Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to deodorize tanned skins?
 Login/Join

posted
About a month ago I received my crate of plains game trophys from Zimbabwe including shoulder mount wildebeast ,Zebra skin, Impala skin. I've had the skins hanging up airing outside for a month now, but every time I move them inside, the smell becomes overbearing & I have to move them back outside.
The smell seems to be chemical, & I guess its something used in the tanning process. The Impala skin is a basic flat skin, whilst the zebra skin is lined with felt.
Any suggestions of spraying or even washing the skins, or do I just keep them outside for another month to try & deodorize them?

Posts: 24 | Location: australia | Registered: 07 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eventually it goes away.The first batch I brought in filled the house with smell for a while, and every one after that started the process over again.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
I have read where a pie pan with vinegar in it will remove the smell.

Need to put the skins in an enclosed area and put the vinegar (about 1/4 inch) in a pie pan and seal the area it will take about 5 to 7 days.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1589 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
The smell left all my hides as well with time. The only thing that I have with a smell is my lifesize Warthog and it just has a smell all of its own and it has not gone away. It just smells musty or something. A very distinct smell but I wish it would go away.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote