New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kudu Lamps
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Shot this Kudu a few years ago in Namibia; skull for euro was busted up pretty good on shipping and the 2 horns have been kicking around the shop for a bit.

Was already doing some turning work for a customer; so I glued up some African Mahogany and made some floor lamps out of them. All the metal work using copper/ copper finished parts.

I used some copper sheet to plug the ends;

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dinsdale: I think that is a very creative use of your horns.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16430 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, that's very nice...well done... tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool. People would pay money for those.

Hunting is not a matter of life or death....It's much more important

Posts: 338 | Location: Abbotsford BC | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
You can also reverse them, screw a bracket into the horn for wall mounting, and attach the light-bulb socket by means of resin with the wires inside and exiting at the bracket. You may use nearly all antelope horns thus. Wink
Some folk even use them as coffee table legs. Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
I like those alot - great idea!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for comments......

These are going to be part of a larger set. I'm working on 2 chairs with wildebeest upholstered seats and a display glass top table for some skulls and curios. I'll work on them the next few weeks between walks in the woods for our upcoming deer season.

Already having a pedestal and shoulder mount of 2 other kudu, the place just doesn't have room for anymore and this was a space saving way to display this smaller set.

I have a few customer Kudu pedestal bases in a different design sitting here too; waiting on a finish selection by an interior designer in charge of the project. I'll add a few pics when done.

Scriptus; funny that's what these were going to be. But I have no good space for a set of wall sconces......so plans changed in the end.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice job , Dins....
The bases look heavy enough , and large
enough to keep the lamps upright...
I like them .

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1295 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Very creative! I like them.

~Ann

Posts: 19173 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thechamp
posted Hide Post
Very impressive and a 'good save' of a trophy!

Good job...

Posts: 257 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 17 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Nicely done !!!

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These light up the Ingwe Lodge in the Save'.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice simple but very elegant.

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
scriptus,

scroll down and look at the gemsbok horns lamp in my trophy room. Cost me $48 and two hours work.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stealth
posted Hide Post
Dinsdale:

The floor lamps are a unique idea and beautifully executed!

"Personal is not the same as important", Corporal Carrot, Men at Arms

Posts: 144 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 04 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pegleg,

May i ask, on the inverted kudu horn lamp, what is the material used as a "sconce" / shade?

Orvar

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
One of our high school wood shops does work as a sideline. I may see if they can do the same thing for me!
Excellent idea!

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:
One of our high school wood shops does work as a sideline. I may see if they can do the same thing for me!
Excellent idea!

Please post some pics if you get them done. Wink I can always do a set of bases if you can't find anyone local.

Hope to get back to the rest of this set soon, the table and chairs, but had some work and a new roof to put on the shop that came first.I never get my own stuff done.

Thanks for commments all; I like those kudu sconces, I need to go back and hunt another now. tu2