Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping firearms
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted
This probably not the correct forum for this question, but, folks here seem to have a lot more sense than on most of the other forums. I have traded a shotgun to a guy in MO, and need to know the best method of shipping, UPS or USPS? Also, I have the FFL holders’ address, should I address the package to the FFL holder, in care of the new owner??

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress." Mark Twain

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you need to have an FFL on your end too. It is my understanding that other than for repairs it must be shipped with a signed FFL, to an FFL. Others will correct me if I'm wrong.

UPS has been taking a lot of flak here at AR lately, go with the local USPS.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.PurveyorOfFree.Advice

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Address the package to the FFL holder only. Inside include instructions as who is to receive the firearm. Technically the firearm becomes property of the FFL holder. It is he who then transfers the firearm to the non-licensed individual with due consideration for all applicable firearms laws. This is good. It helps keep your butt out of trouble in case the guy you sold it too is not eligible to receive firearms where he lives. The federal laws are quite clear on this and can be found on the ATF's website. It takes quite awhile to read them. If you have no legal training then they can be a bit confusing. The bottom line is you want to conform with ALL laws pertaining to the transfer of a firearm. The ATF is very unsympathetic if you don't. I personally only sell directly to a FFL holder. It is not worth the hassle if the buyer is not 100% legit. I don't like Kansas and don't want to spend any time at Leavenworth.

You can legally ship a long gun via USPS or UPS only if it is going to a FFL holder, a repair facility, or the orginal manufacturer, never to an unlicensed individual across state lines. I would consult with the USPS BEFORE I took a firearm into a post office. Double box the shotgun but do not seal it up. The shipper will want to inspect the firearm and the packaging.

I would break down the shotgun to make it as short as possible for packing. The less it looks like a box with a gun in it the better. It will also probably survive shipping better. ABSOLUTELY NEVER include any ammo.

Again, don't trust my advice or anyone else's on this. Call the ATF if you have any doubts.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, this is what I dug up on BATF site:

B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be
used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract
carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31][B]

I made it clear that I had to have an FFL holder to ship to on the deal. His stuff arrived today, and in the carton was a signed FFL license from a gun shop in his home town. They should do any checks that are legally required I would think? It appears that I will be abiding by the law as I can read it.

By the way, UPS set out the box on my carport, (open ended), in a pouring rain. There was a barrel in the box, they just dropped it on the end on the concrete floor, when I checked the barrel, it had a ding where it hit the concrete. I had left a note taped to the door of the house, with instructions to leave the box in the car sitting in the carport, and to please lock it. Had to carry the wife to the hospital for a de-clot on her dialysis graft, and to receive a series of angioplasties. Knew we would be gone all day, hence the request to put the box, containing a set of Leica 10X42 Trinovids, and an Encore barrel in the dry. Would have taken two extra steps. When I got home, the box was soaked. I am not impressed with Brown.

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress." Mark Twain

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote