New
Find
Notify
Tools

My "Africa room" Circa 1915 :-)
 Login/Join

Picture of Shikaar
posted
I am a bit Africa History buff and decorated our third floor into my Africa room based on early 1900's East Africa...

Posts: 16 | Location: TX, PA, UT, JBURG | Registered: 07 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done sir. Perhaps you need a Massai Shield with speer and knob kerry to add to your decor! Do you have a library of African books? "Washing of the Spears" should be most prominent.

I truly like the look!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I am glad to see I am not the only guy with a house full of Africana who lives where there is snow stacked up feet deep outside!!

HA HAHHA

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Shikaar
posted Hide Post
Yep we moved from Texas to PA a year ago,, already tired of the snow Smiler

Posts: 16 | Location: TX, PA, UT, JBURG | Registered: 07 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The PA snow is just starting. Where in PA?

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Shikaar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
The PA snow is just starting. Where in PA?

:-) That's what I am told... The snow doesn't bother me as much as the overcast sky for weeks at a time.. This is our second winter here and we will be here for at least three more years (I work in Natural Gas) We live in Waynesburg (South of Pittsburgh)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shikaar,

Great space there. The only thing missing might be some antique framed maps of Africa. So far, my collection consists of one from about 1895 and another from the 1600's. They aren't framed yet, otherwise I'd share pictures. Sadly, my Africa room would have maps, but no trophies (yet). Yours wins by a mile!

Posts: 182 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 12 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
LOVE the elephant tusks hung by the ropes. VERY nice looking but I worry about the physics of it. If this makes sense, it seems like the tendency would be for the small side to be pushed by that rope through the larger side rope? Have you rigged something to prevent them from crashing down? I guess if one had it set up so the larger side were higher than the smaller, that would do it but I don't see that in your pics.

Picture of Shikaar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
LOVE the elephant tusks hung by the ropes. VERY nice looking but I worry about the physics of it. If this makes sense, it seems like the tendency would be for the small side to be pushed by that rope through the larger side rope? Have you rigged something to prevent them from crashing down? I guess if one had it set up so the larger side were higher than the smaller, that would do it but I don't see that in your pics.

Funny you should ask, I got the idea from the tusks on display at the Explorers Club in New York. Your right I had a hard time keeping them from slipping out, On my first try I used a small wire to keep them together, I didn't like the look of it so went with a rough textured rope and and really cinched it tight with a hangmans knot, The don't slip anymore.

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shikaar:
Your right I had a hard time keeping them from slipping out, On my first try I used a small wire to keep them together, I didn't like the look of it so went with a rough textured rope and and really cinched it tight with a hangmans knot, The don't slip anymore.

Maybe a bit of high strength and clear fishing line tied between and connecting the bases of each knot? Run it across the top/rear side of the tusks and it might make for invisible, cheap and reliable insurance to prevent any disasters. Again, the look is fabulous. I like your lion rug too. I can understand guys wanting to do full mounts on a species like that, but the rugs I have seen seem so much classier and understated. There was someone here not long ago who had his lion rug draped over the back of a long narrow sofa table behind his couch. That also looked really really nice.