Big Grin

Fritz

The true and only Fritz Kraut

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Hello Huglu. Thanks for the official cat trap information. Do you have any other pictures of the traps or links to other sources? I want to build a trap. It is well known that I have built many car related items. It seems that if I were to start documenting undocumented cats that I caught in such a trap, they would all likely have exotic and expensive blood lines and pedigrees and show awards, Swedish for sure, and be very valuable and I could put them in cages and sell them at the flea market where all the kittey huggers look for exotic cats cheap. I could advertise about cats for sale or trade here in the classifieds too. There is a wealth of information on the net about expensive cats. I could at least do as good as "Cat City" at the mall. Oh! BTW. Tell your friend Fritz not to hire the Swedish Bikini Team. They might distract you from "The Hunt for the Red Lynx". I know they would distract me. Therna did for sure!

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of panzerguy
posted Hide Post
True story: I was at an "In progress review" or IPR for the Army. Basically, an IPR is when you get together with a bunch of other military units in order to coordinate an operation you plan to do in the future. We held it at the Airport Marriott in Kansas City. At the same time, Hawaiian Tropic suntan products was holding a convention. My buddy and I played hooky for an afternoon in order to play in the pool and sit in the hot tub. We'd just gotten the hot tub working right, when 6 of the Hawaiian Tropics Girls, in bikinis, came through the door. One of them screeched, "Army Men!" and they all skittered over and jumped into this little bitty hot tub with us, and sat and talked for awhile.

My friend is single, and it became extremely necessary to abandon him to the perils of sharing a four person hot tub with 6 Hawaiian Tropics spokesmodels, as I am happily married and wanted to stay that way. Needless to say, certain parts of me preceded me out the door by a substantial length of time.

For some reason, we now refer to the KC Airport Marriott as "Castle Anthrax". Confused

Posts: 278 | Location: Wherever I park my tank | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote